Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small % of reloaded 410's will not let cylinder of Judge rotate, and yes, my primers are fully seated.Seems as if shoulder of remington brass, headspace, is not compressed(?) fully, or maybe angle is not full 55 degrees, or sumthin is goin on I do not comprehend yet.

Anyone had this prob or know what I am even tryin to say.???.Helpplz

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I would think that reloaded shotgun shells wouldn't work very well in a pistol using a cylinder. If you could find Brass .410 shells I would think that would be the solution.

·
Registered
185 Posts
One thing I have found in reloading 410 shells is that the rim sometimes bulges, that is the inside part that is against the chamber. It is often not square anymore, but rounded. It can affect headspace. It may be caused by a couple of things, such as how the chamber of the gun is cut and 410's working at higher pressures, than the larger gauges. That can make this condition worse. The normal sizing ring that most dies have will not get this out. I have collet sizers for 12 and 20 gauges but not for the 410, so I don't know if that will make a difference. Shooting shotgun hulls in a revolver may create unique problems not found in long guns. Hopefully others will have ideas also.

·
Registered
560 Posts
As GBertolet said, if you are using a loader that sizes cases like the mec 600 (most reloaders do) that is the likely problem. You will need a mec supersizer or a mec sizemaster to tackle this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm, due to ease of hull ID, I chose 410's to learn reloading. So man, have I found other concerns. Just shows how lil I know, Huh?
And yes, the collet resizer in my sizemaster does not affect nor touch headspace of once fired hulls.
I visited with [email protected] ammo plant by phone, and she said they were aware of this prob, and that they had had reports of this same prob with unfired factory loads.

I have looked at a couple of boxes of first run factory loads in my stash, loaded cylinder and spun, just like gunsmoke, and found no probs. Who knows??

Thanks for thought comebacks. Will shoot more and shoot more often and continue to report.

THANKS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts