Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was given a lot of 223 brass,some have dents in case up to neck some deep
should i use it or trash thanks

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,581 Posts
Neck dents are common and will iron out when sized, body dents disappear when the cases are fired.

Load, shoot, repeat, enjoy

RJ

Reactions: Darkker and sparkyv

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I pick up lots of cases with dents. Most come out on resizing. The ones that don't and are not really bad, I load just a tad lighter than normal. Upon firing, all the dents come out. I have marked some that were severely dented with nail polish on the heads to see if case life was any shorter and have so far seen no difference.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
As above, usually no problem. Only caveat I would offer is if the dent has a rounded gouge, OK - if a sharp crease, would discard as this will be a weak spot in the case wall..

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
These folks have given great advice. It is important to carefully examine all brass prior to reloading. Brass is cheap and if it fails to pass your inspection standards, merely trash it. Minor dents as has been noted are not a big deal. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
These folks have given great advice. It is important to carefully examine all brass prior to reloading. Brass is cheap and if it fails to pass your inspection standards, merely trash it. Minor dents as has been noted are not a big deal. All the best...
I agree fully. Brass (especially in .223/5.56) is too cheap to worry too much about. I have discarded many badly dented cases, but also have been really surprised at how well sizing alone ironed out many. Sometimes even more surprised at how the rest of the dents fireformed out. As said earlier, I marked some that had been severely dented (I loaded these just a little lighter) and marked the heads with nail polish because I wanted to see if case life was shortened any. I've got about 3 reloads on these cases without losing one so far, but I would discard any that you feel bad about. These cases are not worth taking a bad chance on.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Resizing cases often is THE cause of dents in brass. too much wax or oil or lanolin on the case when it was put in the press is the demon press. they will fire out on first use, no problem.

Dry lube/sprays like Horndady One shot prevent most of these if properly used.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I also use the "sharp edge/crease" guide line for any dents on any case I reload (my Garand brass gets dinged up as it leaves the gun, and it it's hit just right there is sometimes a crease). "Lube dents" are no big deal, just a reminder I'm using too much lube. I don't bother picking up any 223/5.56 brass any more as I have plenty and there are at least 40-50 on the ground at the range. So, when in doubt, throw it out...

·
Banned
459 Posts
If they have been fired in auto weapons especially machine guns just make sure the extraction rim is not also damaged .
It only takes one bad rim to slip of the extractor claw and stay in the chamber . I have seen cases where people had a bad rim in one spot and if that spot lined up with the extractor claw then it did not extract . If it did not line up it extracted fine .
Person was convinced his gun was faulty but just damaged secondhand military brass . Once I sorted through and threw out the bad ones no problems . Also make sure the deep dents are not associated with a fine crack in the brass unlikely but I have seen it happen .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts