Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently fixed up my (inherited) chicken coop and would like to begin carrying my 22 Walther Gold Cup or my High Standard Model B target with some rat shot. I know I had some in my stores at one point, but probably gave them away ages ago. My Walther has shown the ability to shoot and eject just about anything I have run through it, but not sure about my Hi-Standard. Anyway, I digress.

Midway says the Winchester round has been discontinued and I've been unable to locate any of the old CCI stuff.

Anyone know...or if it's still made anyplace I can find it.

Thanks.

Edited: I will relocate any snakes I can...But I know that with my multiple size chicken wire, hardware cloth...etc., I will have some get tangled or just won't be shooed away or caught. I had a "Large" Rat Snake several years ago that got tangled in a pet carrier that I had outside that I had to euthanize, so sometimes it is unavoidable.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Hope so...am going to have to do a search...with the ammo shortage, doubt that .22RF shot loads are high on their list for production (wouldn’t use crank out/ship/sell the highest selling ammo first?)

Not that I have that many snakes to shoot….but the crimped versions does work for me within 10-12 feet. If they weren’t that close, I shouldn’t have to shoot them.

About 2006, noticed that a big-store clerk had bricks of federal 40gr. RNL and Federal .22LR shot miss-priced as the same thing. Three bricks...2 went to my brother in law for his smooth bore Remington...still working on the 3rd brick 16 years later.

You might be in a “scrounge situation”….likely the little shops (if there are any in your locations) will have a dusty box of two.

(Side light: Long ago, ran into a local shop that had a snit load of .22 Longs. Was an ignorant mistake order, he needed to get rid of them at dealer cost. Might have been the only guy tin can shooting with .22longs for the next 5 years, but even at “all you got”, the price was just too good to pass.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered some before the Covid madness struck...online from ?? Federal, iirc. It's downstairs in the reloading room, and I also picked up a package of CCI 38/357 shot about the same time. It is made, but hard to find. Usually, I make my own. In our state, it is illegal to shoot a Rattlesnake unless he is about to fang somebody. Seeing as how the strike radius of a snake is said to be ~2/3 of its body length, you would almost have to step on the critter to be considered "legal". In my own experience, the .22 shot rounds' effective range might not be much more than 6 feet, a larger bore, more...maybe 8-10 feet, and if you should shoot at a hard surface...in my case it was an old ceramic bowl, wear shooting glasses, because ricochets are a certainty. Fortunately, I was wearing glasses, but the pieces of shot that stuck in my cheek and forehead brought the lesson home!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Midway says the Winchester round has been discontinued and I've been unable to locate any of the old CCI stuff.

Anyone know...or if it's still made anyplace I can find it.
According to CCI's website, they still make shotshells in .22LR. They use a 31 grain capsule filled with #12 shot. Seems I've seen some locally, but can't remember. I use shotshells in .45 Colt myself, but I'm sure is more than you want for your needs. I will post if I see some around here.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
CCI snake shot are on the shelves in Idaho. I bought a box two weeks ago. Snakes untie themselves with one splash of hot water or blast from a hose. (My mom's bird feeder invasion cure.)
I consider 6 feet as long range for my 2" .22 revolver, but aim careful. The pattern is about 8 inches in diameter.

You need a game cam to tell you what the threat is. Owls, feral cats, '***** and skunks are high on any night-time predator list.
I've seen coyotes on top of a 8 1/2 shipping container to get turkey bones and jump from a 12 foot deep pit with food containers in their mouths. Chicken wire keeps chickens in.... ;)
This link is the ultimate solution (except for owls) to keep anything in or out. There's no organism immune to electric shock and none enjoy it.
I have a solar charger at a remote, historic cabin to keep range cows out. I ran a wire and a tape. The tape is great because any animal zapped by it will avoid it like the plague even if its not charged. (That's probably time-limited, though).
With a switch connected to the gate latch to auto disconnect the power, you might even avoid 'testing' it out yourself! :cool:

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I really thought I had a partial box of CCI, but an extensive search turned up NADA.

Edited: We have bajillion owls, but these girls are put up at night. I kept them in the coop for 2 1/2 weeks so they know where home is and have been really good at coming in with some treats (Scratch).

A ****/skunk got one through the chain-link after a few weeks...probably my fault as I may have placed a water station too close. Anyway...am working on buttoning up those areas.

I can't afford small hardware cloth to keep out all critters. If I lose an egg or two from a snake, so be it, but I wouldn't mind having a small snake load (at close pistol range...6-10 feet) if needed.

I know the local Academy and Bass-Pro/Cabela's doesn't have any.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,395 Posts
CCI makes them, and Opticsandammo in Houston has had them in-stock. I meant to post this a few days ago Joel, so they may not still be in-stock... Sorry, really busy at work this time of year.

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CCI makes them, and Opticsandammo in Houston has had them in-stock. I meant to post this a few days ago Joel, so they may not still be in-stock... Sorry, really busy at work this time of year.
Thanks. They are on backorder. I'm still looking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts