Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that both these rifles are completely different. Bolt vs semi-auto. I am having trouble deciding on what I want to invest in. I have had 3 bolt rifles over the last 3 years. Now both rifles can and most likely will be MOA rifles if not sub MOA out of the box. I like the LR-308 but i dont want to have trouble reloading for it. I have heard that reloding for semi-auto gas loading rifles can be a pain? Am i right? Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either rifle and can give me there 2 or mabey 3 cents! ;) Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
See if you can borrow a copy of the Sierra loading manual and read its 15 page section on loading for gas guns? It isn't especially difficult, but cases don't last as long and accuracy potential is not usually as high as for a bolt gun. The bolt gun will let you do things like neck-size-only, which the gas gun will not. You can also use a wider range of powders in the bolt gun since it has no gas port pressure range to worry about.

Gas guns make rapid fire easier and can certainly be made to shoot with service rifle match accuracy or better, and do all the time. I think the decision depends more on what kind of shooting you want to do, really? Either gun may require additional gunsmithing to achieve its full potential, but both should be pretty good out of the box. Plenty of tools and aftermarket accessories and gunsmiths are around who specialize in Remingtons.

Incidentally, I own both semi-auto and bolt .308's and they just aren't the exact same thing. Decide what kind of shooting you want to do? If it includes hunting, be aware that some jurisdictions that allow high power hunting rifles don't allow semi-autos, so you need then to know the rules where you intend to go shoot?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told that it is verey critical that when you reload for a military style mag. fed rifles that you need to use NATO type primers do to a condition called a SLAM FIRE I own several 308 Semi's and I do not like to take chances I weigh on the safty side and have heard of several SLAM FIRE incidences do to reloading some times to gun stores do not even know what a NATO primer is. I when the Bass Pro Shop to find them and the gun sales man told me infront of about 50 peaple that there was no such thing. COMMUNIST California sales man go figure. Be careful when reloading for a military mag. semi auto. I have fired a 1000 round threw my rifles and know many shooters that have done the same with no problems because safty is always first know what you are reloading and always have a good time shooting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright sweet i think i have made up my mind.. It would be cool to have the LR, but i do enjoy reloading for bolt guns and would hate to complicate things with a gas loader...plus i can get the Rem 700 police for $820 rather than $1120 for the LR. I think ill stick with the 700P, plus that means i could put a little more money in on the trigger possibley threading the barrel for a break:D Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
.308 Freak, loading for gas system semi autos isnt hard, its just that you have to use an appropriate powder. Like using 4895 or 4064 so the pressure curve fits the system's operation. I load for my FAL and I have to full length resize cases and FL resized cases dont last as long as neck sized only.

High primers can cause slam fires. You should check for high primers with every reload anyway.

The way Military Surplus ammo gets around that issue in semi auto rifles is by crimping in primers so they dont back out. So if you reload military brass, you have to chamfer out the crimp they put in to give thier primer extra hold.

Id suggest that rather than putting a break on a .308, sink money into the best optic you can buy. The 700P has a nice stock on it and reciol with the .308 in it should be negligible so a break would be unnecessary in my opinion, but good optics are worth every penny.

·
Registered
817 Posts
+1 on the optics suggestions. If you want to reduce recoil put a good pad on it like a Limbsaver and spend the extra money on glass, rings, base, bi-pod, and reloading supplies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks again that all makes sense about the break on it. I just think they make the rifle look and feel even better! For optics I am thinking about the Millet TRS-1........I know a little cheap but it will have to do until the grass starts growin and i start mowin. So until then NO MUZZLE BREAK and NO NIGHT FORCE/LEOPOLD!!!!!!Sad sad

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try Something New

I recently purchase an LR308 on an AR platform, to be honest it cant beat the accuracy of a Bolt Action rifle. I have several bolt actions and love them, but theres something about setting down a semi auto 308 knowing that you have several follow up shots on the same target in seconds... one of the most entertaining guns I have!

No comparison as far as accuracy goes, but its sure as **** fun to shoot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts