Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide where to located my bench when I begin to reload. I have a storage room in the basement that would be ideal, but the furnace and hot water heater are also in this room. If I position the bench 8-10ft away from those items, do you think that would be okay or would you say absolutely not?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The only way I would consider setting up a reloading bench near a furnace and water heater was if I could put up a wall or partition between where I'm working and those two appliances.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I keep & use my reloading bench with all my powder, primers & ammo in my basement. The year round temp. remains at 68 to 72 degrees & is bone dry & is not near any heasting sources. Not sure about your choice of location though. Is your furnace gas, with a flame? If so then I would not recommend placing your reloading bench there. If it is electric then you're okay but keep the bench away from the furnace anyway as far as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me clarify in a little more detail. This location is my only real option unfortunately. The location is constantly cool and dry. Even though the bench is about 8-10 feet away, my concern would be the flames located inside the furnace and water heater when they kick on. If this is going to be an issue, I will have to give up on my reloading aspirations.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Let me clarify in a little more detail. This location is my only real option unfortunately. The location is constantly cool and dry. Even though the bench is about 8-10 feet away, my concern would be the flames located inside the furnace and water heater when they kick on. If this is going to be an issue, I will have to give up on my reloading aspirations.
Would it be possible to erect some kind of permanent, or even temporary, wall (half-wall?) between the appliances and the spot where you would be reloading? If that location is the only option you have, work with what is there to make it safe from those enclosed flames.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
Unless you are throwing handfuls of powder at the pilot lights, I don't see an issue. Smokeless is flammable, but it has to contact flames, first.

A volatile liquid like gasoline would be far, far more dangerous in that location.

·
Banned
605 Posts
My brother and I reloaded our ammo about 6' from a gas/fuel oil fired furnace. No problems. Actually, we didn't even think about it. And my brother has finally learned to use the press and everything with his right arm. Too bad about the left one but after that terrible explosion that's the way life left him. Hmmmmmmm, wonder if the powder ... nah, couldn't have been. LOL. Nope , we never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . Smokeless is flammable, but it has to contact flames, first. . . .
+1 on that. If you can position your bench 8 to 10 feet from any pilot light, highly unlikely that you will have any problems with smokeless powder. Just observe the rules of cleanliness to avoid powder being tracked and accumulated near the pilot lights.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unless you are throwing handfuls of powder at the pilot lights, I don't see an issue. Smokeless is flammable, but it has to contact flames, first.

A volatile liquid like gasoline would be far, far more dangerous in that location.

+2 - Agreed - You will spill powder at some point but I think you have more chance of zombie attack than creating a explosive/fire hazard with the powder. Do you store any paint or solvents in the basement? That would be the hazard I would keep from the open flame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my reloading set-up about 20 feet away from our heater and I closed off the vent close to me so that it would not mess with my scale when checking the powder weights. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Store your powder and primers away from sources of flame or ignition.

Use all of your brain when building ammunition.

I burn wood in the same room that I build the best ammunition in the world! I am VERY CAREFULL to make sure that flame/heat NEVER GET NEAR my reloading gear.

It would be good if all of you would do the same or better.

I don't want to read about about any of us in the newspaper!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I agree with Mike. My hot water (gas) heater is in the garage where I reload. I don;t store powder in there, but there's a pound out on the bench sometimes for a couple of days.

My 2-car garage is also my woodshop, so you can imagine the chemicals stored (carefully) in there. A little common sense goes a long way, with venting, storage away from the heater, cleanliness, maintenance, etc. No one should get the idea there's carelessness, apathy, or daring in my shop - just a little experience and a tad of wisdom.

8-10' is a long ways. I think you'll be fine, Pacemker. Were it me, I'd store powder and primers in a dresser in the spare room, or the corner of the top closet shelf, or........

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Yep, prolly a million to one chance of any probs, but you could store your powder/primers under your bed (as in another room)...;)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
quick little partition wall of 2x4 studs and two sheets of half inch sheet rock (one each side) between you and the furnace and water heater wou give you and your significant other peace of mind and a nice place for shelves for manuals, bullets, brass, tools you arent actively using and that way, more space on your bench.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Have you considered getting a portable stand for your press? Then you could move it to the kitchen table when using it, then return it to the storage area when you;re done. I have my press mounted on a board that I clamp to a table when I want to use it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got my bench located about 10 feet away from my water heater in the garage. I do have a large steel gun safe located between my loading bench and water heater. Never had any problems. Perhaps you should place your gun safe between those areas too. Unless you're tossing powder towards the open flame, you should be OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a portable bench a few years back when I was living in an apartment; it had a top that was about 42" wide and 24" deep with two drawers and a big space under that to put bullets and brass. It worked very well and had enough space for a Dillon square deal on one side and a single stage on the other. I got it from a company based in Minnesota for like $99. If I find the link to it I will surely forward it you. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
A word of caution from my experience in the building business - if you build any type of partition around your furnace/water heater area, do not block your fresh air venting to that area. This could create a situation for carbon monoxide levels to increase.

·
Banned
742 Posts
PaseMr, that's NOT a dumb question. That is absolutely a valid question. However, I wouldn't worry about where your reloading location is. Like MikeG said, unless you plan on throwing powder and primers all over nothing will happen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts