Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350 Legend, well almost its on the way. I ordered the dies, IMR4227, Hornady 165gr bullets. While searching
reloading data, no info for that bullet, but there is data for 350 Legend 170gr. can I use the same starting load?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I would but back when I was in your position and wanted confirmation I learnt to ring the powder makers for advise.I use ADI powders , any time I feel like I need advise I ring them.
I have had some very good learning conversations through doing so.
Not having confidence when you reload is unpleasant , ringing the powder manufactures changes that in my experience.
Cheers.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,369 Posts
Assuming like-for-like construction, such as both jacketed flat base, or both BTHP's. Then yes, starting loads will be fine. Just don't mix construction, like regular Cup&Core, Vs. All copper barnes.

Cheers

Reactions: JBelk

·
Super Moderator
13,599 Posts
Assuming the same construction, as Darkker noted, a general rule of thumb is that loads intended for a heavier bullet weight will produce lower pressure with a lighter bullet. The only potential exception is if, for some reason, you seat the lighter bullet's base deeper into the case than the heavier one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would but back when I was in your position and wanted confirmation I learnt to ring the powder makers for advise.I use ADI powders , any time I feel like I need advise I ring them.
I have had some very good learning conversations through doing so.
Not having confidence when you reload is unpleasant , ringing the powder manufactures changes that in my experience.
Cheers.
Thank you, I have sent the question to IMR still waiting on answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 350 Legend, well almost its on the way. I ordered the dies, IMR4227, Hornady 165gr bullets. While searching
reloading data, no info for that bullet, but there is data for 350 Legend 170gr. can I use the same starting load?
Hornady has released reload data on their website for both projectiles (170gr sp and 165 ftx) they both use the same data.

{Edit: please read the board policy on posting copyrighted materials}

Also, Lee has released data now as well along with their 350 legend dies

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,886 Posts
Looks like you've answered your own question. Welcome to the board. Rules are simple - be nice and join in.

·
Super Moderator
13,599 Posts
It's common for Hornady and Sierra and other bullet makers to lump close weights together to save space and extra listing and editing. Just be aware their top loads will be ones that are safe with the bullet in the bunch that makes the most pressure in their gun. Others in the group may actually be OK with slightly warmer loads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts