Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the field do you think the .358 win and the Marlin .444 do the same job? Or does one have an advantage over the other. The 358 is a Savage 99 and the 444 would be a Marlin Lever Gun. The Savage I have and the Marlin, well I go to sleep thinking about getting one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You only live once in this world...if you are dreaming of a 444, then I think you ought to get one.  The joy of a new rifle is delightful.  By the way, I had that same itch and scratched it today...got me a new 444P from a gunshop that was closing down for $450.  Life is good!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree with Beacon 100%

If you want it then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a .444.

Besides, I've never seen a 300 grn load for a .358 Winchester before.

One other thought; there are a lot of shooters and hunters out there who subscribe to the idea that one caliber is "doing the same thing" as another and they don't really "need" the other caliber.  This has killed a lot of great cartridges, such as the .358 Winchester.  Low sales numbers will cause any product to be discontinued.  I imagine a lot of hunters couldn't see much advantage between the .358 Win and their favorite 30-06.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I'd get the .444 and use it as much as any other.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dutch is EXACTLY right!
Another reason to "duplicate" cartridges is: if one is discontinued for some reason, you have the other as a back-up. Then way gun and ammo manufacturers discontinue items in various weights, configurations, etc. having a back up rifle (and ammo) is a great idea while you're looking for ammo to use  in your other rifle.

Have a great week-end,
Timberwolf

·
Banned
41 Posts
Looks like all the repliers are of the same mindset.

I have a Savage 99 in 358 win, and have made a lot of brass for it by firing reloadable surplus 7.62 Nato (.308 Win) in it, and a Marlin 444. Love them both but did give the Savage to my wife.

get the Marlin and never look back, you'll love the pair.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Having two rifles that can do much the same tasks can also save an important or distant trip if one is damaged or lost. If you can, take two rifles that can sub for each other on any important hunt, and send in separate cases if traveling commercial.

Fireplug

·
Registered
716 Posts
JACK R,

IN YOUR POST YOU STATED THAT YOU FIRED 308 AMMO IN YOUR SAVAGE 99 IN 358.  AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING THAT I CAN FIRE 30-30 AMMO IN MY MARLIN 336CB IN 38-55 IN ORDER TO OBTAIN FIRE-
FORMED BRASS?

NITRO,  NRA LIFE / SASS

·
Banned
41 Posts
Nitro,
Thats correct , while the 308 brass forms to the correct length for 358, the 30-30 brass forms to about 375 Win length @ about 2.080 and works just fine in my 336 CB. Try this link,

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/17
also there are several posts in the forum about fireforming, you may want to use the search function.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since all this agreement makes of boring readin', I'll throw in an idear.  What about the theory that the fewer rifles you have, the more proficient you will be with any one of them?  Knowin' your rifle intimately is an old army recipe for marksmanship, that has long been forgotten in this consumer-based society.  Sides that, I'd take a .358 to a 444 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mule,

I actually agree that the man with a single rifle may well be a better shot than most with that rifle.  However, that would be so boring!  Almost as bad as all-in-agreement.  However, similar action types also have transfer of technique.  I see that between single-shots and lever-actions.  I like variety, knowing that I will have to make a single round do the job.  Duplication simply allows, or forces(?), you to learn a type of action.

dclark

·
Registered
79 Posts
You're right, of course.  I do feel guilty when I have a rifle that ain't even taken game jus' sittin in my gun rack collectin' dust.  But duplication does feed the reloadin' hobby, which is a necessity for keepin' my sanity durin' those long Wyomin' winters.  'Course bein' down in the BIG town, you probably can't relate to that!

·
Registered
339 Posts
One main advantage the 444 has is so many different Bullets styles while the .358 is somewhat limited.  Once upon a time my all time everything Rifle was a 350 Remington Magnum and I think I tried about all the bullets available and seattled on 225grain partition.....................Marko

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just had sort of a brainstorm about the benefits of duplicating what's already in your battery (at least sometimes). If two rifles give near equal performance and if you have both, if something better comes along, or if you just want to aquire a "bigger and faster" firearm, the duplicate gives you a possible trading edge. This works really well when you may not have ready cash for a new purchase.

Regards to everyone,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
79 Posts
Timber,
Trouble with that is I always regret takin' a bath on a nice rifle.  In fact, I'd say that's the best reason to just buy what you want and never get rid of anything, regardless of level of use.  I've squandered a good retirement at least on firearms over the past 30 years.  My son will get mine when I'm gone, provided he never parts with any, even if they end up bein' paperweights.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Muleskinner, your words are a portrait of wisdom. I have a hunch that so many guys can relate to what you have said! I sure can.

Timberwolf

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yea, Mule,

Comin' from a "big" town in Wyoming, I have lots to do in them cold Wyoming winters and mild spring winds.  If I could just keep my guns fed appropriately without a retirement fund or two, I would be the same as you.  BROKE.  Just a method of trying to maintain sanity (what there is left of it.)

dclark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts