Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Browning 92 apart the other day to clean it. The Browning 92 has a recoil lug welded to the rear of it's magazine tube that fits into a cutout in the bottom of the barrel. Rossi's lack this feature and that's the reason their mag tubes jump out under the recoil generated by heavy loads.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How heavy of a load does it take? I've never experienced such a thing with my 2 Rossi's.
All 3 of my 44 mag Rossi's mag tubes jumped under recoil from 290-350 gr loads. I ended up using a larger diameter roll pin in forward mag tube ring. It worked but the capacity is reduced by a couple rounds. The Browning's tube is securely locked to the barrel with that recoil lug so it cannot move at all. Another fix would be a longer screw in the magazine end cap, and a deeper hole in the barrel for it, but as far as I know, no one makes this screw.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight of the bullet of course. You can't get that much powder in a 50 BMG round (I don't think) I load these in R-P 44 spl cases pushed by W-296 for 1500 fps (for the 350 grainers)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I guess that is the difference then. My 2 Rossi's are in .357 and .45 Colt. Wife shoots the .357 and I shoot the .45. We shoot the same ammo in our 6 shooter revolvers, so naturally I keep the loads on the light side. 200 grain lead over 8.5 grains of Unique in the .45, and 158 grain lead over 5.5 grains of Unique for the .357. Velocity doesn't matter when shooting stationary targets.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that is the difference then. My 2 Rossi's are in .357 and .45 Colt. Wife shoots the .357 and I shoot the .45. We shoot the same ammo in our 6 shooter revolvers, so naturally I keep the loads on the light side. 200 grain lead over 8.5 grains of Unique in the .45, and 158 grain lead over 5.5 grains of Unique for the .357. Velocity doesn't matter when shooting stationary targets.
I hear you. My "target" loads are 9 gr Unique under a 240 gr lead bullet in the 44. I've experimented with dozens of loads and bullet weights but these are my regular plinking loads. Midway between a 44 spl and 44 mag loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts