Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:

There is no excuse for this to happen. I was a deputy also and we were taught to shoot center mass at the range. For 24 yrs that was drilled into our heads. Now I work for a private security firm which works hand in hand with the feds and once again, center mass and 1 in the head.
What kind of firearm training did this deputy have , if any.:confused::mad::confused:

·
Registered
583 Posts
when in doubt empty the magazine?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep, I feel real safe with idiots like that on partol. If he cant learn to shoot it in the head after oh, let say 16 shots, somethings wrong.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a bunch of city friends that would know where the heart on a deer is, but they would know enough to shoot it in the head.

That's too bad. :(

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Let it go. Guy had a bad day. Not everyone is an Ube-routdoorsman. He's gonna get enough grief from the other guys at work over this, we dont need to pile on. Hopefully the Sherrif takes him aside and says, "A head shot next time", and leaves it at that.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Lack of common sense i think, doesnt sound like he meant any harm. He didnt recieve good advice from the start, it was suggested he shoot it behind the shoulder, oh well lesson learned.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wonder what he would do if facing a bad guy with a gun? Point at his stomach and attempt to empty the magazine?

·
Registered
978 Posts
He just might be a nice sensitive guy, found the animal crying and thrashing around stressful, and didn't think clearly with his pumpkin. Someone conditioned to react one way with humans can be thrown for a loop when confronted by an injured animal because it tears down a layer.

He probably could not stand shooting it in the head because it would feel like murdering an innocent animal, so his mind completely blocked that option. When it would have been the best option. If he has cleaned up human brains before, it may have completely blocked that line of action, shooting something in the head, from being a reasonable course of action.

I imagine he will not live it down for a while.

I saw someone abuse a dog and dislocate it's hip. When the horror set in with the animal yelping, crying, snarling, and trying to run around on 3 legs hit everyone, I was the one that got the dog, comforted, and carried it to my truck.

When faced with reality, people often don't react the way they think they would.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Several years ago the Veterinarian I used at the time told me of a fiasco where a policeman tried to put down a horse injured in a trailer accident by shooting it in the heart rather than the head with bad results. Perhaps humane euthanizing of animals is a topic that needs to be added to law enforcement training.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A most reasonable response!

Several years ago the Veterinarian I used at the time told me of a fiasco where a policeman tried to put down a horse injured in a trailer accident by shooting it in the heart rather than the head with bad results. Perhaps humane euthanizing of animals is a topic that needs to be added to law enforcement training.

Given the nature of this thread, Irv S. has provided a very reasonable response. All LE agencies should include training humane euthanizing of animals. This is both a public safety and humane response issue.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Is it my imagination or do most of these types of stories come out of Florida?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It's not your imagination... Florida consistently produces many head-scratchers. Some other states are in competition for the crown (Texas and South Carolina, for example) but Florida generally keeps it.

In a related story: 9mm Service Handgun NOT ENOUGH to Stop a Critically Injured Deer! ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts