Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had more fun and killed a lot of deer in the "woods" with lever action carbines. I like a1/16" flat faced Gold bead front with a Williams receiver sight. I've used 30-30, .44 mag, .45 colt. I've carried Marlin 1895 45-70s and 444 Mags, .375 Win and 444 BB 94s. Owned a few 35 Remingtons too. The Marlin is easier to set up with a better trigger. Buffalo Bore ammo makes heavy .44 & 45 Colt flat nosed hard casts that will shoot like an old 45-90 Express load! 1600fps with a 325 or so. Kill any Bigfoot up in Stephen King Country! OR...a short bolt action .308/7mm-08 with a 1x4 is super handy too. Pick your poison!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the replies everybody. Based on what everyone has said I'm going to start looking at some carbine length lever actions at the local shops in 44 mag or 35 Whelen. What does everyone have to say about brand? I'm only 18 and I have other things to pay for but I want to keep expanding my collection as I go. I'm thinking a Marlin is going to be a lot more affordable than a Henry or a Winchester?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Funny thing about cartridges for hunting. A 300 mag will kill deer in the Maine woods as well as a 44 mag will kill deer at 7000' in the west! It all depends on the hunter and what he's willing to do in his part! I have read of guy's hunting and killing Antelope with a bow out here, how does that happen. A cartridge and a rifle is actually no more than a device! I would not choose a 44 mag to make 200 yd shot's, maybe not even 150yd shot's. And I wouldn't need a 30-06 to shoot deer at 200 yds either but fact is, both will work. I don't care for long barrels in the woods but then I don't care for less than 20" barrels on anything. I've read of guy's that don't care how long their barrel is in the brush, long works fine. Bottom line is they are right. You like the long rifle you make it work!

You make do with what you have and what anyone else think really doesn't matter. Myself, I like min 20" barrels in the brush and these days I don't have one any more. But I have several with 22" and I bet a dollar to a sugar cookie they will work fine in the brush. You learn to use what you have. Get what you actually like and go from there. May find you'll change your mind down the road, so what? Change it and shoot what you like. I know of a guy here in the N.W. that like's his 300 win mag in his rifle with an 18" barrel. I shutter to think of shooting it but then I've never tried and never will. He has and likes it!

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody. Based on what everyone has said I'm going to start looking at some carbine length lever actions at the local shops in 44 mag or 35 Whelen. What does everyone have to say about brand? I'm only 18 and I have other things to pay for but I want to keep expanding my collection as I go. I'm thinking a Marlin is going to be a lot more affordable than a Henry or a Winchester?
A carbine-length lever-gun in 35 Whelen will knock the fillings loose, with factory ammo.

I think you meant 35 Remington, which is just about the perfect compromise between modest recoil and excellent short-range terminal performance.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you are deer hunting and your maximum range will be around 200 yards, a 35 Remington with the Leverevolution factory rounds from Hornady will be just dandy. It does a nice job out to 200 yards or a tad more. All the gun you will need for deer. The FTX bullet in the Leverevolution 35 Remington loads are just about right for deer.

I cannot speak to moose. Only to say that I have shot a number of deer and hogs with the FTX bullet in the 35 Rem, 45-70 and 450 Marlin. Based upon that I would not use that bullet in any caliber on anything larger with more dense and heavy muscle and bone. Just too fragile.

Reactions: CCAguns

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
I have walked some of the woodland in Maine and it is not dissimilar to our woodland here in the UK.
Certaily some beautiful country. I now shoot a T/C Encore exclusively and have a choice of six calibres. We have a choice of six species of deer and now also some wild boar. My all round choice of barrel for stalking on foot would be 7-30 Waters, 16 1/2 inch barrel. A nice low recoil cartridge which will shoot accurately and effectively and kill any deer I have seen in the USA including some of your big muleys...IF, you do your job.
A single shot makes you much more serious about the job. You learn to stalk, spending more time standing and looking than walking and when you do walk you walk at about 10 HOURS to the mile. When you see the deer before it sees you then any sensible deer calibre will kill it, if you put it in the correct place and you will not require a second shot anyway.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You're not going to find a levergun in .35 Whelen unless it's a custom job and could only be built on a select few models of leverguns that aren't cheap. That's a unicorn. 35 Remington is more likely. You might find a Remington 760 or 7600 pump action in .35 Whelen. A Marlin 336 in .30-30 or .35 Rem will be the most plentiful and economical.

·
Registered
867 Posts
deer rifle for Mine woods

I agree that you would probably find a nice Marlin 336 in 35 Remington for about as cheap as you can spend, and you won't be disappointed. And 50 years from now when you are my age, you can mount a 1-4 scope on that Marlin and still see to shoot well.:)

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Plus one on the 44 Mag. and if you are not a fan of lever actions, the Ruger 77/44 Mag.
I thought the M94 and M336 in .30-30 was the official Maine deer tool :eek: I have one of each. But if I were heading to Maine these days I'd be more inclined to pack my pair of 77/44's. One is scoped, and the other wears the original irons, (my rain gun).

·
Registered
750 Posts
A .270 rifle will work wonders on anything east of the Mississippi. I've owned two and one shot was all it ever took. But I've also killed scores of deer with the .357, .41 and .44 mags as well as the .22Hornet. I guess I've used most calibers on deer successfully including the 45/70, 30/30, .257R and many, many more. My favorite cartridge rifle for hunting is the .250/3000. I have a Sav M99 and a Ruger M77 in that caliber and trust it for anything except moose. For almost two decades, now, I've hunted with .45 and .50 flintlock longrifles. I've taken deer with them, using a patched round ball, up to 100 plus yards for one shot kills. If I need a "heavy" cartridge rifle I use a .45/70 or a .350 Rem mag; but I've never actually "needed" them, just liked hunting with them. For a grand, handy and capable brush rifle I have a Winchester M94 Trapper in 30/30 and I highly recommend them. Still, a .270 is truly a "do everything" cartridge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Best woods caliber ever made was the 300 Savage with a 180 Core Lokt. That big RN will kill with out blowing everything to pieces.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The .270 Win Savage bolt gun will handle all your needs with properly constructed bullets and bullet placement.
If you want a fast handling rifle for brush hunting, a levergun in a large pistol cartridge would fit the bill. Used to have a Ruger semi-auto in .44 Mag which was a great fast handling rifle with good knockdown power out to 100 - 150 yds. Would imagine one of the leverguns so chambered in a carbine model will work great.
I couldn't agree more ... I recently gave my two Savage 110 rifles ( both in 270 win) to my two nephews..
Both rifles were pre-accu-trigger , both were extremely accurate...
I just ordered a new 2019 stainless steel Savage Axis II .. Yep you guessed it 270 Win ..
Why 270 ... I useally use Federal 150gr RN .. these long RN bullets , open fast and pentrate through and through Whitetail ...

I also hunt 50% or more with a JM Marlin 30-30 .. Loaded with 170gr Federal fodder ...

Both would be great for bears ...
The 270 Winchester is overlooked.. often by younger hunters .. with visions of mighty magnums or newer cartridges .. Mostly the 6.5 CM , which seems to be a great cartridge... But I still lean toward the 270 Win ... It's proven, in North America, from East to West ... It is a reccomended cartridge for Alaska and for African Plains game .... It can reach out in open spaces or anchor game in thickets ...
I can recommend Savage boltguns ... They are accurate....

·
Registered
12 Posts
30/30 lever action cannot go wrong as far as manufacturer the older winchester & marlin are my favorite but I would not hesitate on the others that are available they will all shoot fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The .270 will do just fine ... and so will the .30-30, and other calibers mentioned. Deer aren't tanks, and neither are Black Bear. A Black Bear attack is most likely to occur in camp and at night ... a 10mm pistol or one of the revolvers in "4's" would serve.

Of course, the Maine Woods Classic is the Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem, and back when it was considered "THE" Moose and Bear gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maine woods are thick...my 30-30 and 32 Spcl counted for many deer. 12 ga shotgun with OO buck can get thru the puckerbrush fairly well too.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Of course, the Maine Woods Classic is the Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem, and back when it was considered "THE" Moose and Bear gun.

well ya know, that was before the moose/bear/deer found armor plating.:p:p:p

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Interesting. I've been hunting in ME on and off since the early 70's, and I've never encountered a single M8 in any of the Remington rounds while there. (I think I can recall about 2 M8's in the last 50 years hunting across North America).

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Interesting. I've been hunting in ME on and off since the early 70's, and I've never encountered a single M8 in any of the Remington rounds while there. (I think I can recall about 2 M8's in the last 50 years hunting across North America).
in PA, a semi auto is not allowed for big game, unless you are disabled(thats me:D). before the early '90s, everyone in PA had a 30-30, 35 rem or and '06 to hunt with. (270 win, 7 mag and others made a small part) they would use either an '06 pump rifle or a lever(win and marlin). it was rare to see a bolt gun in the woods.

during the mid '90s, everyone had a bolt(even i). they would use a 243 up to and including a 375 weatherby mag. i was using a 7x57 in a semi custom '98 or a 7-08 in rem m7 as my main deer guns.

nowadays, i see more guys carrying a 338 rum or 338 lapua in a bolt, to hunt close cover deer with. i think they like the magnums and can penetrate chobham armor out to 1000 yards. every deer i've killed, they forget to wear their chobham armor. so i sneakly kill them with old outdated cartridges, like the 30-40 krag and 165gr ranch dog(1900ish fps) or the 444 marlin with 300gr fn gc(1625 fps).

·
Registered
597 Posts
in PA, a semi auto is not allowed for big game, unless you are disabled(thats me:D). before the early '90s, everyone in PA had a 30-30, 35 rem or and '06 to hunt with. (270 win, 7 mag and others made a small part) they would use either an '06 pump rifle or a lever(win and marlin). it was rare to see a bolt gun in the woods.
I have an Amish machine gun (a.k.a. Remington 7600) in .35 Whelen. It came to me by way of PA :).

nowadays, i see more guys carrying a 338 rum or 338 lapua in a bolt, to hunt close cover deer with. i think they like the magnums and can penetrate chobham armor out to 1000 yards. every deer i've killed, they forget to wear their chobham armor. so i sneakly kill them with old outdated cartridges, like the 30-40 krag and 165gr ranch dog(1900ish fps) or the 444 marlin with 300gr fn gc(1625 fps).
Bet you don't ruin much if any meat either. Those other guys on the other hand ...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts