Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes 'em?

I'm aware of various models of S&W's (17, 18, 63, 317, 617) and a used one of those would be my first choice.

A Dan Wesson would work.

I'm aware of the various Taurus models but not really interested. Same for H&R, tho a particularly nice example (with a trigger pull not measured in metric tons...) might do.

Does/did Ruger ever make a double action .22?

What Colt models are there (tho they're probably out of my price range too)

Anybody else?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Ruger made the SP-101 in 22lr and while a bit heavy, they are a lot of fun.

The Model 18 S&W is a good gun for all around use.

Any of the Kit Guns are my preferred 22 handgun.

We have an S&W 317 Airlight – the model with good sights not that plastic stuff – it is a fine revolver but a bit light for good off-hand shooting.

·
Banned
421 Posts
A S&W model 17 or 18 would really be your best bet. Dan Wesson is also good, but getting harder to find. The Colt Diamondback is very expensive, and the Ruger SP101 is too heavy IMO, and also hard to find. Be patient, a S&W will show up eventually. It will be worth the wait!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A S&W model 17 or 18 would really be your best bet. Dan Wesson is also good, but getting harder to find. The Colt Diamondback is very expensive, and the Ruger SP101 is too heavy IMO, and also hard to find. Be patient, a S&W will show up eventually. It will be worth the wait!
I hear ya. I had an early K-22 and traded it off. One of a half-dozen guns I kick myself for ever parting with...

·
Banned
107 Posts
I've had and H&R Sportsman Model 999 for many years. It has been a very dependable and accurate revolver.:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
We have an S&W 317 Airlight – the model with good sights not that plastic stuff – it is a fine revolver but a bit light for good off-hand shooting.
I bought one of those for my wife, she adores that revolver. It came with Crimson Trace grips and the laser is what she liked most about it at first, but later the fact that it is easy to shoot and carry is what endeared her most. Only 11 oz empty, at first I couldn't believe it was real. Great gun.

Terry

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
It is a great little gun, just a bit light for best offhand work.
The blue box it comes in is heavier than the handgun. It is fun to hand this revolver to someone who is not expecting it.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Charter Arms still makes the Pathfinder kit gun.

CD

·
Registered
385 Posts
If money is not a concern the Smith 17 or 617 are top drawer, though physically a large handgun. If on a budget the Taurus M94 is a very good choice in DA .22 revolver. I have a 4" model I've been very pleased with and have killed more snakes and feral cats than I can count, even a rabid ****.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If your taste and pocketbook are up to it, there have been some excellent suggestions made. If, like me, your eyes tend to be bigger than your belly (or your wallet), don't ignore the many, many good rimfire revolvers made in the past and available today at very attractive prices in the used market. For instance, I have a Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe bought in 1969, my first new revolver. At least 100,000 rounds have gone through it in the meantime, and other than a bit of finish wear here and there it is as good a gun as it was Day 1 -- which is plenty good. H&R and Iver Johnson are two more makers of utilitarian but very high-quality rimfires and small centerfires (mostly .32 Long and .38 S&W). They don't LOOK particularly fine, but looks can surely fool you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SCORE!

Hadda be in town today, stopped at two places on the way up looking for a suitable revolver...Nada. No Smiths at all, and one H&R that was priced at about double what I thought it was worth.

On the way back, just on a whim, I stopped at a gunshop that is famous for being unduly proud of its stock. Nice little S&W 17-3, marked at $595, a little rough cosmetically but very sound otherwise and a GORGEOUS trigger. Before I even start haggling, the guy says "Without a trade in, that's about a $500 gun".

Purdy near bit my tongue off saying "SOLD!" while spraining my arm going for my wallet.

Based on what I've seen for prices and availability around here, I'da paid the $595 if I'da had to.

·
Banned
421 Posts
You're right, $500 is a very good price for any K-22, unless it looks real bad. Can you post a couple pictures? I would love to see it. If the rough spots you mention are rust can remove it with a little Hoppe's #9 and a chore girl or similar brass wool. You can use 0000 steel wool if you're really careful, but it will remove bluing if you're not careful. No danger of that with brass wool.
Congratulations on a fine revolver!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Overall, the gun looks pretty fair. As you can see, there is quite a bit of bluing damage on the underside of the barrel, forward of the cylinder latch. No rust, and I wouldn't think it was holster wear in that location. More like the gun had been supported over something hard like concrete or metal while shooting.

Only other thing is the usual bit of cylinder scoring and the stocks are very dried out.

Attachments

·
Banned
421 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. That barrel looks like freckling under the bluing from what I can see, but it's hard to tell for sure. Removal of that may remove the bluing too. Under the barrel like that would be a good spot for a little Oxpho-Blue though. I learned about it from Bob Faucett, rest his soul. And that's not the only thing I learned from Bob. Anyway, it's by far the best cold blue I've ever used.
Have fun with your new K-22. You did good! Let us hear how she shoots.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I've had a few .22's none of which I'd consider 'kit' sized...

Started with a Taurus model 96, which was a heavy barrelled copy of a Smith 17. Darned accurate, but heavy and a BIG gun.
I had a Smith 18, which even for a K frame was a good 'kit sized' gun. i gave that one to my father.
Only one I still have is a 6" Smith 17... a keeper, but not 'kit' sized either.

I know you are speaking of double ation revolvers, but have you looked at the Single siz or bearcat??? S/A....
Or any of the small autos?

I was just given a gift of the new Sig Mosquito. It's a really neat gun, and shoots well. It's a small version of a Sig 228/226 style weapon, it's TDA, and has a safety AND decocker. Shoots like a dream, although the DA pull is looooooooooong and a bit stiff. Follow up shots are crisp and predictable.

Good luck with your 'new 17!!!'

Enjoy, as once you start shooting it, it's hard to stop!
:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 63 and a couple of 617s, but I always wanted a 17. I found one a couple of years ago, and it is a beauty. Shoots great, terrific trigger. You did very well!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know you are speaking of double ation revolvers, but have you looked at the Single siz or bearcat??? S/A....
Or any of the small autos?

Enjoy, as once you start shooting it, it's hard to stop!
:D
I have a Single Six and a Mark II as well as a Colt Ace, so yeah, I've pretty well tried all the usual .22 rimfire formats :D

Just got back from the gravel pit, put about 100 rounds through it. The trigger is 10 out of 10, smooth as silk, breaks like glass. Accuracy is good, sights were about 3" right at 25' but I find that a lot due to my eyes.

Only things I found was that the double action pull was quite gritty and the cylinder release was very stiff.

I've never had a revolver apart, but with some trepidation, I pulled the side plate and had a look. ICKY-POO! Umpteen years of dried oil, powder residue and general mung. I found a step-by-step procedure on the 'net, took several closeup pictures and plunged in.

After a thorough cleaning and a light oiling I put it back together. Much to my relief, it still works :p and the trigger, if anything, is a touch better than it was. Double action is now nice and smooth, but the cylinder release is still sticky. It appears to me that the pin on the release isn't depressing the pin on the cylinder quite far enough and it's hanging on the back of the frame a little.

I'll go down to the gunsmithing forum and see if that's a drop-in part. If so, I'll oder one from Numrich and put it in.

Other than that, I'm a happy guy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts