Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,129 Posts
IDShooter,
I've got some loads for my DW 8" .357 that I wouldn't hesitate to use for deer out to 40-50yds with a broadside shot, but it's never the revolver on my hip when I go hunting for deer. They consist of 180gr bullets at about 1250 fps. I like the .41 Mag as the happy medium, which is a little more pleasant to shoot than the .44 and will undoubtedly get the job done as far as I should be shooting with iron sights.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Tio,
I think the confusion as to if the .357 is adequate is based on the limited/poor bullet selection that is/was available to shooters who do not load or are don't have the knowledge about what is available. The .357 isn't my choice for deer hunting, but neither is a 6mm rifle. both will get the job done, but I like something a little larger. Also, to further muddy the waters, a .357 can be a 2" snub or a 14" contender, so the blanket statement that it can't be done is misguided.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
AJ,
Cast bullets are made from lead, they are cast in a mould. They are typically made from lead alloys that have lead as the main ingredient along with small amounts of other metals that increase the hardness of the lead alloy to prevent leading and influence other bullet characteristics. Lead bullets can often times be safely driven to velocities, in handguns at least, that are up to 200fps faster than jacketed bullets of the same weight. Lead bullets made for hunting are typically hard and intended not to expand, but to punch a good sized hole all the way through the quarry. That would be a great advantage when using a caliber like the .357, that doesn't normally have the bullet weight and velocity to make that happen with a lighter jacketed bullet.

Federal makes a 180gr Cast Core loading for the .357 which would probably be one of your top choices for hunting with the .357 if factory ammo is all you have to work with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.