Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got a .30 06', .30 30, and a .50 caliber muzzleloader. By this summer some bonuses will be coming around so I will be stuck with the option of:

A) Buy another rifle

B) Buy another bow

I guess the only reason I would buy another rifle is my .30 06' is almost too nice to take into the woods, especially in inclement weather. It was my dad's and I want to keep it in nice shape for my son one day.

With that said, would you guys get another rifle? I don't see where I would need another caliber for deer hunting in Tennessee.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I'd say to get yourself a weatherproof rifle in .308 or .270. Either caliber is excellent for deer hunting anywhere and in SS you'll also have a choice between bolt action or lever action. Of course you could also add the fine .358 Win and .35 Whelen into consideration as well, both being available in SS from Ruger.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking a Weatherby Vanguard or Remington 700 SPS in .270 if I decided to buy a another rifle.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
You surely need a .257 Roberts. That was my second hunting rifle, after starting with a .30-06, so consider me your mentor here and be sure to follow my good advice ;)

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
"Need" doesn't seem to be a factor here. "Want" is a better description!

358 Winchester, because you 'need' something bigger!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
well you could always upgrade some of your optics if need be and make your good rifles a tad better or ad that nice set of bino's or spotting scope to the group. but nothing wrong with haveing too many rifles opposed to not enough.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I agree with Mike, a .257 Roberts is a great quarterbore option, but Jim is right too, upgrading your optics is a good idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was at this point many years ago with a 30-06 and a 444 marlin about what to get next. I chose the remington 700 in 338win mag so i could hunt anywhere in the US, Russia( Siberia ) or Canada someday on a dream hunt so i would have the firearm i need already. Heck i could hunt the thinned skinned game in africa too.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
UTGrad,

You could do a lot worse than following Mike's advice...there's a guy who's been there, done that!

While I think the 257 Roberts is a great cartridge, if I were in your shoes I would pick up a .243 Winchester, and I'll tell ya why.

1) It will harvest deer cleanly out to 250/300 yards.
2) I noticed a conspicuous absence of a varmint gun in your list.
3) It's a fun gun to reload for because they can be very accurate with both varmint and big game bullets.
4) If/when the time comes for you to introduce or young person or a lady to shooting/hunting, it's an excellent caliber to have around, due to the light recoil.

Just my .02.

·
Banned
296 Posts
You might could do without a new rifle but you could really do without a new bow. I know several guys who are obsessed with the newest and fastest bows and each year theyll buy the new bow and sell their old one. And for what the new bows cost you could buy a really nice gun and scope.

A Remington 700 SPS in 270 win would be a great choice. It would have a bit more reach than the 06 for those field shots and your 30-30 can serve as you woods gun.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am a certified bowhunting fanatic, and my vote would be for a new rifle. I used to chase the newest, best bow every year. As I have grown older, I have realized that the best deals are on the used bow market. Bows do not hold their value like guns, and companies stop supporting bows sooner in their life than gun companies.

So, I now buy used bows (best deals around), and use the money saved for guns.
Dan

·
Banned
296 Posts
A backup bow is like an old truck that you keep out back for backup. You think its back there ready to go but when you call on it in a time of need its not up to par. Keeping your Dads rifle looking like it does now will be hard to do if you hunt with it alot. Nicks and scratches happen and they cant be taken back. Trust me.

If youre really set on new archery equipment you could consider a crossbow. They are legal in TN now and are pretty popular here in middle TN.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just looking at some Tikka T3...pretty nice and I've always liked the way they feel in the store.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Friend of mine bought a stainless T3 in 308 at the beginning of the season. Not a bad gun. Groups well and wasnt real bad expensinve (higher than a Rem SPS though). Probably the only thing I didnt like about it was the plastic clip it came with. Im a fan of clips on bolt guns but Im not a fan of things made from plastic. I think his came with rings and bases for a scope as well

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I think you need another freezer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Friend of mine bought a stainless T3 in 308 at the beginning of the season. Not a bad gun. Groups well and wasnt real bad expensinve (higher than a Rem SPS though). Probably the only thing I didnt like about it was the plastic clip it came with. Im a fan of clips on bolt guns but Im not a fan of things made from plastic. I think his came with rings and bases for a scope as well

I think I might be able to look past the plastic magazine if it shoots well.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Yeah a man could live with the clip. I believe he told me that you could buy different size clips for it. The factory one is 3 rounds I think and you can buy 5 round and larger.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts