Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm offering my 19 year old nephew a rifle I've had and hunted with since the mid 1980s. Remington 700 30/06, blind magazine (ADL or BDL?) 3x9 Leupold VXII, 85 rounds of assorted factory ammo. Also I will give him his choice of a hardside case or soft padded case and a cleaning kit so he will take care of it as I have over the years. All he will need for hunting this fall would be a sling and some time at the range. Our agreed-on price is $400. If I was financially well-off I would just give it to him, but I feel things that we work for are cherished more than things not earned. I feel I'm giving him a good deal that any of his buddies would jump on if given such an offer. Your thoughts? Ron

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Thats a good price, the blind magazine guns are ADLs.

You are good to pass down this rifle, it'll be cherished more than any other rifle your nephew ever owns.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The scope alone is worth $150-200 used so he is getting a good deal. That is an awesome set up and can hunt anything in the lower 48.

·
Inactive account
4,165 Posts
He can't go wrong but he may have a specific factor that he alone will not be happy with. If that is the case, possibly he could use it for a season and that composite stock (or whatever) is holding him up would disappear. Even if it is just that he wants something new, a season with your rifle may change his mind and he will come out with a better rifle for his lifetime.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
From the way you worded your post, I am guessing your nephew wants to talk you down in price? The deal you're offering him is more than fair and if he won't cough up $400 for a nice rig like that, he simply doesn't deserve it and probably won't take care of it, like you have. People who don't appreciate value rarely go to the effort of preserving it. As one poster suggested, if your real nephew won't take you up on such a good deal, I can just about guarantee you could find a new relative here, in no time! :)

·
Banned
43 Posts
From the way you worded your post, I am guessing your nephew wants to talk you down in price? The deal you're offering him is more than fair and if he won't cough up $400 for a nice rig like that, he simply doesn't deserve it and probably won't take care of it, like you have. People who don't appreciate value rarely go to the effort of preserving it. As one poster suggested, if your real nephew won't take you up on such a good deal, I can just about guarantee you could find a new relative here, in no time! :)
Or like many other 19 year olds perhaps he is a broke college student like so many of us where at that age. He doesn't deserve it? That's not very fair is it? How can you say without knowing the kid? For all we know maybe he is living paycheck to paycheck to hoping he can put food on the table and keep the lights on. I've been there before and would not have been able to shell out 400 bucks for a rifle, or any other luxury item, and that has noting to do with lack of respect. Priorities. You gotta pay the bills before you get to go play in the woods.

But I don't know him either. It could go either way. I just don't understand why people like to jump to the conclusion that allows them look down on someone without first knowing the facts.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
If he was a broke college kid who simply couldn't afford the rifle, the OP would have put it that way, instead of intimating that his own nephew was trying to talk him down from $400. FWIW, the lowest current listing on Gunbroker for a wood-stocked 700 ADL, in 30-'06, is $450. Those come w/o scopes. As previously posted, the scope alone runs $150-$200, used. Throw in the case and some ammo and the guy is looking at a $600 - $700 value, for a $400 price. For a person who has $400 to spend, it's a no-brainer.

It is my opinion (and I am unanimous in this) that Americans have become entirely too consumed with the almighty "deal"! When you see a fair-to-excellent price on something, just pay for it and be grateful. We've become a nation of consumers who ask for dental records on free equines.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
By the same token, even living paycheck to paycheck, he can set aside $25 a paycheck that he was going to spend on an incidental item and save for a few months to buy the rifle, in fact I'm more than willing to bet that rsambo is a nice enough guy to let the nephew make payments on it.

·
Banned
43 Posts
For a person that has $400 to spend. Which of course assumes he does and we don't know if he does or not. Since all anyone here is really doing to just guess I'll put out another. Maybe he doesn't WANT the rifle. I've had people offer me deals in the past that I was not interested in because I just was not interested in the item they had for sale. Sure, it sounds like a great rifle but only if it matches what you are looking for. I also have an uncle that I would not give 5 bucks for anything he owns. Not meaning to imply that the OP is some kind of jerk but since we are all just guessing I figured one more would not hurt anything.

Americans are also way to quick to pass judgement without always understanding the situation. All we really know for sure from the OP is that he wants to know if this is a good deal or not. So yeah, assuming everything is in good shape it sounds like it is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the opinions, guys. Yes my nephew is a college student but is living rent-free in a house near the northern Michigan community college he's attending. I'm offering the rifle I mentioned because I'm sure if i didn't make him such a fair deal he'd go out and find a not so good deal and get himself into even more debt to have a rifle for deer season. Maybe I'll loan it to him this season so he can find out what a great rifle it is and he'll have a chance to get his finances in order. He is a good kid, but as many youngsters, can lose focus of priorities. Ron

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
Alright guys let's calm down and stop being so judgmental. If you have an opinion, beyond the original question, perhaps you can communicate directly with the member.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an uncle who was a great influence in teaching me all things outdoors. First rifle I ever had was an older two position safety ruger varmint 25-06. I had the hots for this gun for a long time and he would not part with it. I was about 12 and we were shooting silohuettes and he bet me I couldn't out shoot him. 10 shots 75yds offhand at little turkeys. He got 5 or 6 I missed first 5 and on 6th shot I hit the stand and all 10 fell. The ruger was mine! I will never forget the look and smile on his face. I think its great you trying to help him out.

·
Inactive account
613 Posts
**** Be Fine

Just the fact that your nephew is interested in the outdoors and hunting makes him pretty well grounded by today's standards . He'll be just fine , especially with a good Remington Rifle . :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.