Shooters Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My son has often borrowed my Marlin in 35 Remington for his hunts. Two years ago, he toppled a big cow elk in Wyoming at a distance of approx 125 yards. Those 200 grain core-lokts hit hard!

TR

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hunted in Maine from the 1980s till about 2010. I did take two real nice bucks up there, one right down on the coast a nice 8 pointer in a swamp. The shot was maybe 12 feet, it was during the rut and I think he thought I was another buck chasing his does. I was using a shotgun with slugs.
The other one was south east of Rangely I came out into a clearcut and he was maybe 75 yards away as I got the gun up he ran off and stopped at the edge of the clearcut maybe 150 yards away he was angled away for me I aimed for the chest but as I pulled the trigger he stepped forward so I gut shot him. I had to track him for a couple of hours till I found him. I was using a 6.5x55 Swede but with a gut shot I don't think any rifle would have dropped him there.

If I had to pick a woods rifle for Maine I would go with one I had a Rem 760 in 300 Savage with a 1.5x 5 scope and the scope would stay at the lowest power 99% of the time. Today I would have it in 308

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
bigjershooter

I have a old Ruger carbine in 44 mag. that I still hunt with. I found a old Weaver 1 1/2-4x scope with the post and crosshair. A great rifle for the woods up here in Michigan. The second most popular rifle up here is the Marlin modl 336 in 35 Remington. both will handle any situation you will run across in those Maine woods.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My "Woods Gun" is an 18" Ruger M77 30-06. Made up some 220 RN at around 2250fps. Wears a 2.5 x20 Leupold or an NECG Peep sight.

Wouldn't have a problem using 150/170/180 gr RN or FP either. All good for deer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here. I've been reading around some of the other threads this morning but I couldn't find anything covering this exact topic so here we are. I just bought my first hunting rifle the weekend of this posting. It's a Savage 110 in .270 and I plan on using it for this season and a majority of my hunts. I hunt in Maine and it will kill anything in this state but I know I want another gun with hopefully a stainless barrel but not a deal breaker, more important is I want one in a better caliber for the more heavily wooded parts of the states. I was thinking of .308 or 45-70 in a short barrel but I don't have a clue what rifle is a good way to go. I do like my Savage but I know Marlin and Henry make nice lever actions so I'm really just trying to get advice from this community as you all see well informed.
The absolute best deep woods rifle for deer, bear and even the occasional moose is a JM Marlin 336 in 35 remington. Accurate to 200 yards and devastating terminal performance even on moose. Only thing better is a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56 mm. Those are very expensive and very hard to find.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Older thread I somehow missed originally.... I've hunted on and off in Maine since 1981, perhaps a dozen times total, for deer and bear. My singular recommendation here would be a BLR in .358. Similar to the Marlin 336 in .35 often mentioned here previously, but a tad lighter and smoother with a shorter lever throw. I killed a decent bear in Maine in '15 with my M77 bolt in .358 and it did a fine job with 225gr Sierra. My BLR/358 was actually purchased new in Maine back around 1991 and I traded a M94 BB in .307 to get it. My first nice buck in Maine was killed with a 336ER.

Alas, my planned Maine bear hunt in September has a very good chance of being cancelled now due to the China Virus..... SAD!!
(I will take my BLR/.450 if, by some miracle, the state reopens to "outsiders")

41 - 48 of 48 Posts