Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for some opinions on a rifle scope. This optic will go on a cz527 currently chambered in 223 that will be rebarreled for 6mm-222 in the future. Im looking for something that can pull predator duty to 400-500 yards, pig hunting duty at 50-125 yards, and spend most of its time on the target range (not competitive) out as far as I can get but certainly within 1000 yards (likely no further than 6-800 if I'm honest). I may get the opportunity to do some prairie dogging from time to time but it wont be often. I can get a few things near cost (leupold, sig, sightron, redfield, weaver, zeiss) but the options are usually limited. Im presently looking at the Sig Tango 4 4-16x44 and the Leupold VX 5HD 3-15x44.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ive looked through a cheaper sig and the glass was decent, the vx5 was really nice too. Id be sold on the vx5 if the sig didnt have a ffp (I'll also add Ive never owned a ffp scope, or shot past 200ish yards soooo...). The reviews of the sig look promising, its certainly loaded with features. I was looking at the windplex reticle for the vx5 and the moa2 for the sig. Thoughts and opinions on reticles are certainly welcome and appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Revolver

P.s. anyone use a McMillan A3 Sporter? Im stock shopping too but that will come after the scope, the rifle is naked at the moment and needs glass.

·
Premium Member
15,345 Posts
I like 3.5-10X and 4-12X Leupolds the best. I have one 6-18 and a 6.5-20X on other rifles that's a waste, IMO.

You'll have to alter the bolt handle to mount a scope low enough for comfort, but that's no big deal.

My vote--4-12X Leupold.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JBelk

I was originally looking at 20s until I read your comments on another thread that you felt anything past 15 was a waste so I backed down to that range. If your shooting at p-dogs out at 700 with a 12x then I may back even further to the 10-12 range though. Do you feel there is any appreciable difference between the vx2 and 3 line? The vx5 was nice because of the turret system, it was a bit clearer than my vx2 is, the 30mm tube is nice, and i like the 44mm objective thats about as big as Im willing to go. 50 is too big and 40 is about right to me. Do you feel that mirage and body fidgets are too appreciable in a 15x to make that magnification level useful? I also assume your using a standard duplex? I tend to prefer the less cluttered reticles honestly but everyone seems to be going that direction so I figured I might dip a toe in the water with a windplex.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I like a 3-9 for centerfire. Maybe a 4-12. I've got some higher magnification scopes but they're about only good for precision long range fun and varmint shooting

A 3-9 will give a good field of view for the up close shots and enough precision to reach out some. You can get hits with a 3-9x out to 1000 yards no problem. But the much higher magnification optics are going to help with precision some.

My ultimate vote is a 2-10 power. For its low power and wide field of view for shots Sub 100 yards. But 10x mag should get you out to 400 yards or so with good enough precision. There really is no "perfect" one scope. You need job specific tools. When shooting 800+ yards consistently, you will want a much higher magnification scope. For close in at 100 yards minus, you don't want high magnification at all because you get a very narrow field of view.

A 4-12, 4-16, 3-9, 2-10, or even one of the rarer 2-12 power scopes will all fill your needs. I advocate Leupold optics first. Then vortex. There are other good brands if you want to throw down a little more cash such as nightforce, but it's not needed.

A 6x or 7x scope gets me out to 200 yards with enough precision for .5-.75 MOA groups. I haven't shot for groups further with those rifles but I think they'd do just fine out to about 400. I've hit prarie dogs with the 6x out closer to 300 yards many times.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vx5 2-10

The scope I originally settled on was a Leupold VX5 2-10X42 with the CDS set up. Im really starting to think that I may have had it right off the bat. 600 will really be the farthest I expect I'll ever get to shoot, 425 is about the furthest I'll get to shoot consistently and a 10x would theoretically be pretty well suited for that. The vx5 2-10 is 15.4 ounces so not terrible, its only an inch longer than the 2-7 vx2 I have on my 527 22 hornet, the bell is only .2 inches wider and .1 inches longer so bolt clearance should be fine and it shouldn't dwarf the little 527 action too bad. The CDS system, if it actually works, will get me out to around 1000 with its 38 moa of elevation. That may be the best way to go.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Think I understand what you are trying to do. Scopes like most things are easy to expect too much from. Hunting scopes generally don't make a good target sight. Varminting scopes likewise, aren't at their best at close range and low light. Hunting reticles are coarser while while my target and prairie dog scopes have thin crosshairs. Guess I'd figure out what is most important to you and make fewer compromises going in that direction.
Afraid I won't be much help in the range and wind doping scopes. Prefer plain or duplex reticles. Also I tend to stay low on power. 10 or 12x is about all I use, even on glass that offers more, but I don't shoot targets or prairie dogs beyond 500 yards.
Last thing I prefer to handle and look through any glass I'm considering. Everyones eyes are different. What someone else might recommend may not be the best for you.
Good luck doing research and making your choice!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
My CZ wears a Weaver GS 4-16x with SF. very versatility. My Sako wears a 6-20x Leupold and my favorite Kimber walk around wears a Leupold 3.5-10X. All seem to work fine for game and varmints out to 40+ yards, good hunting scopes.

·
Premium Member
15,345 Posts
The first thing I look for in a scope is simplicity, elegance and size. I do NOT want a scope that can't be mounted LOW. I don't want a scope that has to be 'adjusted' to use. I leave power settings set and they very seldom leave it. Same with AO. Its' set on 150 yards unless I'm shooting paper.
I like fine tapered cross hairs or fine 4 plex and nothing else. I don't want a submarine periscope reticule, just a single aiming point. I'll take it from there.

Truth be known, APPEARANCE plays a VERY large part of my scope purchases. I don't care how 'clear' the European scopes are, they're ugly and won't be mounted on one of my rifles. Trim, crisp edges and matte finish with a gold ring is just perfect on any rifle, to my way of thinking.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
The scope I originally settled on was a Leupold VX5 2-10X42 with the CDS set up. Im really starting to think that I may have had it right off the bat. 600 will really be the farthest I expect I'll ever get to shoot, 425 is about the furthest I'll get to shoot consistently and a 10x would theoretically be pretty well suited for that. The vx5 2-10 is 15.4 ounces so not terrible, its only an inch longer than the 2-7 vx2 I have on my 527 22 hornet, the bell is only .2 inches wider and .1 inches longer so bolt clearance should be fine and it shouldn't dwarf the little 527 action too bad. The CDS system, if it actually works, will get me out to around 1000 with its 38 moa of elevation. That may be the best way to go.
I think you have found an outstanding scope to use in that VX5. I happen to own 5 30mm Leupolds and they are among my very favorite scopes (and I own a good number of other scopes).

Getting the CDS set up properly will give you just what you seem to be looking for and keep in mind that additional turrets can also be purchased should you find a second or third load you like.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Sorry, no such thing.

The rifle you describe sounds pretty specialized for long range & there is a huge difference from a moving hog at 25 yards in poor light (that you want to carry easily) to a P-dog at 800 yards. Why own a rifle you won't be 100 % happy with at either extreme? Fisherman & golfers have more than 1 club or rod/reel, guns are no different. My favorite scope for my needs is the Leup VXlll 1.5 X 5, but I also have Leups in 2x10,4x14,6x20 & a fixed 24x among others & each one is a good choice for a SPECIFIC use. 2x10 is not bad for either end of the spectrum, but BEST????

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
Id be sold on the vx5 if the sig didnt have a ffp (I'll also add Ive never owned a ffp scope, or shot past 200ish yards soooo...). The reviews of the sig look promising, its certainly loaded with features. I was looking at the windplex reticle for the vx5 and the moa2 for the sig. Thoughts and opinions on reticles are certainly welcome and appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Revolver
I can't comment on the Sig products, but have some general feedback for you on the principles of reticles.

So don't know how much of this you already understand; so may be a slight preaching to the choir.

With the CDS, that reticle will be calibrated for a set of standards. If your launch, atmosphere, bullet, etc is different; then it won't be exact. Everyone has a slightly different view on the world, but for the price of the Leupy, they aren't giving you a "Free set of CDS dials", you already paid for them up-front.
Ranging will be about impossible as the relative scale of the ret and target are always changing with magnification.
If you bought a FFP that doesn't exist. Things always square with reality at any mag.
If you like that mag range, look REALLY hard at the Weaver Tactical 3-15(model #800363) Has more adjustment than the leupy, will be MUCH MUCH more durable if you are actually dialing, and is a matching turret/reticle FFP scope for notably less money.

When you change any combo, or your chambering, simply re-zero, quick thumb screw adjustment and zero your turrets and done.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I've not done this (or know of anyone that has), but it seems do-able to have multiple scopes mounted in QD rings for the same rifle. Could be made to be load dependent with good equipment.

How about; open sights for close pigs, 4 - 12X for varmints, 6 - (whatever)X for target stuff?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Darkker, I actually looked into the Weaver tactical based on your recommendations on some other threads I was searching but I can't get that one cheap. The Leupold VX5s would actually be about 200 dollars cheaper for me, SIG Tango 6 is about the same, if I were going to spend that much I would likely just buy a nightforce sfv and call it good. I can get zeiss terras, the weaver classics, sightrons, a few other things quite cheap the loopys were toward the top of the food chain for what I would actually be spending and could afford. I realize the cds is pretty specialized but more than anything it was "getting me in the ball park" that I was looking for out of that and at 30 bucks a turret I figured two extra would have me pretty well set.

Nacho, ehhh..... I wouldn't call it a long range rifle but JBelk would be able to answer you better than I ever could as far as that is concerned. 800 is the farthest range I have access to and its about 1.5 hours from my house, that's why I maxed the realistic range at 800. The range I have easy access to 10 minutes from work is 425 so more intermediate range. The 6mm-222 will ballistically fall a little short of a 6mm ppc if thats any kind of frame of reference? 100-400 will likely be the ranges I shoot at the most. Pigs may be as close as 50 but they're pretty shy around here usually. Coyotes maybe out to 500 but I doubt that far, as far as P-Dogs go, that's at least a 10 hour car ride and it certainly gets made but it will be 1x a year tops. So thats why own a scope that doesn't really work the extreme end of the yardage spectrum, I'll hardly ever be there. If 10x is suitable for coyote at 500 Im gravy, If 10 is good enough for me to see a 24 inch gong at 800 and try to hit it, boom gravy again. I use a 2x for squirrel pretty regularly so Im more than confident the 2x will be fine for pigs so that spectrum is covered with a 2-10.

Tnhunter, Jbelk, Montyf, I think the vx5 is looking like the way to go, I was wondering if I needed to go the 3-15 route instead but if y'all are all working 10x successfully on smaller targets at extended ranges Im sure a 10x will be just fine. I agree with you on the aesthetics part Jack, I hate when a scope stands up too tall and wont sit just a hair over my barrel with barely a gap between them. I dont mind the look of the euro scopes though, seems like the euros are the only ones I can seem to find objectives in the 30mm ranges that have decent magnification.

·
Premium Member
15,345 Posts
Comparisons--

My all time light varmint scopes for the K-Hornet is the long gone but fondly remembered 8x36AO Leupold. I have two of them, both with fine, tapered cross-hairs.
This one is mounted in Warne QD rings. Notice I had to cut the bolt handle to get it that low.

The 4-12X is in CZ rings and the bolt handle clears.

The Sako Riihimaki Fireball has a 4-12X in Bueler low rings.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the way you have that Sako set up Jack! The 4-12 on the cz sits a little tall for me to be perfectly happy with the aesthetics but it doesn't look nearly as funky as my hornet does at the moment with a 2-7x33 in the CZ rings. I'm going to try the Warne mediums again for this rifle. I ordered them for the hornet and got sent a pair of 550 rings instead, Brownells sent me a return label but I haven't made my way to UPS yet to return them. Im going to try with Midway this time and see how it goes. I don't think Midway has ever messed up an order, I've had 2 from Brownells and ordered maybe 1/10th as much from them as from Midway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My one and only scope is a Leupold (low variable power VX-2). If my experience is typical, I'd say anything in a Leupold within the power settings that you desire will likely not disappoint.

·
Premium Member
15,345 Posts
Revolver--
You're right about the 4-12 on the CZ. My intention has been to buy a set of Talley blanks and mill the rings to exactly the right height, but I'd need to make another bolt handle to get it to work right..

Three Sako Riihimakis with three variations of Bueler mounts but all low rings.
Top is the Fireball with a matte finish 4-12X
Center 6mm Cheapshot with a matte 6-18X
Bottom 222 Remington with a shiny 4-12X

The Bueler bases are tapered dovetails that are tapped into place using a little J-B Weld as 'lube'.

Attachments

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
Darkker, I actually looked into the Weaver tactical based on your recommendations on some other threads I was searching but I can't get that one cheap. The Leupold VX5s would actually be about 200 dollars cheaper for me, SIG Tango 6 is about the same, if I were going to spend that much I would likely just buy a nightforce sfv and call it good.

I think I'm confused.
The first place I looked, Leupy is about $900; and the Weaver is on sale for $600.
Either way they are much cheaper than anything with the Nighforce name.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-su...llum-enhanced-mil-dot-reticle-emdr-matte.html

IF interested in it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Darker

I can get a few things near cost (leupold, sig, sightron, redfield, weaver, zeiss) but the options are usually limited. Im presently looking at the Sig Tango 4 4-16x44 and the Leupold VX 5HD 3-15x44.
I can get a few things a dealer pricing so even at 600 the vx5 2-10 would be cheaper than the weaver. I dont at all mind looking more at the weaver though. Im trying to figure out if I can get a Nightforce because it would probably be about the same price as the lupy for a 3-10 shv. My only real turn off on the weaver is the 50mm objective, thats going to be MASSIVE on that little 527. What I would really love is a NXS 2.5-10x32 but those are discontinued as far as I can tell and unless I could get it for dealer pricing it would be way way way outside my price range.

·
Registered
774 Posts
https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx-6-rifle-scope-3-18x50mm-30mm-sf-cds-tmoa-reticle-matte.html

3x for the shorter distances. You can keep both eyes open at this power with little concern about parallax for those 50 yard hogs. Too bad it doesn't have the illuminated reticle, but i believe its an option.18x for the target shooting at longer distances. The moa reticle will only be accurate at full power,,, at those longer ranges where you will be more inclined to use it.

Just my 2 cents and my opinion....

Edited to add - anything stronger magnification in the larger calibers makes me a little nervous without a brake, because eye relief continues to drop as magnification goes up and I start to tense up....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts