Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's mainly wrong with society today is that too many Dirt Roads have been paved.

There's not a problem in America today, crime, drugs, education, divorce, delinquency that wouldn't be remedied, if we just had more Dirt Roads, because Dirt Roads give character.

People that live at the end of Dirt Roads learn early on that life is a bumpy ride.

That it can jar you right down to your teeth sometimes, but it's worth it, if at the end is home...a loving spouse, happy kids and a dog.

We wouldn't have near the trouble with our educational system if our kids got their exercise walking a Dirt Road with other kids, from whom they learn how to get along.

There was less crime in our streets before they were paved.

Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or rape, if they knew they'd be welcomed by 5 barking dogs and a double barrel shotgun.

And there were no drive by shootings.

Our values were better when our roads were worse!

People did not worship their cars more than their kids, and motorists were more courteous, they didn't tailgate by riding the bumper or the guy in front would choke you with dust & bust your windshield with rocks.

Dirt Roads taught patience.

Dirt Roads were environmentally friendly, you didn't hop in your car for a quart of milk you walked to the barn for your milk.

For your mail, you walked to the mail box.

What if it rained and the Dirt Road got washed out? That was the best part, then you stayed home and had some family time, roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and pony rode on Daddy's shoulders and learned how to make prettier quilts than anybody.

At the end of Dirt Roads, you soon learned that bad words tasted like soap.

Most paved roads lead to trouble, Dirt Roads more likely lead to a fishing creek or a swimming hole.

At the end of a Dirt Road, the only time we even locked our car was in August, because if we didn't some neighbor would fill it with too much zucchini.

At the end of a Dirt Road, there was always extra springtime income, from when city dudes would get stuck, you'd have to hitch up a team and pull them out.

Usually you got a dollar...always you got a new friend...at the end of a Dirt Road!
:) ;) :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
NRAJOE, I can relate to the dirt roads as this is the time I grew up in. My Son-In-Law is city born and raised and has lived at the end of a dirt road for almost 2 yrs. You cant hardly get him to go to the Big city (Sanfrancisco) anymore. Their may be help for this boy yet. Gonna make a copy of your post and give it to him. Daughter keeps him in line as she was country raised. Thanks again.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
548 Posts
NRAJOE -

Nicely written piece. I gave up the city and its values six years ago. Dirt roads are truly amazing things. We live in Virginia up against the Blue Ridge, where most of the dirt roads were cut from Jefferson's time up through the Civil War. The banks come up to your shoulders and one car must stop to let another pass. Trees touch above, and the sun plays the seasons in light, shadow and even darkness.

I can never walk them and not feel the presence of the past, somewhere in my own gravel steps I hear the wagon wheels, which half cut and half rolled through here. These are living things, these roads, quietly stating that "now" is measured in centuries, leaving me alone with my thoughts, to ponder the smallness of my own existence.

Paved roads are not for walking and thinking, a small pleasure that has worked its way up my needs ladder as I have aged, and is dang near the top now.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep guys, the wife and I are saving for our own piece of dirt road. Can't deal with the city life anymore...want to see stars, not neon!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, I was born in a logging town in the Sierras, Lived in the Ozarks for awhile, lotsa dirt. I am now in the Sierra foothills, pop. 26000. Too many.
Moving to Bonners Ferry, Id. next week. POP. 2500, but will be 4 miles out of town.
You can still take yer guns to town. AK's legal.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
kenh said:
Yep, I was born in a logging town in the Sierras, Lived in the Ozarks for awhile, lotsa dirt. I am now in the Sierra foothills, pop. 26000. Too many.
Moving to Bonners Ferry, Id. next week. POP. 2500, but will be 4 miles out of town.
You can still take yer guns to town. AK's legal.
Ken

Welcome to Idaho. I live down by Orofino in a small town called Peck population about 200. Born in Orofino and grew up in this country. I don't know a lot about hunting up by Bonners Ferry, but there is great hunting there and where I live.

Please pay attention to the sign when you come into the state.

"Welcome to Idaho, please set your clocks back 20 years"

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
NRAJOE said:
Yep guys, the wife and I are saving for our own piece of dirt road. Can't deal with the city life anymore...want to see stars, not neon!
It's worth it! I gave up the big city in 1995 and despite the ride before and after, I thank my Lord for giving me the courage to do just that! I'm a better person for it and stand in awe everyday at just what God made for US!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,952 Posts
Boy - You guys are digging down deep to dredge up these old posts! :eek:

·
Registered
516 Posts
faucettb - I like Idaho's saying, but the question remains: Is 20 years enough?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I think we need more dirt roads!

Lee L.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones! I 've always live out in the Bush (with the execption of a stint in the military) I work hundereds of miles from other human beings as a rule ! Even the closest town to our family Property has nearly all dirt roads ! My second wife came from a major city & she & her kids had never been out Bush until they moved in with me .
Now I sometimes think that she & the kids are more accustomed to this life style than I am !!! :eek: I always say where else can a 11yr Old boy give up the Play station in favor of his own Car ,Motor bike & more importantly grab a rifle & go hunting ! Yeah I think a lot of our problems have to do with the fact that society on the whole has forgoten the basics ! Or is it that ,I've just let the world pass me by? ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
What is a paved road?????

I too am a lucky person. I gave up the "city life" years ago and got my own piece of Heaven. It is nice to have all the woods and water around me. I am at peace here. My sister and her family came up to visit over Memorial Day weekend, They went stir crazy in 3 days. No Mc Donalds to go get breakfast at, No malls to shop. Oh, they are here, But 50 miles away. My 8 year old neice was the best. She would go out with my wife every morning and gather eggs and pet the chickens, She had never seen live chickens before let alone brown eggs. She would go with me to feed and water the hogs and cattle. She did not want to go home when the time came. I understand this life style is not for everyone, But it is for some of us. We do not have any real crime to worry about except the local racoons that steal an egg or two, Or the bears when they raid the garbage cans ( yes we have garbage cans and even roadside pick-up here) You play hard, Eat hard and sleep hard. I guess it is a hard life.. But I love it. God Bless Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Yes, well written peice!

I too think that the best thing I ever did for our family and the kids in particular was moving out in the country, at the end of our 2 1/2 mile driveway..... dirt of course, unless of course in North Idaho it's what others call spring, we call it MUD SEASON! Then the 4x4's aren't a soccer mom's taxi, but a outright necessity.

Yep, when the kids don't even want to ride the 10 miles to town to get groceries, but would rather stay "home" and go for a walk with the dogs in the woods behind the house, life IS good!

A few more dirt roads wouldn't hurt a thing!

God bless,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts