Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on the board shoot them? If so, what calibers?

Vic

· Banned
467 Posts
I shoot a light 500 Nitro, also known as a 50/90.

I shoot a 535 Grain Woodleigh Round Nosed bullet at about 2200 -2300 fps

The gun was a custom build on a Merkel 12 gauge side by side donor gun.

The cut has a 20 inch barrel.

It is my stopper gun. Or if I am walking through places where animals that might bite me are also walking around.

From 0 to 75 yards I can put either barrel into a small target.

Bang. Bang.

· Inactive
7,645 Posts
I don't have one. I did just read an article on EAA's Sabatti double rifle though, in 'Guns' magazine. Sounds interesting. They offer it in a 45-70, and big boomers beyond that, at a decent price ($3,500 for 45-70 plain-jane, up to $6,000 for others).

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's one....perhaps 2 in time. I was just curious. I shoot two. A German double from the 1870's-80's in 43 Mauser. My first double and the one that taught me an encyclopedia of how to load for an obscure caliber....and cost me some sleep, money and probably some hair from pulling it. Second is an E. M. Reilley in 500 BPE from the 1880's.

The German double shoots fair, considering its bore condition, 3-4 inches at 75 yards, and the Reilley shoots exceedingly well when fed the correct diet. It will shoot 2 inches at 50 yards from a standing bench rest. Both great fun and even more fun to hunt with.

Vic

· Registered
409 Posts
I have always wanted a side by side express rifle. Not that I have a need for one but they have always intrigued me. I always look for them in the gun library. They are usually quite a bit out of my price range though.

· Banned
467 Posts
Indeed double rifles are beautiful and they have a mystique that says --- dangerous game.

yes they are great to hunt with as well.

I have two loads for mine. one that I mentioned above that is my stopper round and the other is the ***** cat round. it pushes like a 243. It is so much fun to shoot.

this year i hope to re-setup my loading bench and get to playing with more loading for this double rifle AND correspondingly MORE shooting of it.

The British and high end double rifles in side by side start at about $10,000. That is a bit rich (okay a lot rich) for my pockets right now, but I do drool over them. I think the older doubles, (Merkels for one) are just fantastic looking. The metal is so much better than the metal on newer guns and the wood is so much better too!

The over and under doubles, while nice, do not have the right look as the side by sides. (IMHO)..

My dream double calibers are: 375 H&H, 9.3 x74, 470 Nitro Express, and 500 Nitro Express (Full Nitro)...

All four would be one **** of a collection!!!

· Inactive account
315 Posts
1. 11mm Mauser Top-Lever Hammered Double
2. .500 BPE TLHD
3. 577/500 hammerless
4. 9.3x74R Chapuis (scoped)
5. .58 Kodiak percussion
6. .50 CVA Express w/ extra .54 cal bbls

All are side by sides. All are an absolute blast to shoot & hunt with. The 9.3 is approx 7.5lbs, as is the 11mm. Those two see the most of my shooting....

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, would you offer your opinion on the 58 Kodiak. Is that the one with 2 rear sights, one for each barrel? If so, have you been able to work up a load that would regulate using only one sight? I've always been curious about them but haven't found many, if any, reviews I really trust. That's quite a collection you have sir! And what's your load in the 11mm Mauser. That is the 43 Mauser unless I'm mistaken. Mine is basically a Jones underlever except that the lever is beneath the forearm. Works just as well for me.

zoar, I don't care for the OU doubles at all.....at least in the looks dept. Just isn't right. They are more economical though.

Thanks for posting up guys!

Vic

· Banned
467 Posts
CrazyDave--Can I be in your Will? Hahaha.

I have always wanted a 9.3 x 74R

Yes sharps, the over and under are just not the best approach for a double rifle. I did see one at a gun show once that had such great metal and wood (A Merkel) that I nearly lost my head. and yes chambered in 9.3 x 74R.... ugh!

· Banned
57 Posts
Currently ;
Wm. Evans in 475#2
E.M. Reilly in 6.5x53R
Holland and Holland in 450-400 2 3/8" Nitro for BP
Krieghoff pre-war in 9.3x74R
R. Menagon in 9.3x74R
Almost forgot my un-named guild gun (suhl proofs) 8.15x46R a box lock
The Menagon and the Reilly are hunted regularly.
the Kreighoff and the H&H and are side locks, the Reilly, Menagon and Evans are box locks
They are fun to shoot some are very finicky to hand load for. Even if it's a common caliber getting them to regulate with anything other than the original regulation load can make you talk to yourself ...alot. The 475 #2, as imposing a cartridge as it is, is pleasant to shoot(not from the bench). And it shoots a whole bunch better than I do.
Treat yourself! Everyone should own a DR just once.

· Banned
57 Posts
I shoot a light 500 Nitro, also known as a 50/90.

I shoot a 535 Grain Woodleigh Round Nosed bullet at about 2200 -2300 fps

The gun was a custom build on a Merkel 12 gauge side by side donor gun.

The cut has a 20 inch barrel.

It is my stopper gun. Or if I am walking through places where animals that might bite me are also walking around.

From 0 to 75 yards I can put either barrel into a small target.

Bang. Bang.
I'm curious, was the breech sleeved/mono blocked or barrel inserts? Should make a good action . Who built it? I assume it has a Greener cross bolt most of Merkels I have seen were. Sounds like a fun gun.
25 years ago I had a Ed. Kettner in 10.75x 73 (404 Jeffery) that had what I believe was a Merkel made action. Rifle beat the crap out of me. Way too much drop at the comb. Felt like I went a couple rounds with Tyson after a session at the range.

· Banned
467 Posts
sport---

Jason Simpkins built it. Here is contact info Jason Simpkins [[email protected]]

I am really happy with it. It is sleeved with barrel inserts.

Greener cross bolt. Strong as a vault.

This Merkel conversion has low recoil. It is perfect for me. As stated I worked up a low power load using cast bullets and it punches back like a 243. Even the hot load, dangerous game load with the 535 grain Woodleigh bullets is more of a stern push than a sharp whack. I hate those whacks.

· Banned
57 Posts
Thats a pretty stout load at 2300fps! That exceeds my 475#2 by 150fps with a 520 Hawk bullet. If I stray above 2150fps this rifle will not shoot to the sights. It shoots best at about 2125. I have hunted hogs with it and I don't think they could tell the difference.
I will check out your gunmaker.
Thanks

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geezo Pete. 535 grs. at 2200-2300 fps. Yes, that's a thumper. I'm into such old stuff I think of 1800 fps. as screaming. Lots of neat rifles and calibers listed and described!!!

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It certainly qualifies.

· Registered
1,951 Posts
My general hunting rifle is a DR. Not a SXS, it is an O/U - a Rizzini 90L Express rifle chambered for .30-06.

Pete

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ain't no flys on Rizzini. Nice piece of wood in that buttstock!!

· Inactive account
315 Posts
Dave, would you offer your opinion on the 58 Kodiak. Is that the one with 2 rear sights, one for each barrel? If so, have you been able to work up a load that would regulate using only one sight? I've always been curious about them but haven't found many, if any, reviews I really trust. That's quite a collection you have sir! And what's your load in the 11mm Mauser. That is the 43 Mauser unless I'm mistaken. Mine is basically a Jones underlever except that the lever is beneath the forearm. Works just as well for me.

zoar, I don't care for the OU doubles at all.....at least in the looks dept. Just isn't right. They are more economical though.

Thanks for posting up guys!

Vic
The Kodiak was my brother's. He got it to regulate with 560gr Parker Hale Minies and 100gr of Pyrodex RS. We used one rear sight @50yds and one rear @ 100yds. Each bbl shoots within 6" of each other set up this way. The only time I've hunted with it I took 2 hogs at 12 and 32 feet, respectively - didn't notice the dispersion so much....

The .43 Mauser shoots the .466" Lyman bullet soft-cast to 350gr loaded w/28gr of 5744, velocity 1438, standard diff = 21 fps. Has killed MANY things from 8 feet to 200 yds away. I plan on working up a jacketed bullet load this Spring with downsized .452 bullets....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.