Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime back I bought some 44 300 gn cast Keith bullets from Dry Creek. They are within driving distance so I ran up and bought some. To date I haven't been able to keep them on a paper plate at 25 yrds with my scoped SRH. I have tried them through my Redhawk also, I shot my target frame in two. With RCBS 250-K cast from #2 alloy and sizd to 430 both guns shoot great. But I cannot get Dry Creek to work at all. I have tried all the common powders and loads without success. I miked the bullets and they were 432. So I even tried running them thru my sizer still no luck. I am stumped. Like I say its not my guns, they both shoot my cast and jacketed loads just fine, any thoughts ?..........regards Ogre

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Sounds perplexing. I have shot some of Lynn's bullets and have had nothing but good luck.

See if you can get in touch with him through the Sixguns or Sixgunner message board. He generally posts on both of them and signs in as LAH, his initials.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Ogre

I also shoot Lynn`s 44 bullets when I am range shooting and not in the mood for casting.I have no complaints as they shoot very well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I too shoot his bullets and they shoot excellent for me. In the gun I was shooting, they had to be driven pretty fast. Maybe that is what you are experiencing with the longer bullet. He also posts under the name Creeker at www.handloads.com. It maybe better to e-mail him as he is extremely busy right now and not reading the forums regularly. [email protected]

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Ogre,
How hard are you driving the bullets? I have seen problems with very hard cast bullets before if you don't drive them hard enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen, I think you may be on to somthing, The loads were not close to max, I'll re-work the load and try again. Thanks ! ...........regards Ogre

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have three rugers that all slug .431.
I would consider 430 too small.
Mine are blackhawk/vaquero types but I'd be surprised if RH barrels are smaller.

Also, I think there's a good chance the twist is too slow for the 300s, unless you push them fast. Think sombody else said that.
Humpty

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ogre,
My SRH does not like H4227. It keyholes 240 SWCs at 25 yards. It does not seem to matter what the load level is.
All other powders I have tried shoot pretty well.< W296-A7-A9-Unique and 2400> with 2400 being my least favorite and A7 being #1.
Also works well in the .41

1 - 8 of 8 Posts