Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who know what the Doolittle Toyko Raid was....
My father, Lt. Col. H.C. McCool, was the navigator on plane four, is dying of cancer. How long he has is unknown but time is short.
Could I ask a favor of those who care to, please write a short note to him at [email protected] expressing your sentiments for the Doolittle Raiders efforts. I'm sure he'll be thrilled.
Jim McCool

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,330 Posts
Jim,

Did he previously post here as Arkypete (signed notes as Jim)?

If so, was wondering why we hadn't heard from him lately.

Not too many of the WWII crowd left. Just buried my Grandfather Friday.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am arkypete

I had too much difficulty trying to sign up again as arkypete so I used another name.
Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,330 Posts
Jim,

My grandad had the Time-Life series on WWII. I read these as a kid and still am amazed at the courage and heroism displayed by your dad and so many other American soldiers/sailors/marines/pilots/etc. Just can't imagine the kids of today hitting the beaches of Normandy, Iwo Jima, etc.

There is an incredible museum in Fredricksburg, TX, which focuses on the Pacific theatre of WWII. I think that they have a B-25 bomber inside the building. They also have one of the jap mini-subs that attacked Pearl Harbor. Dolittle's raid is mentioned prominently in one of the displays.

The entire country and entire world owe their thanks to your dad and men like him.

·
Banned
554 Posts
To a Doolittle Raider

Dear Col. McCool,

I want to express my gratitude to you for your efforts during World War II, which I have read about often. I am truly amazed at what you accomplished with such limited equipment and with such low probability for your own survival. You obviously knew of the enormous risks involved and volunteered when the country needed you to succeed so badly. And you did. Sir, we are grateful to you not so much for your survival, but for your success!

The Doolittle Raid has been chronicled in American History as one of the key military actions of World War ll and millions know of your mission as an extraordinary example of heroic action, self-sacrifice and dedication to our country and freedom. In that sense Colonel you are, and will remain, immortal to all of us.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Jim:
A lot of old timers from around here, most of them gone now, served our countries better than we can imagine, as your father did. The man who taught me to shoot was on Vimy Ridge. How soon we forget.

Take Care
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Agreed Jack. Our collective memory can be measured in minutes, not years or decades. My degree is in American History and the abject ignorance of same among the citizenry is astounding.

The efforts of the Doolittle Raiders, and Col. Doolittle in particular, were so poorly portrayed in the recent movie Pearl Harbor that one has to wonder if the screenwriter was purposely writing fiction. In a time so dark in our nation's history that I can't begin to comprehend, these few men embarked on a mission that was surely known to be "one way." The fact that so many survived the war is testament to their strength. In an era when the word has almost become meaningless due to the ease with which it is used, each one of the Doolittle Raiders truly is an American hero.

God bless them all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts