Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of use Dillon equipment. Do any of you have trouble with your powder dispensor throwing inconsistant amounts when using a powder like H110? Now that I shoot metallic silhouette, I think slowing down my handloading proceedures may increase accuracy. It seems no matter how I try, my thrown charges can vary as much as four tenths of a grain. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,
Mark  

·
Registered
251 Posts
I use a lot of H110 loading big handgun calibers on my RL550B.  I find that the charge variance will be .2 grain from smallest to largest, with most of the charges in the middle where they are supposed to be.  Three things to look at.  First, you need to make sure you are moving the operating handle the exact same way every time, especially on the last little bit of stroke where you are seating the primer.  Second, you want to have it adjusted to where the charge bar is all the way back at the very bottom of the downstroke.  Third, how much wiggle do you have in your loading bench?  Any is too much, if it shakes or wiggles very much while the press is cycled you will not get consistent powder charges.
Good shooting
Mark

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
Sounds like static could be a culprit.  Do you notice grains of powder sticking to the inside of the hopper when the powder level drops?

With several progressive presses that I have used, both metallic and shotgun, I've gotten good consistent results with a variety of powder, both flake and ball.  My Dillon is very consistent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Powder does stick to the hopper. How do you stop that? I have tried the static sheet idea. That did not work with the dillon. As far as the same stroke and the table being secure, that is all good. I never looked to close to the charge bar adjustment. I will play with that. Thanks for the help.
Mark  

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been loading ball powders on my Dillon with no problems. AA5, AA7, WW296 all work fine. Some of the advice on the other posts on this thread are good ones, especially about having the press on something very stable.
On the powder sticking to the inside of the measure; I had the same problem when my Dillon setup was new. Dillon told me to wipe down the inside of the measure with rubbing alcohol.
Strangely, the problem cured itself! I guess I loaded enough ammo with it that the coating on the powders left residue inside the measure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a problem once; it was with the tension on powder rod. Was not getting full movement. Spring is for seating primer. Just do not over tighten or you could be pulling on powder linkage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts