Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new hunter this year and I've got a compact 7mm-08 Savage Axis. My rifle was sighted in with the Super X Winchester power point in 140 grain. I cant find them anywhere so I ended up buying the Hornady Whitetail in 139 grain. I noticed that the bullet was just a tad bit taller than my original Winchester bullet. I currently have 3 left. Will the Hornady bullet alter the shot in any way?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,320 Posts
There's absolutely no telling. Probably close, but I'd be surprised if it was exactly on. I've seen two different brands of the same bullet weight, group 4" apart horizontally (at one hundred yards) in one of my guns. Who knows why.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's absolutely no telling. Probably close, but I'd be surprised if it was exactly on. I've seen two different brands of the same bullet weight, group 4" apart horizontally (at one hundred yards) in one of my guns. Who knows why.....
Thanks Mike! I'll mostly be shooting deer from about 80 yards to almost 200 at times. I had to get the Hornady last minute.

·
Registered
434 Posts
A good thing to do is if you buy a box of ammo that shoots well, go back and buy more of the same with the same lot number. Different ammo makers put the lot number in different places, but I rarely see any that do not have one. Sometimes even the same ammo (brand, weight, ect) from different lots will shoot better or worse and to different points of impact.

So when I bought factory ammo, I would make sure they have plenty, buy a box, shoot a group. If it was good, buy the rest. That does not always work, for example the current ammo shortage makes it kind of rough. Then there are the times when I could only afford one box of ammo.

·
The Shadow
7,588 Posts
Yep, gotta test them.
Some guns don't like certain bullets, but generally it's the powder.
Ammo companies don't use the powders we buy, and they change rather regularly.

If the goal is hitting some velocity, say 2,800fps. The company has 2 choices,
A) use 3.5cc's of one powder
B) use 3.2cc's of another powder
They can save a bunch of money over a half million rounds.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
No arguments with the comments so far.

I've owned several 7-08's since it was first standardized by Remington in the 80's. It's no different than any other round in that class when it comes to grouping different bullets at hunting ranges.
You need to try the ammo out to know, and do that before you invest in a lot of money in anything. I've found that even bullets of the same weight can shift the POI dramatically, in some cases, a lot more than 3" or 4". And there's no predicting where the change will be on the compass. Groups size can also be a big difference, not always in a good way. Hornady bullets though, one of my favorite products, have always worked well in all of my 7-08s.

Here's some good news. I've had no issues finding components for the 7-08, (except for primers :( ). If you don't load your own, you might want to re-think that option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a new hunter this year and I've got a compact 7mm-08 Savage Axis. My rifle was sighted in with the Super X Winchester power point in 140 grain. I cant find them anywhere so I ended up buying the Hornady Whitetail in 139 grain. I noticed that the bullet was just a tad bit taller than my original Winchester bullet. I currently have 3 left. Will the Hornady bullet alter the shot in any way?
First and very important don't rely on someone else sighting in your rifle! Second if you are gun shy get good hearing protection and get help to stop flinching. Third if your trigger is too hard get the pull reduced. Factory ammo is not all the same. Find what your rifle likes and stick to that. your rifle likes and stick yo that.
If you were shooting a heavier grain in Winchester 150? then you went to 139 of course our point of impact is highter because it is lighter.
I prefer hand loads, heavier in not necessarily the answer, sometimes lighter and faster might be the ticket.
I like to shoot a 264 caliber with 100 or 120 grains @ 29 or 3000fps. great out to 300 to 400 yards With a midrange trijectory of about 1.75" rise at 200 yards. I've killed south Texas deer @ 475 yards with 100 gr 264 nosler bullistic tip bullet with about 3" hold over the deer's back right through the boiler maker. IT CAME OUT THE OTHER SIDE. Lucky maybe, but you won't know till you try it.

·
Super Moderator
13,269 Posts
Maya,

It's too small for humans to see, but barrels bend and flex during firing, and the result is that the muzzle keeps changing the exact direction it points while the bullet is still moving down the barrel. So, if you get same-bullet-weight ammo that uses a different powder whose characteristics accelerate the bullet at different rates in different portions of its travel down the barrel, then, even with the same muzzle velocity from both, you can have a different barrel time for the bullets. That means they may leave the gun with the muzzle pointing in slightly different directions. That is why the exact same point of impact cannot be guaranteed. In this case, though, the muzzle velocity is about 40 ft/s different when fired from a 24" barrel, so the barrel time is definitely different. If the muzzle's direction at the time of the bullet's exits was exactly the same, the difference in their trajectories would not exceed four tenths of an inch to 200 yards. But you can't really expect that same barrel time, so, as already advised, you'll need to check your sight zero with the ammo you could get. If you can, set your zero at 173 yards, and the highest and lowest points in the trajectory will be the same distance from where the sight is looking: about 1¼ inches for a 24 inch barrel and about 1½ for an 18 inch barrel. If you have to use 100 yards to zero the gun, center your groups 1¼" high for a 22 or 24 inch barrel, and 1½ inches high for shorter barrels. The deer won't really know the difference, but at least you'll feel like you've done all you can to get things right.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I once had a friends Remington 7400 in 30-06 that would shoot 165gr Speer RN into tinny clusters. Keep everything the same, but changing the bullet style to a Spire Point, the groups went to sh it.

Guns are like that. Some don't care what you put in them, other's have fits if you change brands or bullet shapes.

Reactions: TMan

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Guns are like that. Some don't care what you put in them, other's have fits if you change brands or bullet shapes.
Yeah :( !!

It wouldn't bother me if I knew why. I don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts