Shooters Forum banner

Downrange balistics

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jack Monteith 
#1 ·
Here in Illinois, to hunt with a handgun I must use a load with a muzzel energy of 500 ft pds minimum.  
I can get this figrue easily by using the program in the Ballisticisn's Corner.  
But is there a formula, or a program that can tell me what the downrange velocity of my load will be at say 50, 75,100 yards?
I am no mathematicion, so I won't be able to use any really complicated algebraic formulas.  
Any help appreciated.

#3 ·
Jack,
The bullet I'm thinking about is the 265 gr BTB Keith bullet.  I suspect the b.c. is in the bullet section.  
So to figure this out I would use the External Balistics Calculator.  
I looked at that and thougt it was a bit complicated.  Will look again.
Well i looked at it again, and I do not have much of the info that program asks for.  Temp, distance of crongraph, plus many other items.  So unless there is a way to improvise this info, this program is not for me.
Thanks.
Joe

#4 ·
Hi, J:
   You can ignore most of the data fields.  You just need muzzle velocity, and try a ballistic coefficient of 0.250.  You know bullet weight and set sight height to whant ever it is on your gun. That's centre of bore to the top of the front sight or the centre of the scope.  Set the increment to 25 yards and max range to as far as you figure you'll shoot.  Set zero to the distance you're sighted in at.  Give it a try.  

Bye
Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.