Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Chief, be sure to take a .22 with you to the range for the days you are going to work on the heavy loads. Alternate the boomer and the rimfire, as necessary, to calm the nerves back down. Works for me!

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Chief,

Shooting from the bench with heavy loads is not a trivial exercise. If it hurts you won't do it well.

Make sure you elbows are padded!! Personally I like them a bit below my wrists and the elbows slightly bent.

Then, I don't support the gun but put the sandbags under my wrists. I figure that this mimics shooting in the field with an improvised rest or from the window of the blind. Worked well on the last deer I shot....

Some people put the gun on a solid rest like the "Pistol Perch" and so forth but I think this is a mistake. Also, make sure the butt of the gun can't hit anything under recoil. This can substantially change the point of impact.

So... try one big sanbag under your wrists (some people like to support the gun under the trigger guard or front of the frame, but this can tear up your sandbags pretty fast) and pad your elbows. The angle of your elbows affects how close the gun is to your head and how the sights will come into focus so keep that in mind.

If you can shoot offhand with good accuracy, then you should be able to do fine from the bench if you can find the technique that is comfortable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.