Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built one on a blueprinted 110 Savage action,used a Shelin 28" match grade tube with a 10 twist. This thing shoots one ragged hole groups @ 100yds. Boyds stock carefully massaged and bedded. Using the the GS Custom 85gr HV bore rider bullets getting upper 42's for velicity and no pressure signs. Have taken 4 deer with it so far the farthest so far, was 337yds, the closest about 45yds. All DRT and the damage is something else. Have to shoot quarting away shots if I want the shoulders. This thing is like an extension of though out to 400, my 8yo grand daughter can hit a paper plate taped to the gong at 440yds. The Witt Machine clamp on break makes this 9lb beast so pleasant to shoot. With the speed and damage it does, I think I want to go take a Buffalo with it somewhere this winter. :cool:

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,585 Posts
I think it would make a dandy varmint rifle. Might not last very last very long tho.

RJ

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Seeing that he is using a mono bullet, it is probably exiting the deer he shot along with the two standing behind it.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Seeing that he is using a mono bullet, it is probably exiting the deer he shot along with the two standing behind it.
I didn't know the Grand Slam was a monolithic bullet. The ones I'm familiar with were cup and core. Those could be pretty brutal on recoverable meat.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
I think "GS Custom" is a brand of monolithic bullets, not to be confused with the Speer "Grand Slam." Anyway that is my guess.

Thinking the 'splat' factor must be impressive, at those velocities..... best not hit anything you plan on eating :eek:

Reactions: kdub

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, It is a bullet maker Gerard Shultz. The bbl WILL last longer shooting these bullets. If you go to his site and read the article on the 22x64 he did,he has a lot of rounds down that rifle with no effect on accuracy. His bullets are pricey and takes a while to get them. You can tap one of his bullets down the bbl with a wooden dowel with very little resistance, all I shoot are his bore riders in all my stuff from my 224's to my 338's would use his 270gr 458's but my twist isn't right in my Buffalo Classic. Never recovered a bullet from a deer, even a huge doe I shot on the dairy farm near me at just over 730yds. :cool:
The 730ish doe was with the 7stw 116gr HV bullet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think "GS Custom" is a brand of monolithic bullets, not to be confused with the Speer "Grand Slam." Anyway that is my guess.

Thinking the 'splat' factor must be impressive, at those velocities..... best not hit anything you plan on eating :eek:
Believe it or not, his bullets do less damage as well. As for splat factor I took a doe last week with the 25 at 150ish, shot her right where the neck joins the shoulders, no spine left just the hide holding it on, I was in awe as to it's performance. I want to go shoot a Buffalo with it next year. :eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you are right on there. Got two in one shot 2 yrs ago with the 7stw and his 116gr HV bullet. Both DRT.;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it would make a dandy varmint rifle. Might not last very last very long tho.

RJ
I am planning on a 6mm MK IV build for a varmint rifle. With his 68gr HV it should approach 4500fps.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
That rifle will be a real "Drama Queen". I did a semi bull Shilen Target Rifle take off barrel, for my test bed 6mm x 300 RCM, which turned out to be very close to Rocky Gibb's 240 Rocket. There's also the slightly smaller 6mm x 350 Rem. Mag. wildcat, or a 24 cal. Ackley Imp. 06" Powder bridging, and very short barrel life seems to be the order of the day, with these little "bombs". Remember, with the H&H length cases, you pay for that length twice, in any bolt action rifle.
First, comes the length of the magazine in the receiver, and secondly your bolt has to come back far enough to eject a loaded round. The 6 x 350 Rem. Mag.'s cases are only 55 mm long. My shorty wildcats mic. out to 54mm. from the original 300 RCM's 53mm lengths. Both the Gibbs and earlier Ackleys are the old 06's 63mm lengths. The later Ackleys are made from the slightly longer 280 Rem. parent case, but they are nowhere near the length of the 7mm STW parent cases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts