Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drones are now available to civilians. Several models and sizes were on display for sale at the "Tanner Gun Show" in Denver yesterday (and today). Although still short range and unarmed, they are fitted for surveillance and come with a monitor. Since at least 1 town in Colorado (Deer Trail - I think) is contemplating selling "Drone Hunting Licenses", there was some discussion as to whether a rifle or shotgun would be better to shoot them down.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,991 Posts
At the gun show?

One-stop shopping, I guess.... ?????

·
Registered
330 Posts
Although I believe your post is somewhat satirical. I had to laugh to myself as I do have some limited experience with this.

In the Early 80's I remember training several times on live fire ranges to engage aircraft with small arms fire. Our service rifle at the time was a M16A1. The drones we trained on engaging we basically Styrofoam with a single gas driven propeller in the nose, (basically a model engine) If I remember correctly the wing span was anywhere from 6 to 8 feet, and at that time the plane itself was unreliable.

Of the few times we did this we learned a few things.

1st. We were very unsuccessful at trying to track and fire at the plane (Squad size element) The most successful technique was to pick a point where the plane was going to be and concentrate fire at that fixed position and let the plane fly into the rounds.

2nd. When the target flew directly at you, you had to mass your fire above the drone, (aim high) to allow it to fly through the fire. If flying away mass your fire below.

As unreliable as the target drones where, we were equally unsuccessful in bring them down with any reliability. The 5.56 just punched holes in the foam and provided little affect unless we hit the engine or the guidance mechanism.

That being said if it would of had anything more than just an engine and guidance on board I am sure we would of done some damage to the internals.
A drone with thermal imagery is going have a huge advantage over anyone or things on the ground. My suggestion is get better at hiding. lol

At the time we joked that it would be better just to launch a camo net at them....

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I believe your post is somewhat satirical. I had to laugh to myself as I do have some limited experience with this.

In the Early 80's I remember training several times on live fire ranges to engage aircraft with small arms fire. Our service rifle at the time was a M16A1. The drones we trained on engaging we basically Styrofoam with a single gas driven propeller in the nose, (basically a model engine) If I remember correctly the wing span was anywhere from 6 to 8 feet, and at that time the plane itself was unreliable.

Of the few times we did this we learned a few things.

1st. We were very unsuccessful at trying to track and fire at the plane (Squad size element) The most successful technique was to pick a point where the plane was going to be and concentrate fire at that fixed position and let the plane fly into the rounds.

2nd. When the target flew directly at you, you had to mass your fire above the drone, (aim high) to allow it to fly through the fire. If flying away mass your fire below.

As unreliable as the target drones where, we were equally unsuccessful in bring them down with any reliability. The 5.56 just punched holes in the foam and provided little affect unless we hit the engine or the guidance mechanism.

That being said if it would of had anything more than just an engine and guidance on board I am sure we would of done some damage to the internals.
A drone with thermal imagery is going have a huge advantage over anyone or things on the ground. My suggestion is get better at hiding. lol

At the time we joked that it would be better just to launch a camo net at them....

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF
The drones for sale at the show had 4 vertical propellers, sort of like a double helicopter, and were highly maneuverable with a control box sort of like remote control toy airplanes. They varied in size from about a foot square to several feet on a side. The rep was flying a small one above his display.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
"A drone with thermal imagery is going have a huge advantage over anyone or things on the ground. My suggestion is get better at hiding." lol

I'm getting a tin foil hat for my house!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds more like what amazon was demoing for package delivery. More or less a platform capable of vertical flight, ie. helicopter. I was reading somewhere a guy is already using something similar with thermal imagery to assist in hog eradication.

like anything the technology will improve until the price point gets to where more and more folks can afford, then one thing will lead to another.... Simple enough just to drop stuff from them at that point.

Then it will be a question of how high above your property do you own the airspace....if at all.

Will they then need to be licensed and registered....

Good luck shoot straight and shoot often.
GF

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,886 Posts
Not sure the correlation between drone shooting and the board, but it is entertaining!

Back in my brown boot Army days and in armored training, we attempted to shoot a "drone" (actually a model plane suspended on a sloping cable between hills about 200 yds in length) with the MaDuce on the turrets of M47 tanks as air defense guns. Several tanks would be lined up together and shoot at the target. In all my time at the range, don't think the thing was hit once, even knowing the glide path and slow decent.
Agree with Mike - better off with a 10 ga shooting geese loads! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
How about those 12 ga mortars used to scare off crows and such? I shot one at a turkey once by mistake at 30 yds. Didn't get the bird, I did hit him with it, he just flipped over and got away before it blew up. I just sat there,
Modify one to expell a load of twine or fishing line. Let it try and fly through that.

adk59

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
The Coloradu town that wants to shoot them is probably on the right track about government surveillance and personal privacy, but shooting them down? I'm still a little leary about where they'll crash land. Better maybe is to destroy any found within the county or city. Hmmm but then again, model airplanes have been available to the public for decades and model planes with cameras have been available for at least 15 years.

How about just a ban on public use (meaning use by government)?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You have to find the guy flying it.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Sounds more like what amazon was demoing for package delivery. More or less a platform capable of vertical flight, ie. helicopter. I was reading somewhere a guy is already using something similar with thermal imagery to assist in hog eradication.

like anything the technology will improve until the price point gets to where more and more folks can afford, then one thing will lead to another.... Simple enough just to drop stuff from them at that point.

Then it will be a question of how high above your property do you own the airspace....if at all.

Will they then need to be licensed and registered....

Good luck shoot straight and shoot often.
GF
Was it Ronald Regan who said " If it moves tax it, if it keeps moving regulate it and if it stops moving subsidize it" . With reference to this subject, I think the last part should read ........ if it stops moving, it's dead through perforation :D

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The drones for sale at the show had 4 vertical propellers, sort of like a double helicopter, and were highly maneuverable with a control box sort of like remote control toy airplanes. They varied in size from about a foot square to several feet on a side. The rep was flying a small one above his display.
Those with 4 rotors are commonly called quad-copters. They're not at all uncommon. A local camerman here (independent; works with videographers, advertizing, etc) has a 6-rotor unit he flies for aerial footage for ads and promotional work.

An agricultural association I work with would love to use r/c aircraft or UAVs or whatever you want to call them, for work in ag fields. Small UAVs like that can be programmed to fly a pre-planned route (via GPS) to support precision agriculture. It's an extremely useful and efficient way to accomplish some kinds of things, but there is a stigma attached, and at the moment it's forcing everyone to use _much_ more expensive, less effective means to achieve the same end.

A note: Certainly we should be wary of government having too much power. What I think is routinely overlooked is that we should have the same wariness for private enterprise/large companies. I think we're badly out of balance right now in this area.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
The ONLY Known Drone "Kill" was here in Pennsylvania. Drones are considered "Fair Game" and a License is not required, at this time, nor is non-lead shot required. At the deed closing for my farm in 1988, my attorney said, "You own from the center of the Earth to the Heavens above." My 12 Gauge turkey gun and M1 Garand will forever enforce the air space above my farm.

Send me some drones so I can set my sights....

Webley

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think that we're all becoming a little paranoid.
I don't give a poop about drone surveillance any more than I worry about flying saucers.
At least the pilot of the UFO may be benevolent. :D

Reactions: Easternhunter
1 - 20 of 33 Posts