Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me figure out which way to adjust a powder charge (heavier/lighter) on a light load to raise or lower point if impact without adjusting my scope?  I'm new to this and looking for a small game load I can use in a Steyr Scout for small game without adjusting my scope off of the "big game" load setting.  I would like to walk the load up or down to point of aim at about 30yds. Thanks, Slangley

·
Registered
256 Posts
slangley: Don't know how many times and places I have to register in this board to send a message but you may get this more than once.  My solution to zeroing light cast bullet loads in my highpowers is to use the top of the thick portion of the duplex crosshairs as if it were a post reticule. A bit of fooling with loads and I was able to get 50 yard zeros for a 243, 257 Imp, 300 savage and 30-06. Good cast loads give me 10 shot groups of 1 inch or slightly less (and sometimes a bit more as far as that goes- some days just too much coffee or sump'n). These loads vary from 1400-1750 fps depending on the caliber and I use full weight bullets   rather than the little fellows that you can get (make).  In my 300 and 30/06 for example the bullets are about 175 grs and are the same as I use in my 30WCF. It's fun making it work. Regards BCstocker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But which makes the point of impact higher, a heavier powder charge, or a lighter one?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Slangley:
  This is not a simple question, since barrel whip varies from gun to gun. First, pick a velocity range you want, then load up and try it. If you're not hitting where you want, and BCstocker's method isn't working for you, change bullet weights.  Handguns shoot higher with heavier bullets, but rifle barrels are longer and aren't as predictable.

Since your big game load is probably close to full snort, you aren't likely to have much room to go up.  Whatever you do, don't go below reloading manual starting loads. Too little powder occasionally blows up guns for unknown reasons. Lyman and Speer list reduced loads with appropiate powders.

Your bullet should rise above the line of sight at 25-30 yards. Have you actually checked your 30 yard point of impact?

Bye
Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts