Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this site from a friend today. This is a listing showing the businesses who automatically contribute to and support Handgun Control Inc. I haven't had a chance to verify the information, so take it for what it's worth. I was surprised to see a few of the companies listed here.

http://www.progressivefunds.com/hci/index.html

Again, I don't know the legitimacy of the site.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Some look like a stretch. I'd like to know the quantities and frequency, since the names aren't from the holding companies. Few large companies, too. Nothing from 'corporate America."

·
Registered
70 Posts
It IS a long stretch. And they don't all, if any, actively support HCI. However, HCI is correct in listing those companies in their "HCI Shopping Mall". Let me explain...

If you look at the actual links listed on that page they look something like this:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=igUKI8kL62k&offerid=11836.5&type=3&subid=0

Now take notice of the offerid= part of the URL. I can go there, as just anyone, and get an account setup where I can reffer people to that online store, and when they buy something I get a percentage or a cut of some sort. HCI makes themselves look good, but in reality, their corporate support is much less than they make it out to be. So feel free to buy from those stores, just don't use HCI's link to do it ;)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the technical information, Alex. One question though, doesn't HCI need approval from those companies before they can list them? Even if, say, Borders books does not actively contribute to HCI, if they do allow or support their company listing on this site, they are in essence, contributing to HCI, if you use that link. I had much rather do business with another bookstore if that is the case.

Is there something I'm missing or not understanding? If these links are not done with knowledge with the business listed, shouldn't that be considered some form of piracy?

·
Banned
556 Posts
Yes, they do need permission. I think it's called brand dilution and it is a trademark infringement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's all automated... these companies increase revenue and traffic to their site by encouraging anyone to sign up as a refferrer. No one needs permission to link to them, they don't care. As the Shooters Forum we could signup for the same thing to raise funds at the same time HCI is collecting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts