Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably not widely known that Australia has big population of deer. Of course we know, we bloody well live here. However, these are all introduced animals and as they have no natural enemies like wolves Coyotes or bears, they live well and prosper. It's got to the point now that farmers are shooting them all over the place because they are a nuisance. There's a number of breeds; Fallow being the most common, as well as Red deer, Chital, Axis, Sambar, Hog Deer, and Rusa. Most of these came to us from Asia, but some, especially the Reds were gifted by the British.
Apart from the deer there's also camels,, goats pigs, wild donkeys and foxes. There's other feral stuff like cats and dogs too. To our south east is New Zealand and they have pretty much the same.
Most of us don't shoot the kangaroos.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Aren't dingos native to Australia? I would have thought they might prey on deer, especially the fawns.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dingos barely get a look in. They live in central Australia and in some national parks but their population has either been diminished or diluted by wild dogs - domestic animals which were dumped and have gone feral. They're becoming a huge issue, especially with stock. There are few places which have both deer and dingos and dingos have easier prey.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why are you complaining mate?! Sounds like a hunter's dream. ;0) BTW Why do the bloody British say "Bloody", so bloody often? ;0) God Bless Ned Kelly!

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's got to the point now that farmers are shooting them all over the place because they are a nuisance.
I am on my way - I make jerky - lots of it - and will gladly start a jerky industry if I can get all venison I can!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Australian, not British. No more British than Canadians are. :D

Did you know that Ned Kelly was a cop killer and horse thief?
FINALLY another Australian that doesn't subscribe to the Ned Kelly cult of personality, as if "Such is life" adds up to some great spiritual and philosophical achievement!
Sorry, but I'm so tired of seeing a sticker of a bloke with a garbage bin on his head and those words plastered across the back of a dodgy 15 yr old Holden like Ned Kelly was some sort of humanitarian.
He wasn't.
[hopping off soapbox and popping hobby horse back in it's stable]

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, but, do you, as an Australian, know why the bloody British say bloody so bloody often? Lots of people from Oz work up here in Banff and Jasper every year. Some good horsemen, most can drink the legs off any Albertan. What I know about Ned Kelly, I learned from books, and the Heath Ledger film, where'd you get yours? AND.....from what I know of history, many Australians are the descendants of Irish (so called) criminals. Being an Irish descendant myself, I naturally feel sympathetic. AND.....it's hardly fair to hold people from that era to today's standards. Just MY opinion.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I guess the main question to ask is, while the British were pretty hard on the Irish, did all Irish immigrants (convicts or no) steal horses and kill cops? The standard for that sort of thing hasn't changed at all, aside of the sentences our magistrates give cop killers soft sentences. I'm not saying we should bring hanging back but the consequences for one's actions seemed in some ways more suited in the 1880s than they are today. Canada under Trudeau can't be a better example of that. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, but, do you, as an Australian, know why the bloody British say bloody so bloody often? Lots of people from Oz work up here in Banff and Jasper every year. Some good horsemen, most can drink the legs off any Albertan. What I know about Ned Kelly, I learned from books, and the Heath Ledger film, where'd you get yours? AND.....from what I know of history, many Australians are the descendants of Irish (so called) criminals. Being an Irish descendant myself, I naturally feel sympathetic. AND.....it's hardly fair to hold people from that era to today's standards. Just MY opinion.
No, I do not know why the British say bloody so often. But seeing as the British (or English) are responsible for the "English" language I guess that they know what they are doing.

It seems to me to be an odd question to ask in a thread about deer in Australia so please forgive me for thinking that you were calling Australian people "British".

As to Ned, it is undisputed that he was a thief and that he ambushed and murdered police, a quick Google search will confirm that for you. I have never watched the Heath Ledger film, but I can imagine that, same as the majority of movies, there is a lot of "artistic licence" taken with the facts and that it shouldn't be interpreted as historical fact.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why do the bloody British?

Just a bit of a joke on my part. I ask people in the UK the same thing. Started out as humor, now it's genuine curiosity. Same thing with "bloke". Never could figure out how that one came into being. Maybe it IS off topic, just thought that fellow "colonials" might know. One thing I DO admire about Oz is the stand your PM took on immigrants . We will NEVER see anything remotely like that out of Trudeau. What I see happening here and in other places is, the systematic infiltration of different cultures into strongly conservative areas, and that destroys the cultural adhesiveness of the original one. Not only gun laws are at stake. The Second Ammendment of the American Constitution is THE finest thing ever put into the laws of ANY nation. AND "they" will try to destroy it just as soon as they can. An armed citizenry is the ONLY thing that protects the populous from the predations of government. Unfortunately, many colonialist-thinking people actually look to government for protection.....instead of to themselves, like men did centuries ago when the US, Canada and Australia. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think, from memory, that "bloody" is a derivative of the old medieval style exclamation "by the blood of Christ" which has been shortened over the centuries. Along the lines of the old French expression sacrebleu. I can't tell you where "bloke" comes from. But I can tell you that the Australian slang for wine is "plonk" and this was a bastardisation of the French word "Blanc" for white. Australian soldiers, unable to get beer during WW1, drank the locally made white wine instead. Likewise the word "grog" comes from the nickname sailors had for rum mixed with water that the Royal Navy served to try and cut down on the cost of rum and also to try and reduce drunkeness (although less this reason). The reason grog is a negative term is because sailors liked their rum straight and often! And further to that, the reason the Royal Navy served rum was as a cheaper liquor than cognac, their original spirit, both because it was pricey and because it was French, which was inconvenient while they were at war on and off with France.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,568 Posts
"Bloody 'ell" is a lot easier to say the "by the blood of Christ 'ell" or maybe that's what krikey means?

RJ

·
Registered
703 Posts
"Bloody 'ell" is a lot easier to say the "by the blood of Christ 'ell" or maybe that's what krikey means?

RJ
I'd say "bloody 'ell" is condensed blasphemy while crikey is disguised blasphemy, much in the same way heck is. ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Patrick O'Brien wrote 28 books about the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic War era. I have every one, read each three times. I know that (Russell Crowe) played Capt. John Aubrey in one of them, but it wasn't accurate from O'Brien's point of view. (The vessel they were chasing was an American frigate, not a French one) In those days France and America, were allied against England.(It had only been 10-15 years since the War of Independence) It was far better built than anything the Brits had at the time, (as were most of the American vessels), and they packed heavier guns, and more of them too. The Constitution was almost invincible (which is why she's nick-named "Old Ironsides).

·
Banned
459 Posts
It's probably not widely known that Australia has big population of deer. Of course we know, we bloody well live here. However, these are all introduced animals and as they have no natural enemies like wolves Coyotes or bears, they live well and prosper. It's got to the point now that farmers are shooting them all over the place because they are a nuisance. There's a number of breeds; Fallow being the most common, as well as Red deer, Chital, Axis, Sambar, Hog Deer, and Rusa. Most of these came to us from Asia, but some, especially the Reds were gifted by the British.
Apart from the deer there's also camels,, goats pigs, wild donkeys and foxes. There's other feral stuff like cats and dogs too. To our south east is New Zealand and they have pretty much the same.
Most of us don't shoot the kangaroos.
Wild dogs , Dingoes , foxes and feral pigs all prey on deer at different ages . If you have ever spent some time in the Aussie bush you would see that two or three foxes will gang up on a small pig a small deer and medium size kangaroos and kill them . Larger deer can be brought down by Dingo and wild dog packs .
The predation is not enough to control the numbers though as there is a huge food source for carnivores . Many wild dogs find it easier to kill sheep so that saves deer and other critters .
The number of Dingos and wild dogs in Australia would outnumber the Wolves in the USA . However White tail deer in the USA would way outnumber say our Fallow deer herds .

·
Registered
94 Posts
You sound Canadian. My daughter turned into one and lives in Vancouver BC. Great when we visit. Our own personnel tour guide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Coyotes, wolves, and bear don't take many white tail deer in the US. Of course they are opportunistic and will kill them if it is easy enough. However, they will feast on the ample amount of road killed deer.

What you need as a deer predator is large cats, mountain lions, jaguar, or African leopard. They would also prey on the feral dogs, no doubt. I'd stay away from importing African lions or Asiatic tigers, though. Actually, any of these would find your sheep a lot easier to prey upon than the deer.

Deer are a big problem in the US also. Not so much as having too many deer, but we've got too many anti-hunters, who prohibit hunting on their property or inside city limits and/or parks. But that doesn't stop complaints about the deer eating shrubbery or the very frequent deer-auto strikes. So what do the municipalities do? They hire professional exterminators to bait the deer and shoot them at night with silenced rifles and night vision optics. The meat is wasted, since the officials don't want the public to know that the deer are being exterminated.

White tails are creatures of woods margins. They preferentially feed on twigs, bark, and tree buds in the winter. Since the land has been cleared for the most part, except for small patches, there is much more margin areas now than 500 years ago. It's estimated that there are 10-20x more deer in North America now than 500 years ago.

There are also many fewer elk, moose, grizzly bear, and bison.

The US is starting to have a serious problem with feral pigs. They are in all 50 states and really beginning to cause a lot of damage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Patrick O'Brien wrote 28 books about the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic War era. I have every one, read each three times. I know that (Russell Crowe) played Capt. John Aubrey in one of them, but it wasn't accurate from O'Brien's point of view.
Still a bit off topic... But..they did make it to Australia in one book, and Steven Maturin got fanged (jabbed?) by a Platypus. There was a more than a bit of literary license in "Master and Commander" . It was IMNHO a successful combination of two of O' Brian's books; "Master and Commander" and "The Far Side of the World" , PLUS bits and pieces from some others..."Choose the lesser of two Weevils" being one example. My wife bought me the whole series some years ago...now I don't have to scour libraries for the series...I reread them about every five years or so. The only two female literary characters I have ever had a crush on were Robert A. Heinlein"s" Podkayne of Mars", and Sophie Aubrey! :)

The same can be said about another of my favorite movies..."Jeremiah Johnson"...it was a tarted up combination of two Vardis Fisher novels..."Mountain Man", and "Crow Killer" The original version of the movie outdoes both of them by a fair amount.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts