Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SPC "Doc" RJ Jr is headed to Haiti. Well along with about 9,999 other members of our military.

Some of the 82nd Airborne's 2nd Battalion has already headed down there. "Doc' will be headed down on Monday. He's not sure what to expect when they get there but he's glad for the opportunity to be part of the relief effort.

We discussed some of the things he will see and most of them are not going to be pretty. Like nothing he's ever seen before and I hope he never sees again.

Like a true paratrooper he wishes they could jump in but he says he'll settle for jumping off the ramp of the plane.

RJ

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
I'm sure he will do well RJ. You schooled him well in the basics that count, before he ever got to school.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
He'll be a busy fellow from what I've seen on the tube. Its the kind of mission I would have liked to been on.

Somebody suggested they let the 82nd jump in but the Generals squelched it. I've heard a drop zone can be a dangerous place! Dick Winters wrote that the Holland jump in 44 was crazy because of the concentration and all the junk falling!

I'm really proud of all our men and women in uniform who are going down to Haiti to help out. Very proud indeed!

·
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Doc" just called and they are leaving "shortly" He will try to take his cell phone, but he's thinking it will get "confiscated" before they get on the plane. He's going to try to call just before the leave.

He's taking plenty of Vicks and baby wipes. Last night when he called I could hear "Hawk" in the background going through their checklist. Sounds like they are prepared.

Shoulda told them to take some rubbing alcohol along too, sounds like it's in short supply right now.

RJ

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
We will be praying for him. Desperate situations like that can be a dangerous place.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My prayers are with him. All that we are in this country is due to people like him. May God be with him and guide him.

Don

·
Registered
69 Posts
hope he has a save return home!! it's going to be tough down there !! a lot of undesirable that pray on folks and their hands will be tied by the MAN. keep us updated

·
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mrs. RJ got a text from him this morning "I'm in Haiti. I'm fine" She didn't text him back because he was using someone else's phone.

Maybe he will send us a letter so's we can write to him. :D I might have to try and get in touch with Ft. Bragg and see what his address is.

RJ

·
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not yet. I think the military is pretty tight lipped on what they are doing. We keep watching the news hoping we see him. :D

No news is good news I guess.

RJ

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hope he is doing well. Some friends just returned from Haiti on medical mission. Many still needing surgery and life saving treatment. great shortage of blood. They made a temporary hospital out of a military container. Devastation is terrible, many medical needs. "Doc" will be busy. One friend is a vet and he said what he saw in combat does not compare to what happened to Haiti.
Will keep Doc in our prayers.

·
Banned
425 Posts
My prayers are with him. All that we are in this country is due to people like him. May God be with him and guide him.
Amen our thoughts and prayers are with you!

·
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's "Doc" in Haiti.

He said the welcome by the Haitian people was unbelievable. even though our boys are packin' and in combat gear it doesn't seem to bother them because they know the US military is there to help in any way they can. Everyone he's been in contact with has been so grateful for any help and the cooperation and patience of the Hatians is just incredible. He was a vit nervous about not wearing his kevlar, but that soon faded.

I'm really proud of him.

RJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts