Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
Why not just repair that one? What are the groups shaped like? What is the order of shots? How does it shoot factory ammo? It's very rare to find a rifle that shoots its best right out of the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shape of the groups would be best described as all over the map. None were strictly vertical or horizontal. I would totally agree with you that most factory rifles do not shoot their best right out of the box. I have no loyalty to any certain calibre or manufacturer, and I play with lots of rifles every year. Factory rifles and custom builds from many different builders. To be honest this is actually the first time I have ever posted a thread on any gun forum.

The reason I say all of that is because this gun is SO bad. I hope to save some poor fellow shooter a few hundred bucks when he's at the counter deciding on his next purchase.

Dang it- It just donned on me that its too late to cancel my order of two extra magazines for the rifle. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
There IS a pattern to the rifle's inaccuracy. I'd you'll shoot ONE load to find that pattern, it's much easier to find what's wrong with it.
Once the pattern is established, I can make suggestions of how to fix it. I refuse to believe it 'just won't shoot'.

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
Have you at least looked at the bedding to see if a sling mount is hitting the barrel or the magazine box is bowing the action or to see if the crown is buggered? Is the action under stress or the barrel allowed to bounce? Have you checked the fit of the bolt? Headspace? How does the firing pin stop inside the bolt?

It sounds like the only trouble shooting you've done is just shooting up ammo without rhyme or reason. I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is because I'm convinced the rifle is NOT inherently bad, only temporarily sour. By finding out why, others can benefit and I'll know where to look if one should come my way.

FWIW--The first Ruger M77s would sometimes miss a garbage can at 50 yards. Many customers were VERY displeased. The magazine boxes were about .010 too tall, that's all.

Reactions: xjsdvr

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
I would feel terrible for the poor fella that can only afford to buy one rifle and then has to spend a bunch of money on making it do what it should.
That USED to be normal. There were NO factory rifles that were anywhere near 'right' and it cost about a third of the rifle to make it right. It was embarrassing enough that I didn't SELL rifles, only worked on them. It was just sloppy workmanship. I see the same thing today, but some seem to shoot very well.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It does happen that we sometimes get a bad barrel, happened to me several years ago with a Rem. 700 chambered in 300 WM. That rifle wouldn't even consistently get them on the paper. I swapped the scope Zies then Leuplold, thinking maybe. Bedded it, even though I knew there was no way bedding could cause unpredictable 18"+ POI variations. After doing everything I could think of I took it into a smith to have the bore inspected, wow, the bore scope revealed the worst looking barrel imaginable. Looked like the tooling broke during the process, chunks missing and huge visible variations in groove depths, never seen anything like this before. I would bore scope it and see if it reveals any obvious defects.

Other than that, if it won't shoot send it back to Kimber. Those rifles should be capable of 1"or better, I know Tika's are.

SMOA

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
I understand that in the "old" days a lot of guns didn't come off of the shelf shooting very well. I have only been shooting for about 20 years, so I can't claim to know what all of the problems are that manufacturers have had. I can say with confidence that I have a room full of rifles and this is the worst one I've ever taken to the range. I have probably just been super lucky in my short time shooting. I'm certainly not a gunsmith either. Maybe a good gun mechanic could make this thing a whiz bang rifle in no time at all. I don't know.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I can say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the Tikka's. Kinda shocked me how well they preformed off of the shelf. My 11 year old just got his first hunting rifle (Tikka T3 chambered in 7mm-08) and it shoots an inch with federal blue box. I haven't even loaded a round for it. I liked it so much that I picked up an 06 for myself. The only thing I've done to those rifles since purchasing them is having a muzzle break added to each to mitigate some recoil.
There are a surprising number of factory rifles sold these days that are capable of very good to excellent accuracy, as you have discovered. I would go so far as to say most Kimber rifles are capable of such, right out of the box. If I bought a brand new Kimber, and it performed as you have described, I would endeavor to send it back to them for a once over; odds are good there is something wrong with your lock, stock or barrel.

In the olden days, before the Internet, guns that shot less than an inch at 100 yards were primarily custom rigs, or factory rifles tuned with handloads. When my model 670, chambered in 270 Winchester, shot an honest .580" group at 100 yards, you could have knocked me over with a feather. I've been hooked on reloading ever since!

It sounds to me like you have purchased a lot of rifles and I can't help but wonder if you've become truly acquainted with any of them. That you haven't checked ANY of the standard accuracy-robbing conditions on that Kimber tells me that you know how to buy rifles, and shoot them, but haven't taken the time to learn much at all about WHY a given rifle shoots well. And Lord help ya, if you do! ;)

Reactions: JBelk

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum!

Agree with those who mentioned sending it back. Kimber might not give a toot but at least talk to them and give 'em the benefit of the doubt. If they blow you off then bad mouth them if you chose.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What is so hard about sending it back? Kimber WILL correct the problem. I bought a Howa 6.5×55 a few months ago, I was not happy with how it functioned. Called Howa, no questions asked SEND IT BACK, they even sent a FedEX call tag. Bottom line the chamber was tight, they supposedly polished the chamber to 0.00045 over minimum and apologized for the inconvenience, it shoots under ½" groups with nearly any load. Kimber didn't build their reputation by ignoring customers.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
If one buys enough new rifles and scopes you're bound to get a bad one in the bunch. Even makers known for quality can have a lemon slip by and be sold.

I bought a new rifle that failed to fire on its first trip to the range. Yes, I was quite frustrated, but I didn't spout venom at the rifle or maker online, I called the maker and a truck pulled up in front of my house two days later to take the rifle back to be checked and repaired by that maker.

Until a person gives the manufaturer a chance to fix the rifle, I'd be a bit careful about smearing their name & reputation.

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
I agree--
"Customer Service" is many times half the value. Even through several owners and changes Kimber has kept a very good reputation for quality and customer service.
I'd suggest trying the customer service and if that doesn't bring results, THEN you have the right to complain about the gun.
Until then, it sounds too much like the guy that bought an expensive guitar and complained because it was out of tune.

Reactions: Timc and catch 22

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Try some 129gr Hornady SP.

All the bullets you mentioned trying are either boattails, on not noted for their accuracy.

Try some slower burning powder like Rel-19 or 22 or maybe H4831 or 4530.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
What is so hard about sending it back? Kimber WILL correct the problem. ...........
I wouldn't bet on it. I know more than one person who's had accuracy issues or other issues with a Kimber, they send it back, and Kimber says there is no problem.

As they told one person I know, "1.5-2" groups are within our accuracy standards".

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
We have 4 Kimber 84s in the family, all shoot sub MOA.

Shoot my Kimber 84 in 260 Rem (creed is just a clone) at 300 yards twice a week...ALWAYS under 3" ,off bench at 300 Yard on my windy home range (vertically 1.5").

My 6.5 Kimber shoots sub MOA out of the box, with factory and handloads, 123-140 grain. It wears a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x. For a super light weight, it shoots fantastic.

Kimber makes the best out of the box factory rifle, and they stand behind their products. Send it back if you can't figure it out. Re-barreling it will cost you plenty, and the rifle with a re-barrel will just reduce its resale value.

Two possible problems not mentioned could be your scope/mounts or the shooting style.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts