Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
IMO, he put on his own golf spikes, & stepped on his own junk, If he is as smart as people say then he had to know this would cause trouble! WE SHOULD NOT GIT DIVIDED OVER IT!
Mike, my problem with this is that the readers of Guns & Ammo didn't have time to voice their opinion, good or bad.
I read his article and thought that it was well balanced.
Others may have read it and thought that it was tripe.
That's OK, everyone is entitled to his opinion.
He and his editor were silenced by the advertisers, not the readers.
Big money rules, Mike.
That's my problem and it should be everyones.
When big money influences the content of major publications we all lose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Firearm safety training is available to anyone who wants it.
Not by High School because they don't have the facilities.
Strawman argument.
Why don't they have the facilities?
Because they lack the funds?
No. Because the DoE and the AFT will not permit it.
I believe any high school with an athletic program is equally capable of providing a class teaching firearms education and firearms safety.

I took an NRA safety course years ago, I think that they're still available.
They certainly are available to anyone and everyone. But you have to go looking for them.

Some states require a hunter safety course as a prerequisite for getting a hunting license.
Yes. But they also require you pay a fee to buy a license to hunt. Last I heard, laws requiring fees to be paid to exercise a Right are unconstitutional. Hunting is not a Right.

JMHO

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Mike, my problem with this is that the readers of Guns & Ammo didn't have time to voice their opinion, good or bad.
I read his article and thought that it was well balanced..................................
EH you're right, it seemed "balanced". BUT! I think this is the problem with "moderate" thought. Fox news likes to say "Fair and Balanced". As if to say "We might tell you the truth, but we round it out well with an equal amount of lies".

Balanced is "Your daughter's a good girl (for example, not your daughter), but if we can just introduce some immorality, we can balance her out nicely!"

"Our church is great! We get a little Satan mixed in with God every Sunday and Wednesday! Such wonderful balance!"

Guns and Ammo, as evidenced by their actions (and thankfully so), doesn;t think so much of balance as they do promoting their ideals. I, for one, don;t need an author, or a newscaster, or anyone else to "show me the other side so I can get some balance". I already know the other side and I avoid it at all costs. The reason I have settled on my ideals and principals is because I have already considered both sides.... and I rejected one of them.

"We're so good, we really need a good dose of bad so we'll be ...... well balanced"

Maybe he can start his own magazine called, I don;t know, maybe "Guns and No Guns!" and he can write to his heart's content. And..... hire other writers that will follow his theme.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I already know the other side and I avoid it at all costs. The reason I have settled on my ideals and principals is because I have already considered both sides.... and I rejected one of them.
+1!
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Maybe he can start his own magazine called, I don;t know, maybe "Guns and No AMMO!" and he can write to his heart's content.
I couldn't help myself. I just had to fix it for you. ;)

MC

·
Banned
4,927 Posts
Maybe he can start his own magazine called, I don't know, maybe "No Guns and No Ammo!" and he can write to his heart's content. And..... hire other writers that will follow his theme.
Now, that's fixin' it...

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
883 Posts
It took me a while -perhaps I wanted to believe- to realize that Fox News is not conservative. Rupert Murdock has voiced support for draconian gun control. Fox News, except Napoltano, supported the RINO/neocon Romney over the only authentic conservative in the '12 race, Ron Paul. If anything, Fox News is an example of Lenin's strategy of controlling opposition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally Posted by StretchNM View Post

Maybe he can start his own magazine called, I don't know, maybe "No Guns and No Ammo!" and he can write to his heart's content. And..... hire other writers that will follow his theme.
Now, that's fixin' it...
Yup.
That fixes it, alright! :cool:

MC

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
When you take employment with a company you agree to follow their rules. If you cannot follow the company rules, you will be looking for a new employer. In other words the man who signs the pay check has the right to expect you to follow company policy.

Lee

·
Banned
143 Posts
Havent bought a rag since 1994. Ayoob I believe was the idiot that did it for me. Nothing but a shill with zero experience on what he wrote.

Like 7 years ago that idiot on another forum informed me I was wrong. All I did was ask for proof about what he publishes. Got banned. Works for me. Problem with the rags is there is no interaction with others who unlike him might have experience with what he says will get you locked up, when it does not.

If anyone buys that trash do yourself a favor, dont believe a word and enjoy it as entertainment purposes only. I do buy hunting magazines and such every now and then to keep up on new stuff, but google is just as good for that. Sometimes I just like flipping pages.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
.... and pictures are always good.... (:)D))

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
When you take employment with a company you agree to follow their rules. If you cannot follow the company rules, you will be looking for a new employer. In other words the man who signs the pay check has the right to expect you to follow company policy.

Lee
Lee,
The main thing is dang it, is that he got approval from his editor to print the piece.
The readers of the magazine didn't have time to say yea or nay.
Mega money made this decision.
That's my whole beef.
I could not care less about what firearm you're attracted to.
Metcalf and his editor were silenced by big money.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
If his editor wasn't any smarter than that - he deserves to lose his job too.

The readership would probably have done the magazine in, in short order, had they been allowed. In this case, it was fortunate the magazine took action while they still existed, rather than waiting for reader feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do buy hunting magazines and such every now and then to keep up on new stuff, but google is just as good for that. Sometimes I just like flipping pages.
My cousin used to guide for an outfitter in WY years ago for extra money during hunting season and once guided a big name rag writer for antelope. Early the first day of the writer's three day trophy hunt, they located and got within range of a trophy buck and the writer wanted to wait another day or two for a bigger animal. According to Cuz, and I have no reason to disbelieve him, he told said writer to "Shoot this **** buck! You are not going to see a bigger one because they don't get much bigger! If you don't shoot him, I will because I have a tag, too!" Said write shot said buck at less than 200 yards with less than 4 hou. When Cuz read the writer's story in the rag, said writer had hunted hard for three days and shot his trophy buck as daylight was fading on the last day of his hunt at over 400 yards after walking miles and miles and stalking said critter for most of the day.

Cuz said the only reason he recognized the story was because the writer named the outfitter in the story. It was the last outdoor magazine he ever bought. And that was 20 or so years ago.

Don't believe everything you read.

Mr Chubbs

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
If his editor wasn't any smarter than that - he deserves to lose his job too.

The readership would probably have done the magazine in, in short order, had they been allowed. In this case, it was fortunate the magazine took action while they still existed, rather than waiting for reader feedback.

See, I appreciate that. Pepsi showed their true colors by picking a vile rap singer to promote their product, before their customers had a say. In that way, Pepsi showed who they really were. They backed down after their customers showed their displeasure.

A&E ran Phil Robertson off before their audience had a say. In that way, A&E showed who they really were. They backed down after their audience showed their displeasure.

Guns and Ammo ran a 50/50 sorta-kinda 2nd Amendment supporter off, before their customers had a say. Guns and Ammo showed who they really were, and I'm confident their audience likes them. Doesn;t look they have to back down.

Reactions: WASR-10/63

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I read Metcalf's article and found it interesting.
He wrote that all constitutional rights are regulated. Speech is regulated, you can't yell fire in a crowded building. We can yell fire in a crowded building though if we falsely yell fire and the falsehood results in injury we are responsible... for the falsehood not the cry.
Churches can't practice living sacrifices. Not human sacrifices though hundreds of millions of 'Christians' do practice cannibalism.
Freedom of Assembly is regulated, a bunch of yahoos can't demonstrate on your property. They can with your permission. It's your property. The prohibition is not against peaceable assembly it is against trespass.
We can't drive without a license and when we do, we have speed limits Millions of people do drive without licenses and even more speed regularly. .
All of those statements are true.
He's a columnist, he stated his opinion and got fired for it. He was not fired for exercising his right of free speech. He was an employee and got fired for malfeasance. We do not have a 'right' to put our words in someone else's mouth, broadcast, newspaper, etc. Furthermore no one has an obligation to employee anyone whose behavior is inimical to them. How sharper than a serpent's tooth is a thankless employee. What would you think if a clergyman stood in the pulpit and challenged the core tenets of his faith? It is a two edged sword. One edge is 'rights', the other edge is responsibility.

Too bad.
I have interleaved my opinion with the O.P. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and convictions but many seem to believe they, personally, should be exempt from the consequences of their actions.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
> He wrote, all constitutional rights are regulated,

There you go, they are suppose to be God given rights.

" Let's Talk Limits "

Obviously, whoever he was, he found a man has got to know his limits. He found his.

May future generations refer to him as "dick who?"
Never saw any list of rights in the Bible, only commandments.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
Six year old thread and old news.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Six year old thread and old news.

What then, 'pray tell' is the point if archiving? Who chooses which voices will be silenced?

I was not on the forum when this all transpired, and was unaware of the situation. Was not around 20 centuries ago either, so perhaps I should not read The Bible.

For the most part of human history, firearms did not exist. Like all technologies, they will be replaced when superseded, or retired when no longer relevant. That is if we don't mess this little blue and green ball up too much.

Challenging our position exposes vulnerabilities and gives insight on where improvements are to be made. If we cannot provide valid answers to questions from within, how will we be able to respond to attacks form our detractors?

Shutting down critics is a policy for failure. Reasoned responses win reasonable minds.

What you call 'old news', I call history.

Learn OR repeat.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
Settle down, Jim. I'm sure Mr. Metcalf has found other employment by now. And I think fred243 has passed on to the Great Range in the Sky, as well.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.