Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that hunters using 300 grain BTBs in their 44s and 45s are getting ideal bullet performance; i.e. large permanent-wound-channel and complete penetration, on game such as deer, elk, piggies, and black bear. It would follow, then, that the benefit of heavier bullets would be: more recoil, deeper hillside penetration, along with a higher trajectory and smaller permanent-wound-channel due to reduced velocity.

So, unless 1. A heavier bullet is more accurate in your gun, 2. Game bigger than elk is planned, or 3. Maximum penetration is desirable for bear defense, why would we want a heavier bullet for our 44s and 45s?

Darrel

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Tio,
      I don't know why you would. I don't in my .44. In fact I've settled on a 265gr load.    ID

·
Registered
339 Posts
Heres my .02  I have always loaded my hunting rifles and handguns with the heavier bullets. I have always felt that the little loss of speed was unnoticable, but the performance of the heavier bullet wasn't.

Now keep in mind I started hunting in the 60's and most everything I read was all about big bullets going at modest velocity, eat'en up to the bullet hole!
My time in the field has proved this theory time and time again.  Now keep in mind I don't always run big bullets full throttle, most of my hunting loads with hard cast bullets are moderate velocity.

IMHO more deer are lost in America due to Jacketed bullets failure to expand, more then anything else hunting related. Down here in South Carolina the 270 rules the woods and I here horrible stories all the time about deer being hit, but lost,most times with premium type shells, now I can tell you I can't take that I feel so sick every time I here that. If those people would have been using a 35Rem or a 30-30 ( they probably have one in there closet )they may have not lost those deer.

A whitetail Doe or Buck down here just are not that big.   Yes you can be have TOO MUCH GUN or the wrong gun bullet combo. JMHO..............marko

This also applies to Handguns.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Handgun, I just don't have the experience yet. I know a guy that shoots Hornady XTPs in 240 gr Mag and 180 gr Special hunting rounds and he knocks em dead out to 100 yds with a long barreled stainless Super Blackhawk with a Burris scope.

He also shoots a Hornady Tactical round in .308 at ranges up to 200 yds, neck shots only, and he does not miss. He is the exception around here. He can shoot and he does often, but he has been doing it a long time and has had much formal and informal training. The guy is confident and he takes shots he knows he can make, without exeption. He is also an excelent bow shot and has many kills to his credit. He hunts constantly and practices constantly and has some God given talent to boot.
I just tell you what he uses for reference because he could probably shoot about anything and do just as good. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Right tool for the job, Right tool for the job, right tool for the job. Practice, practice, practice.

I think, here in S.C., my neck of the woods, the biggest problem is lack of practice and improper use of the proper (gun, bullet, sight system) tool. Like Starrbow says, so many people start out with a 30-30 and loose a deer because of whatever(shot placement or bad sight system or lack of practice) and they immediately go get a more powerful or specialized gun( excuse me military guys,) rifle. Just because you were born in a hunting state or your Dad could shoot does not mean you can. I am the worlds worst shot but when I practice I get better and I get confident and when I am confident with my equipment I am as accurate as anyone and when crunch time comes I will come through. Besides, it's fun to practice.

Man. What started that choir preaching. Hope there was some novice out there that got something from that disertation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The idea of using a heavy bullet comes from shooters always wanting a load which will do anything that a pistol could possibly do.
While some loads may be ideal for a particular situation, the heavy bullet will work ok for the vast majority of shooting.
Say you were hunting varmints with your 44mag. In your wanderings, you come in contact with an old range bull that takes exception to your presence. Which would you rather have in the gun? a 180 gr 1700 fps load or a 300 gr at 1250 fps.?
I admit its a what if situation but thats what gun nuts like to think up.
You might also have to take a not so perfect shot that requires more penetration than you would normally need. A wounded animal may be headed south and you may have to make the shot from the north. Would'nt you rather have a load with 40 inches of penetration rather than a load with 16 inches at that point?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts