Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heat index is 110F here so my mind drifts to waterfowling. My annual ND trip is less than 2 months out now. We have to eat a lot of ducks up there to stay under the possesion limit so there's been a fair amount of experimentation. This my favorite so far...

Soak deboned breasts in Allegro marinade (or your fave) for at least a few hours in a ziploc in the fridge. Cut into strips about 4"x1".

Split lengthwise the biggest jalapenos you can find, removing most seeds (Poblanos or another pepper should work too).

Lay a strip of cream cheese (any cheese works) in the pepper boat, cram a strip of duck on top, wrap tightly in cheap thin fatty bacon, secure with toothpicks.

Grill over medium coals until done (or until you can't stand it anymore). Don't turn them or you lose your cheese.

Remove toothpicks and eat 'em whole. Mmmm..Mmmm.. Girls even like these! (this is how we pick up those heavy northern gals up there...)

TIPS: soak the toothpicks in water to keep them from burning too bad.
A variation of this is to butterfly marinated breast halves, stuffing with cream cheese and sliced (pickled) jalapenos, wrap in bacon, grill...
Species: Woodies and GW Teal tie as my favorites. Too good for this recipe in honesty. These deserve real cuisine work. We bag alot of Widgeons (Baldpate/Bandits) in ND and they're great too. Better than Mallard (which we have lots of here in AR), IMO. Any dabbler will work. Save the divers and geese (except specks...mmm) for the gumbo pot... (I'll post gumbo when it gets cold...)

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Many thanks. Those sound really good.... with bird season around the corner, it's time to get some of last year's take out of the freezer and make room for new. Sounds like a great idea. We'll try them.

God Bless,

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
You ever get any snow geese up there? They are surprisingly good, just filet off the breast meat and fry like roundsteak. Tastes a lot like it, too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeG said:
You ever get any snow geese up there? They are surprisingly good, just filet off the breast meat and fry like roundsteak. Tastes a lot like it, too.
No, but we get 'em here in Arkansas like fleas on a hound. By the time they get down here, they smell and taste like gamey liver. Not to my liking. The only geese around here fit to eat are Specklebellies (Whitefront). Tastes like a big duck. I do plan on trying to bag a Sandhill in ND this year. I understand they are very tasty if they are under 50 years old or so... The old ones make the gravy tough I hear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts