Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear Attacks Sub
During the ICEX 2003 naval exercises near the North Pole, the American submarine Connecticut (SSN 22) poked it's sail and rudder through the ice. When an officer looked around outside via the periscope, he noted that his sub was being stalked by a hostile polar bear. The periscope cam was turned on, and these photos of a polar bear chewing on the subs rear rudder resulted. The damage was said to be minor. The SSN 22 is a Seawolf class boat, one of the navy's newest submarines. It wasn't designed as a polar bear snack, but that's how life is sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's probably what Peter Jennings would report: Canadian polar bear snuggles with US submarine and is shot and killed.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
AJ,
I wasn't meaning to start anything, just trying to rile Montieth. I do wish Peter Jennings would try to snuggle ANY Polar Bear though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please, set Mr. Jennings up with the bear today! He is due in town, Sacramento, tomorrow to host a community forum on the state's deficit. No republicans allowed.:confused:

Perhaps the bear in the picture was friendly, he might have been delivering Coke to the crew!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
The sub probably was in Canada. Bears usually don't go all the way to the Pole and it probably wandered off the coast of Ellesmere Island or Greenland. The closest I've been to a wild polar bear is 40 miles, and that was close enough. One poor guy got too close and got his head slapped off. That was on the ice north of Inuvik in 1972.

Bye
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts