Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to say it,,,but its not looking good for Marlin.
I have asked the question on there Facebook site and they keep deleting my post,,,,wont even give me an answer of any kind.

What do you think? I think they will be gone before the end of next year.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would say no. But it is sad to see a great name put out krap after the private equity company take-over and move to new factory. As I understand it, Marlin lever actions next year.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
At this point, I would say the Marlin name is too valuable for it to die, but if they don't start turning out a good product again (the way FN is doing with the M70) then it won't matter because nobody will buy their guns. I would like to buy a 338MX, but with all the bad stuff I'm hearing right now, I'm reluctant to do so.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
It depends what you prefer

I rarely buy new firearms. They are a lot of excellent used Marlins in the racks of the gun shops that I visit. The prices are better and so is the quality. So it depends what you prefer. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think Marlin will be back next year.They have to get there act together as they left the good help behind in Conn when they moved and are presently just making garbage.I doubt they will make classic cal offerings anymore(like 218 bee,44-40 etc)so they likely wont have anything i'm interested in.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,321 Posts
I think I'm confused, are you talking about the news from a year ago?
Cerberus owns them(remington, H&R, etc) and is selling the X7 guns as fast as they can make them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm. Just heard of a Marlin 60 on a gunsmiths wall for $60. Think maybe.....

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I think I'm confused, are you talking about the news from a year ago?
Cerberus owns them(remington, H&R, etc) and is selling the X7 guns as fast as they can make them.
I think what they're talking about is all the problems that Remington has had with the manufacture of the Marlin lever rifles and the fact that production was ceased, completely, on the lever side, sometime back in September.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,580 Posts
All Remington haters want to blame Remington for Marlin's "new" ownership and problems when in fact Remington isn't even owned by anybody named Remington anymore.

Sad but true even for you Remington haters.

It's like me saying I'll never own a Winchester. Now that FN has bought them I may have to check one out.

Touche'

RJ

·
Registered
488 Posts
All Remington haters want to blame Remington for Marlin's "new" ownership and problems when in fact Remington isn't even owned by anybody named Remington anymore.

Sad but true even for you Remington haters.

It's like me saying I'll never own a Winchester. Now that FN has bought them I may have to check one out.

Touche'

RJ
WOW - could you please explain this rambling post? They are both owned by the same parent company. Quality and customer service has declined for both brands due to this. I could care less if Remington's 4th great grandson works there or not.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
According to Brian Peirce in the January issue of "RIFLE" they are not even slowing down much less ceasing production, we'll see?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered a new Marlin 1894 .44mag about a week ago. Should be in next Tuesday. I will let you know how it is.

Just looking for alternatives in case it is not a good one.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Scooter I've heard alot of bad about the new post-2009 Marlins, but I haven;t handled any at the shops. Then again, there've been guys praising their new "Remlins". So I think probably Marlin, after moving to and losing their experienced gunsmiths, are just working the kinks out.

My 1979 1894 in 44mag is a dream to shoot. I hope you get a good one coming off the press.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
Can you tell by the SN and model if it is a pre-09 model Marlin? I would like to know in case I come across a used one. My 336 30-30 is about 20 years old and it is incredibly accurate and a great gun. One of my favorites.

It would be a real shame if something happens to these fine rifles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts