Shooters Forum banner

Dual caliber Redhawk

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jwp475 
#1 ·
I am waiting on the arrival my new Switch Caliber Redhawk to show up. In the mean time a picture will have to do

This is a 44/45 caliber revolver. A Dan Wesson barrel system was fitted to a 44 Mag Redhawk frame and a complete 45 Colt cylinder and frame was added with quick change capabilities. When the revolver arrives I will give it a complete evaluation and post the results

See less See more
#2 ·
a "44"?!?!

JWP; I cannot imagine you...of all folks...wanting to shoot a 44 cal bullet out of a handgun!!! Keep us posted...should be interesting!

#4 ·
JWP; I cannot imagine you...of all folks...wanting to shoot a 44 cal bullet out of a handgun!!! Keep us posted...should be interesting!

Every one should have a 44 mag. After all it was the first of the really potent hunting revolver rounds with factory loads

#5 ·
JWP; True!....still my favorite...the only big bore I have ever owned....it has served me well! Just a question....does this modification lessen the strength of the Redhawk compared to an unmodified gun?

#7 ·
JWP; Looking forward to your "tests". Knowing you, I know you will put this gun through the ringer!

#14 ·
Whit............for a good portion of my life, I hunted with an old country boy named "Flo". He was an old man at that time, and I was much younger than he. When he was a child, his daddy gave him a single shot 22LR bolt action rifle. In the course of Flo's lifetime, he took over 70 deer with that little 22, and had a photo album with pictures of every deer he shot. Some of the photo's from way back when were the old sepia (brown) photo paper media....and in those shots, he was just a boy. The last year that we hunted with Flo, (he was 83 years old) he told us that it would be his last...his health was failing. I asked him why he never "upgraded" to a more modern/powerful cartridge for deer hunting. He told me that the little 22 that his daddy gave him as a child had served him well, and that to his way of thinking, he never "needed", or "wanted" anything else. I guess that I feel the same way about the 44 Mag. The cartridge has taken every game animal in the world, its a great balance of power, controllability, and versatility, and compared to some of the more "serious" handgun rounds out there, it is economical to reload. I have used the 44 mag for over 43 years and it just seems senseless to make a change now. I am very comfortable with the cartridge in a handgun...shooting one is second nature....and I know I can smoke anything I put a bead on. I just dont need anything else, and really dont want anything else. I am in a "happy place"!..........but, thats just me.

#15 ·
Flat top, my love affair with the .429 mag started a number of decades ago and it was the cartridge that I first learned to reload on. I still have the first two Model 29s that I ever purchased. That said, I like my bigger calibers a whole lot more. It costs me a bit more in lead and powder, but they more than make up for it with effectiveness on game. ****, my .500 JRH is so accurate that I can see no real reason to hunt with anything else (at least for the moment!).

I hear what you're saying and understand completely.......I just enjoy the bigger calibers more, and this includes the .45 Colt -- it's real hard beat.

#16 ·
Whit; My "second" choice (if there was not a 44 Mag) would be the 45 LC in a Redhawk, Blackhawk, or Freedom.......Modern loadings in modern guns make the 45 LC hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.