Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend in a related business who uses advanced aerospace graphite pre-preg a lot. He's interested in adding a full carbon/graphite wrap on rifle barrels. It's NOT as expensive as some might suggest. Does anyone have a good idea of the taper or dimensions typically used for the light tubes generally wrapped in Carbon/Graphite? In other words, if you were going to design a lightweight steel barrel you wanted wrapped in graphite, just how light or how thin would you turn it.
If you could ship a lightweight barrel blank to have this (carbon wrap) service performed, what do you think is a fair price for the service, ready for chambering and finishing?

BTW, he says the wrapped barrel will have to be heated for a while to cure the carbon - no more than 250*F. Would that low temperature harm most barrels? OPINIONS?

TIA!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,434 Posts
Sounds like the work that Carbon One (I think that is the name) is already doing. A Google search might turn up some relevant facts.

Good luck.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbon One?

MikeG said:
Sounds like the work that Carbon One (I think that is the name) is already doing. A Google search might turn up some relevant facts.

Good luck.
I'm familiar with that one... Not quite the same thing I had in mind. Some builders simply slide a graphite tube over a rifle barrel and 'glue' it in place. What I'm talkin' about is a thick (or thin) layer of hi-tech carbon graphite fabric wrapped under pressure and bonded to the barrel as it would be made for the aerospace industry.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts