Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone hunted with the 45acp if so what do you hunt and what bullet and load?
thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,313 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have a load for my Ruger P90 that are intented for use on hogs.

255gr. LSWC & 5.0 gr. of WW231 should be a good starting point. This is quite a bit less than Speer recommends for their 260gr. JHP for the 45 ACP, but different bullet designs for SWCs will take up different amounts of room in the case. So work up carefully.

I get just under 900 fps from my gun. OAL is the longest that will feed, the shoulder of the bullet just contacts the rifling. Haven't had a chance to use it on game, unfortunately, but should be pretty good. It basically duplicates the black-powder loading in the .45Colt.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
You guys read my mind! I have the Smith 625 I'm setting up to hunt with. I put a 2.5-7x Simmons scope in Leupold mounts and rings. Haven't sighted or shot it yet with the scope, but I'll take the advice on the loads!

Chris~;)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
In years past I shot a lot of pins with several gun/cartridge combinations. In the .45 ACP the 250-260 grain LSWC worked well. I used them a lot in a Colt Combat Commander and a S&W M625. As Mike indicated, loaded to full charges they largely duplicate the original .45 LC load with a better bullet shape. I would think they should do well for deer, javelina, and such out to 25 yards or so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My orginal handgun purchase was a P90. I intended to use it for hunting. I became disenchanted with the "hunting range" accuracy and began looking for better loads. I came to the conclusion that the 45 acp is indeed sufficient for close range work on human sized animals but there are so many calibers and loads available that will do a better job. I sold mine and turned it into a .41 Blackhawk.
My 2¢

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've gone the other way with my Colt 1911......I load the 185 grain HP as fast as I can (within safety limits) and jump shoot ground hogs....walk through the meadow until one 'jumps up' and runs for his hole..... running shots inside 10 yards.

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yes I would if given another opportunity. I have a 1911 set up for heavy loads. (230gr Speer Gold Dots @950-1000fps). Walked up on a beded down 10pt whitetail when out squirrel hunting with my youngest son. Had transitioned the 22 rifle to the left hand and drew the 1911 in a heartbeat with the right (my CCW gun). Deer was only 12yards away then remembered although it was already gun season 6 miles away and the patch of land I was on didn't open for gun til next week! Didn't pull the trigger and vowed to try and get him next week. Another hunter got him 100yards from my oldest son stand the following week.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I had to dispach a Jackrabbit someone had wounded an left for dead while I was out target practicing last weekend. .45 ACP 185 JHP Serria at 10'. Didn't real look him over but looked like someone chewed hin up with a 22/shotgun. and after I hit him with JHP I wasn't going to waste my time cleaning him. -What a waste:( ! I hate people who don't make clean kills and waste game!

Like MikeG I'm work with a 255gr SWC load with W231/Bullseye. Should make an expeedient coyote or such load.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I worked up several loads using Cast Perf. 265gr. WFN. The most consistent and accurate so far has been 12.5gr. AA9, Starline 45 Super brass, CCI LPP, oal 1.235. This load averages 1005fps with an ES of 3 out of my 5" Springfield. 24 lb. recoil spring.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a SA 1911 Long Slide in .45 Super. It shoots 230gr bullets at 1200fps and I am hoping to down a deer with it this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts