Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between varmint, heavy and bull barrel? MY current rifle, a savage vt11 in a 308, has a varmint barrel on it and I plan on working up to shoot out at 600yards since that's my ranges max. I'm not sure if my varmint barrel is the same as heavy or bull and have been told those are the types of barrels usually necessary for long range consistent shooting.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,376 Posts
Everyone has their own specs, but it is a description of barrel diameter.
From largest to smallest is typically:
Bull, heavy varmint, varmint, Magnum, Sporter.

For your goal, out depends on what you want.
Heavier barrels take longer to heat-up, but take forever to cool down. So a thin Sporter won't take as many rounds before heat *can* cause group impact to shift. However, that light Sporter will cool and get you back shooting much sooner than a heavy profile.

Cheers

Reactions: Ribz0Rama

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
The descriptions are also dependent on the size of the action. A 'bull barrel' for a CZ-527 is smaller than one for a 10-22 and a 'varmint' barrel is even lighter.
Most of the barrel makers have charts of the various dimensions but the VERY BEST way of ordering a barrel is to order what you KNOW you like in weight, diameter, length and balance ahead of time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What is the difference between varmint, heavy and bull barrel? MY current rifle, a savage vt11 in a 308, has a varmint barrel on it and I plan on working up to shoot out at 600yards since that's my ranges max. I'm not sure if my varmint barrel is the same as heavy or bull and have been told those are the types of barrels usually necessary for long range consistent shooting.
Your varmint barrel is designed for long range too. Your comfort with the rifle and your rest system is more important than which of the heavier tapers you use at 600 yards.

Gary

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The long time between shots favors a lighter weight or smaller diameter barrel.
If you want to empty a 20 round magazine into the same hole in 20 seconds at 600 yards; you might just need a Heavy 'Bull' barrel to do it

chev. William

1 - 5 of 5 Posts