Shooters Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
No wonder you guys are on here all the time, your a bunch of retired geezers!!!
I'm hoping I can retire in about 15 years, trying to take care of myself so I'll be able to enjoy it.
I see people all the time that have retired and never had any hobbies, they have no idea what to do with themselves from day to day other than watch game shows and slowly die.
I doubt there's a single person on this forum that would fit into that category, the shooting sports has no equal when it comes to passion, it's truly a lifestyle more than a sport.

·
Registered
84 Posts
down the road

:DBack problems, neck problems, shoulder problems, make believe knees, 70+ years old. Next year I am going to try a mountain bike to get me out there. I have plans to attach a trailer to it, in case I get lucky and get a deer. As long as they keep pumping me full of pills to keep me alive, I will keep going out. I intend to stop when they put the last screw in the lid.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
:DBack problems, neck problems, shoulder problems, make believe knees, 70+ years old. Next year I am going to try a mountain bike to get me out there. I have plans to attach a trailer to it, in case I get lucky and get a deer. As long as they keep pumping me full of pills to keep me alive, I will keep going out. I intend to stop when they put the last screw in the lid.
Side by side atv, can't beat them. I've broken both legs at different times trying to prove to myself that I really can ride a motorcycle, last time was about 7 years ago. I got a shoot from the vehicle permit for 2 years, that was almost worth having a broken leg, you should have no trouble getting a permit at your age.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I agree 100% with the side by side. If I had known what I had been missing I would never have purchased a conventional 4-wheeler.

By Mountain Bike, are you referring to the bicycle type or the motorized type? My last significant experience with a motorcycle ended with me flying over three lanes of a 4 lane highway and bouncing off the door of a Pizza Hut. I was propelled by a Dodge Charger, a 1968 model if I remember correctly. They call it a muscle car now and I can vouch for that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
2Bits I understand where you are coming from. My situation is that I will likely never be able to hunt the western states for elk or Alaska for caribou and brown bear. or go to Africa. Due to my life style in my younger days I have substantial injuries that have crippled me as I got older. My problem is that I feel much better just knowing I have my 35 Whelen and my 45-70 and my 444 Timber Rifle and my 7mm Mag. If I get rid of one it seems like giving up. I am dying for 375 H & H, but that would be complete stupidity on my part. My 7mm-08 and my old 30-30 Winchester 94, in reality, will take down anything i am likely to ever get to shoot.

I can still hunt deer and hogs here in Louisiana as long as I can keep walking and standing to a minimum. What is so bad is that I have always worked out religiously, dabbled in the martial arts and am otherwise health as a horse. But, here I am on the couch today ready to watch LSU and Alabama. If I had my choice I would be in the woods. But, I am watching TV and dreading a stiff series of MRIs next week because i went hunting last weekend and stayed to long and did too much. I am just not ready to shut down yet.

Us older/physically challenged guys have some serious issues to face. I, for one, am having a hard time with it.
I feel you my friend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 Cal. Keep the faith old pal. In my 75th year and I have some mobility problems but I intend doing as much as I can. I had an invite yesterday to a nice pheasant and partridge shoot. The problem was it is what we call a walk and stand shoot. Draw for positions in the line, one half of the team walks(beats) the others go forward and stand for any birds driven forwards. A great way to spend the day, if you are fit!! The standing bit is no problem because I can sit on my Stag Shooting Seat. The walking bit tested my metal somewhat because at times we were wading through waist high brambles. I then had a 110mile drive home and thought I would need my front end loader to lift me out of the Land Rover. Made it to bed and knew nothing until 7am this morning. A bit stiff but ready to go again.
I don't like pain killers but admit to knocking two back before I drove home. It was worth every minute.

Sold my 17HMR and purchased a double rifle in 8x57JRS with the intention of spending more time shooting driven boar.
I hope I have your determination in 10 years. Getting old ain't for the faint of heart. When you love the outdoors you will your way, to find a way. I was trying to explain to my 13 year old grand daughter what animal husbandry was. I finally settled on, it means you care enough for your animals that you make sure they are all fed and watered before you sit down for breakfast. She just have me that look like REALLY! I am seriously worried what this world is coming to.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts