Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some hornady 30-30 dies and I opted for the 150 grain pointed 30 cal bullets. Flat nose and round nose bullets aren't an option. I could load and shoot them one at a time out of the win 94 I suppose. But my question is that I also shoot my Dad's 30-40 krag. Is there any chance in heck that I could some how just neck size 30-40 shells with a 30-30 dies or any other 30 cal dies for that matter? I don't have the 30-40 brass on hand yet (at my parents), so I can't actually just "test" it just yet myself. But it sure seems like it would be possible.....At least till I get the 30-40 dies...

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
30-40 is bigger in every dimension and has more taper, so you're not going to be able to get them up into the 30-30 die far enough. The 30-40 will jam against the sides of the 30-30 die before the mouth makes it to the neck portion of the die.

You might be able to neck size it in a .308 Win die. A .30-06 is too long.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I've had the same kind of thought, on more than one occasion. :)

On the topic of which bullet to use: Have you considered using the 160gr FTX bullet, for both guns? That would give you a pointed bullet that is still safe in the magazines of both rifles.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I will be trying the FTX in both guns for exactly the reason you state. However, the bullets I got are the free ones from Hornady for buying their dies. So they will be the ones I will try out first. I have never loaded a 30 cal rifle before thus the reason for them being the first. Hornady actually has loading data for the FTX for the 30-40 on their website. I'm sure before long I will run the course with every bullet made between the two. Though I will probably not bother with the more expensive "premium" bullets. I doubt that I will go after game needing them, and I doubt that either rifle will be accurate enough to justify the cost. I want to eventually get into casting as it will probably be the most sensible cost option for both very old guns. The Win 94 was made in the 30's, and the Krag was made made in either 1898 or 1899. I doubt that Sierra MatchKings would gain me too much.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.