Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Boy, Andy - this is a great post!

The question comes up often enough to warrant making this a sticky to keep at the top of the page for reference.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I've used that reference for years in Europe and the Middle East, even have a hard copy in my reference liberary. Would like to see them update it however.

CD

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They may have an official version that is more up to date, I dunno. I kind of think this (older) reference will serve us pretty well, most of the surplus ammo we get our hand on is not much newer. I wish this was the source document, not a scanned version. I guess I could put it on my work laptop and use an OCR program to make the text search able, but I am pretty lazy most days.

Andy

·
Banned
502 Posts
Thanks, that is very helpful. I keep such things for reference and to help others.

Jerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vol 2 is also available (just replace the vol1 with vol2) if you are interested in 40mm and up. Now that woud be a ground hog round.

45XXX

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wow, not only does reading these stickies keep you out of trouble, you find excellent information. Thank you so much for the link! Some day maybe I can use Vol 2 ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It appears that the DIA has moved or deleted access to the file. I have lost my digital copy. If I can find another link, I will post it.

Andy

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
It is amazing what comes up sometimes when you are searching for something else.

Here (at the DIA's site) is the unclassified ammunition identification guide. I thought this may help some folks with IDing ammo and headstamps.

http://www.dia.mil/publicaffairs/Foia/smcal_vol1.pdf

P.S. The document/web page is about 10MB.

Andy
Page isn't there anymore, but I have a DIA SA manual around here somewhere.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
They may have an official version that is more up to date, I dunno. I kind of think this (older) reference will serve us pretty well, most of the surplus ammo we get our hand on is not much newer. I wish this was the source document, not a scanned version. I guess I could put it on my work laptop and use an OCR program to make the text search able, but I am pretty lazy most days.

Andy
I still have mine, but I removed the staples to scan all the 7.62 headstamps.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts

Andy
Somewhere around here I have the hard copy version of this one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts