Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
     I haven't posted much lately because I've been BUSY! Also because I've been hunting when I get a chance. Saturday was the last day of elk season, and though we saw animals each time out we never got a shot at a bull. I did shoot a deer saturday morning though, so at least there's meat in the freezer ( or will be soon, I'm still cutting it up around work etc. )!
       James, for your bullet performance survey- I hit this deer high and broke the spine at approx 200 yards across a clearcut. The 165gr Nosler partition from my 30-06 pulverized a vertebra and left a 1 inch exit hole in the hide. Deer went down like it's legs were cut out from under it. I didn't try to hit the spine, but without a good rest I simply pulled the shot up some. I'm very thankful it was a quick lethal shot despite my error, and thankful for a great day- I had my 9-year old son with me at the time! Good shooting everyone!        IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
     Just a footnote to this post: I went shooting this morning and took along the '06. Prior to hunting season I precisely zeroed at 200 yards. This morning, with ammo from the same box, I hit as much as eight inches high and as much as three inches low at that range. Here's the strange part- I fired ten shots. First three grouped in 2.5" about three inches high. Next two went off the paper, high! Next two were just at the top of the paper, an inch apart. The last three were three inches low, grouped in 1.25".
       I have 9 years experience with this rifle, so I know the rifle normally groups into about 1.5" at 200 yards, hot or cold, clean or dirty and has never changed impact points. All screws were tight! I'd say it's time for the scope to take a trip back to Leupold. It was just in for repairs over the summer, so I bet it just isn't right yet. I only wish it had shown some sign of this behavior BEFORE hunting season!
         At least I feel better about my shooting! I was somewhat upset with myself for not hitting where I was aiming. Now I know why! Again, I'm just thankful it was a clean kill. Take care everyone!        IDShooter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts