Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last month I sold a couple of my hunting rifles! I really didn't believe that it would bother me later but it did. I reached the conclusion, along with my doctor, that I will never again be hunting on the "dark continent". Not sure I would want to go anyway with all that EBOLA going around over there nowd ays.

I have more time on my hands lately, since the wife and I have stopped raising German Shorthair Pointers and started dogs for bird hunting.
So I put up for sale a couple of model 70 Winchesters in a .375-Wby and A model 70 .458 Jack Lott with 24 inch barrel. Also sold a model 70 Winchester in .458 Win mag with 22 inch barrel.

Now what to do with the money? It did not take long to figure out that answer. I walked into the music store and came home with a Desert Rose 5 string Banjo and a Gibson (Les Paul Pro) guitar. The playing of those old Western tunes, sure helps the grieving process of selling ones rifles.:)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
2Bits I understand where you are coming from. My situation is that I will likely never be able to hunt the western states for elk or Alaska for caribou and brown bear. or go to Africa. Due to my life style in my younger days I have substantial injuries that have crippled me as I got older. My problem is that I feel much better just knowing I have my 35 Whelen and my 45-70 and my 444 Timber Rifle and my 7mm Mag. If I get rid of one it seems like giving up. I am dying for 375 H & H, but that would be complete stupidity on my part. My 7mm-08 and my old 30-30 Winchester 94, in reality, will take down anything i am likely to ever get to shoot.

I can still hunt deer and hogs here in Louisiana as long as I can keep walking and standing to a minimum. What is so bad is that I have always worked out religiously, dabbled in the martial arts and am otherwise health as a horse. But, here I am on the couch today ready to watch LSU and Alabama. If I had my choice I would be in the woods. But, I am watching TV and dreading a stiff series of MRIs next week because i went hunting last weekend and stayed to long and did too much. I am just not ready to shut down yet.

Us older/physically challenged guys have some serious issues to face. I, for one, am having a hard time with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
1 Cal. Keep the faith old pal. In my 75th year and I have some mobility problems but I intend doing as much as I can. I had an invite yesterday to a nice pheasant and partridge shoot. The problem was it is what we call a walk and stand shoot. Draw for positions in the line, one half of the team walks(beats) the others go forward and stand for any birds driven forwards. A great way to spend the day, if you are fit!! The standing bit is no problem because I can sit on my Stag Shooting Seat. The walking bit tested my metal somewhat because at times we were wading through waist high brambles. I then had a 110mile drive home and thought I would need my front end loader to lift me out of the Land Rover. Made it to bed and knew nothing until 7am this morning. A bit stiff but ready to go again.
I don't like pain killers but admit to knocking two back before I drove home. It was worth every minute.

Sold my 17HMR and purchased a double rifle in 8x57JRS with the intention of spending more time shooting driven boar.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Good that you could make the hunt Sus. I should not complain. I turn 68 next week. Most guys I know even younger sit on the couch by choice. I can, at least, get out on occasion even though it is not as often as I would like. And, I will be back in the woods week after next, unless they find some loose screws or broken rods or something that has to be immediately fixed. I have to learn to pace myself and haven't figured that out yet. Once I do I suspect life will be a lot easier.

I would think a driven boar hunt would be exciting. There was a time when we did a lot of deer hunting with dogs. Boy, that could put your heart in your throat in a hurry. And it did separate the good shots from the bad in a hurry, too. A double would have been real asset in dog hunting. But, never saw one. There is a gun smith in Haughton, LA, a couple of hours from the house, makes some beautiful doubles. He had one in 405 Winchester last time I was in there. Would love to have it, but not much use for one now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi, guys, I'm new to this site, but not to the world--I think ya'll know what I mean, what with Arthuritus and Psyatica! I used to love to bird hunt down around what is now Port Charollettel (can't spell it, my pencil makes mistakes), but can't anymore due to the above and that the place ain't there now! Shame how Florida has been developed (spelled ruint)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've definitely had to shift gears after a lifetime as a big-bore magnum fan, now my bony shoulders won't handle the stuff I used to do in the past.

But I've noticed that I enjoy my new light-kicking 270 WSM just as much as I used to love my old model 70 in .338 Win mag, and I get a big kick out of tweaking my .223 bolt gun for the best possible accuracy.

Sure I'm doing things differently and have to work within tighter limitations, but that hasn't prevented me from enjoying myself, I'm still having a lot of fun.

That's the main thing.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I feel very good after thinking back on my life! GOD ALMIGHTY has been good to me you betcha. I got a great wife, kids turned out good too. I been blessed to own a dozen or so, super great bird dogs (Brittny, Labs and German Shorthair Pointers) making me a very happy hunter.

I'll be content to hunt on a much smaller scale, play my guitar's & banjo's and boat on the lakes till the geese fly back home. To those that got to see "The Real Deal" in action toeing the mark, (IRISH MIKE FLANNIGAN...56-4-1) the pleasure was all mine. Thank You LORD!!!;)

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Sold my 17HMR...
I'd opine that was a good idea. Prob'ly couldn't get ammo for it, anyway? Seems anything rimfire is not to be had here. Can you buy .22LR and 17HMR over there with minimal hassles?

·
Banned
74 Posts
I wish the best for you all with your aches and pains and ailments . My father died a couple years ago at only 61. Thank goodness he retired from his Givernment job at 55. So he did have some free time. and some good times before he passed. Enjoy yourselfs you earned it. But becareful you don't bounce back like you once did.

Me I'm still only in my early 40's so I'm in my prime lol.:)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard the other day folks, that the USA is the #1 country for young obessed people. We have become (thanks to FAST FOOD) the worlds worst in both children and adults obesity.

Now go to Wal-Mart and purchase one of those NUTRA-Bullet 900 series. This is the best and fastest clean up for making good food "shakes". There is NO WASTE!!!

Yes, everything is turned in to liquid, pulp, skin etc. of fruits and such. I take one in the morning: Blueberries, leaf spinach, tomatoes, apple, carrots, peanuts, brocalli too. Folks this little machine cleans up in less than 15 seconds and your body will get what it needs without added "sugar" or "fat". I have lost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks. Later I will go to one of these drinks in the morning and one at suppertime.:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,123 Posts
I've got one too. They work great, I'm just trying to figure out how to work some deer parts into my shakes.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I'd opine that was a good idea. Prob'ly couldn't get ammo for it, anyway? Seems anything rimfire is not to be had here. Can you buy .22LR and 17HMR over there with minimal hassles?
Yep. Ooodles of it !! Just sold the HMR because I no longer have a use for it as a tool. The 17 Rem will handle that.;)

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Give me an Old Speckled Hen any day;):D 6ft 1 1/2inches and 200lb, probably could lose a pound or two but I prefer to go out smiling:D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Reviving 2bits thread. Had an experience this past week.

Wednesday: Made it to the camp early afternoon. Temp 45 degrees, drizzling rain. Grabbed my stainless 45-70 marlin, unleashed the Polaris and headed for a stand. Found one where I wanted to hunt, but my hat was the roof on this one. Hunted until black dark. Drove my Polaris into a hole on the way in. It was after 8 pm before I managed to winch myself out. I hurt too bad to eat and went to bed hungry.

Thursday: Could not get up for the morning hunt. Finally, I got the kinks worked out about noon and headed out for a beautiful hardwood bottom on the creek. Found a ground blind and sat hunched over in that thing until dark. It was not water proof. Again, my hat was the roof. I ate a small TV dinner and went to bed.

Friday: Could not get up at all. About mid day I called my wife to come get me. I spent Friday afternoon in the emergency room. They finally got me going again. We got home about dark. We went back today and picked up my truck and Polaris.

I will go back after Christmas. But, I think I will tone things down a bit. For one thing, I will pick better days to hunt.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1-Calicocat YOU put a big smile on my face indeed sir!!!;) I did a similar thing a while back, hung up the trailer behind the atv going across the creek and had no cell phone in my pocket. Wife was out shopping, I should have never ventured down to the creek by myself.

However, when one gets as short in the tooth as I am, you sort of still think and believe in your mind, ain't much changed these past few years. Now that is until you do something "stupid" like I did. I got the atv (electric shift model) trailer hung up in the creek, then got off to winch things free. I got wet in the process and the temps were down in the mid 30's. I tried to back it up but than the tranny stuck in reverse.

I banged up my knee slipping on a big flat rock in the creek. Took the first 3 layers of bark off and could see the 6 inch gash my leg to the bone! Ummmmmmmm not good I said to myself, that's when I looked to the heavens and started to pray Amen. I took off my belt and looped it to keep the blood from coming out so quick.:eek:

The wife and my friend who is 73 came down on the other atv. Out dogs were barking a lot and then knew I was down behind the dog kennel. The creek is about 400 yds down hill and another 150 across the field. They called the 911 and 20 minutes later I was on my way to the hospital to get stitches in my leg and knee. They wanted to keep me but I would have no part of that happening.

Now once home, the wife taped some plastic around my leg and I got a good hot shower and drank some hot tea. She took my blood sugar and it was down to 90 (needs to be 130 to 160) I ate a couple of candy bars. Then I went to bed and slept until 11:30 next morning.

I was sore all over my body! I took a tongue lashing from the wife (ex school teacher) and now carry my cell phone with me. She never said another word to me for 2 days after that ordeal. I thank the LORD I was able to get help that day. The stitches are out and the cut is heeling up well, I was sore for the next week and still have a sore knee. :(

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
2Bits, glad to see you made it out of that scrape. And I thought I was the only one who was sometimes not quite as smart as in other times.

What scared me about sticking my Polaris is that had I not been able to winch out, I would more than likely been there for the night in the rain and temperatures dropping down to the upper 30s. I had a cell phone. Hopefully, I could have called 911 and walked someone in to me, but it would have to have been another ATV/UTV type vehicle. And it would have taken most of the night, anyway.

Us physically challenged older guys need to think very hard before we go out. When I literally lived outdoors that kind of thing became second nature. But, you lose that ability in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
"some serious issues to face. I, for one, am having a hard time with it. "

Make that 2, me also.

Where I hunt large public tracts of land, no ATVs. It is tough to pick a blind location with in 200 yards up hill from the truck. tough because these places are locals where I've hunted for over 50 years...and I know great blind locations a little farther in or a little down the next ridge.

because I can't get a deer or black bear out of those deeper places is very sad to me. At least once each trip, I empty the rifle and just walk another few miles into the woods and down ravines (with caution)..just pretending is sort of fun.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sat out deer season this year.....

Well, that's what I get for retiring. Retired at the beginning of this year and missed deer season this fall for just about the only time in the past 40+ years. Started a bout with sciatica at the beginning of August. Was using a walker for a month, then a cane for two months. By the start of deer season, I was able to walk about 25 yards with a good amount of pain/difficulty. At the end of the season, I was able to go a little further, but still had considerable pain. Hiking up and down these densely-wooded Adirondack Mountains and potentially needing to drag out a big deer was not in the cards. If I was younger, I could have probably shaken off the pain (with the Oxycontin that I am currently taking) and gone hunting. It's enough of a challenge at 63 years old to drag a 200+ pound carcass through the ravines, but this sciatica thing put all hopes of meeting that challenge to an end. I'm getting better every day and this sciatica will pass.

The thing that won't pass is the increasing difficulty doing things as I grow older. Outdoor things that I did since I was a young buckaroo.

I am not handling this, as well.

Dan

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Dan, the sciatica passing will get you going again, but missing a deer season is terrible. I missed the first three seasons after my first back surgery and until this year, only went twice a year after that. I was good to go this summer. Cold damp weather is my downfall and brings on the pain and the cramps, etc. Cannot take enough pain medication to help.

Harry, my favorite hunting spot is off limits to me now. The rains flooded the branch crossing. That crossing is dangerous when dry, but wet it is impossible for wheels. I can walk in, but do not walk well. And no way could I drag a deer out. I have to leave that wonderful area for the younger guys.

After the fiasco last week I have figured out another couple of places I can hunt. High ground with small oak and hickory bottoms. I can ride in my Polaris and set up my climber and leave it out. Work one bottom one week and another bottom another week. Easy to get to and not too far from the camp. I have killed a number of good deer in there over the years. Sometimes over thinking gets me too far out when some of the best hunting is closer by.

Guys, I am terribly sorry that someone else is going through this. Guess it just has to be. I should be breaking in my new MGM barrel in 35 Whelen for my Encore right now, but am on the couch instead. I have a 50 yard range at the side of the house. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I keep saying that and sometimes it is.

I was wondering if anyone had my particular problems and was watching a documentary of retired pro athletes. I would have fit right in with those guys, except for the size, of course.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts