Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 12 inch Browning dutch oven at the local Sportsman's Warehouse for about $35 bucks. So, with the new toy I wanted some recipes to tryout and found this great website that I thought I would share. :D

Dutch Oven Recipes

And some others that I found:

Oh-So-Easy-Salmon
4 salmon fillets or a 1 pound piece of salmon
3 Tblsp Grey Poupon regular dijon mustard or Harvest Coarse Ground Mustard
16 crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
Lightly oil or spray dutch oven.
Place salmon fillet in prepared oven.
Spread mustard evenly over fish.
Sprinkle with crushed cracker crumbs.
Add a little dill weed or lemon pepper if so desired.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Makes 3-4 servings.

Fried Catfish
1. Start with the right cut. We found 4- to 6-ounce, thin-cut, farm-raised fillets easy to manage in the skillet, and they curl up
when fried, giving great eye appeal.
2. Reach for the cornmeal. To make an unforgettable fish fry, we found the answer in a simple ingredient- cornmeal.
It offers the kind of crunchy texture that we all crave. This is our favorite Classic Fried Catfish recipe.
3. Master the multi-task. Use one hand for dredging and the other one clean and dry for manning the slotted
spatula.
4. Maintain proper frying technique. Use a large Dutch oven or deep cast-iron skillet to keep the oil from
popping out. For the crispest results, don’t overcrowd the skillet (this will cause the fish to steam) and fry in
batches.
5. Keep a deep-fry thermometer handy. Watch the temperature of the oil constantly and wait between batches until
it reaches the proper temperature again before dropping in the next fillets so that all your fish cooks evenly.
6. Stick a fork in it! Especially if it’s your first time frying, and you’re nervous about when the fish is finished cooking,
stick a fork in the thickest part of the fillet and twist it. If it begins to flake, it’s ready to eat.
7. Keep it crisp. Don’t place your perfectly fried catfish on a soggy paper towel. Once you pull the fillets out of the
frying pan (we like to use tongs and give it a squeeze to release any excess oil), place them on a metal cooling rack
above a sheet pan.
8. Don’t forget the sides! What’s fried catfish without coleslaw, baked beans, and hush puppies?
Test Kitchen Tip: If you purchase frozen fillets, place them in a colander with a pan underneath, and thaw in the
refrigerator overnight; otherwise, keep them in the coldest part of your refrigerator, and use within two days.

Touch of Grace Biscuits
2 cups self-rising flour, preferably a low-protein Southern flour like White Lilly
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tblsp vegetable shortening
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tblsp butter, melted
Lightly oil or spray 10 inch dutch oven.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the self-rising flour, sugar, and salt. Work shortening in with
your fingers until there are no large lumps. Gently stir in the cream, then enough buttermilk so that
the dough resembles wet cottage cheese. If you are not using White Lilly flour, you may need to add
more buttermilk.
Spread one cup all-purpose flour on a plate or pie pan. Using a medium ice cream scoop or
spoon, scoop a biscuit-size amount of dough and gently drop it into the flour. Sprinkle with flour to
coat. Pick it up and gently shape it into a round, shaking off the excess flour as you work. Place
biscuit in prepared dutch oven or pan. Repeat. Crowd biscuits in pan as close to each other as
possible; this helps them rise.
Bake at 425 degrees until lightly browned, 18-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Cut with
knife or spatula and remove. Serve warm with butter or jam. Makes 15 biscuits.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
As a scout leader I used to carry three large dutch ovens on every camp out. One for the main dish, one for a side dish and one for a dessert. I would line each with heavy tinfoil before cooking so it didn't need washing afterwards. Cast iron is the only way to cook.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
90 to 100 pounds of lead/alloy to smelt. I don't cook food in my dutch oven.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Prepare vegetables and brown 8 lb roast in dutch oven on coals.......

Bury dutch oven in coals.......Go hunting for the day.......

Come back to camp, dig out and enjoy a diner fit for a king.......

There is nothing quite as good as dutch oven cooking while camping/hunting. Or any other time for that matter.......

AZB

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prepare vegetables and brown 8 lb roast in dutch oven on coals.......

That looks fantastic! Are those sweet onions? The reason I asked was many people use wild onions in a pinch since it only takes one or two to have the flavor of a single large onion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
AZ Beagle Can you put up that recipe for that Pot roast that you made looks Yummy thanks
Mostly what's visible on the table. I preheat the dutch oven, season and brown the roast (6-8 pounds that will fit in the dutch oven)
then add 2-3 cans whole tomatoes (including juices), quartered whole potatoes, onions, carrots, bell peppers a little celery
(a little goes a long way) oregano, pot herbs, salt and pepper and water to the top.

Make sure your dutch oven has a good tight seal when buried under the coals or most of your liquid will boil off as is shown
here....... If you can smell your roast, it's either too hot, leaking, or both.......:eek:

It was still good and edible, just had to add liquid back. It's better if you make sure it's tight.

Walt45.......those are a lot of sweet onions from the bag, sometimes I add them whole for the onion addicts.......:D

It' good eating after a long day afield.....

AZB

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What brand of Dutch oven are you using there ? & did it come pre Seasoned or did you have to season it.? Nice Recipe Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Of course you can cook it on any stove--wood, gas, electric, it is all going to taste the same (good). What Arizona is pointing out is doing it when out camping, without the above stoves available. It is rather easy, produces a great, complete meal for when you come back from deer or elk hunting all day (or fishing or whatever) and the nice thing is it takes care of itself all day. Pretty common among outdoor folks, each having their own minor variations.

Cast iron cookware doesn't come pre-cured, or seasoned as you call it. If it says that it is, and if you believe it, then I'd like to talk to you about a real good opportunity I'm offering on some beach front property here in NV.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Scouts made a peach cobbler that was hard to beat in their oven.

Welsh scouts visited here in 96 and they were sent home w/ an oven as a gift from our scouts.

Moosehunt question:
Cast iron cookware doesn't come pre-cured, or seasoned as you call it. If it says that it is, and if you believe it, then I'd like to talk to you about a real good opportunity I'm offering on some beach front property here in NV.

Is the beach front property near the NAVAL air station just w of Reno 50 mi or so?? That would be a good place for it-by the Naval air Station.

·
Registered
950 Posts
No, no! Much nicer location! 50 miles just west of Reno is well into CA. Peach cobbler in a dutch oven from coals while out in the toolies! It doesn't get much better, and that from a guy who normally doesn't even eat sweets!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
To each his own. Much of our country is ruined by some.

Im not an expert on the geography of CA and Im sure there are very nice parts.

As a rule I dont use nice and CA in the same sentence.

Of course MI has Flint,. Detroit et al.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You missed my point! 50 miles west of Reno is not in NV. That's why I'm referring to a much nicer place, not in CA! But, actually, I was surprised myself to find that there indeed are nice places in CA. We all learn!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Dutch ovens

There are several cookbooks for them & everything seems to turn out well. The first meal I cooked for my pre-wife was a venison pot roast & pineapple upside down cake in large & small Dutch ovens. A great way to clean & oil them is just make some popcorn & wipe it out when done with a rag, NO WASHING! Just remember to NEVER USE SOAP on one. The wife has almost no sense of smell since a car accident, so the Dutch ovens in the bedroom are a bust.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A simple camp meal, SOS, My Dad showed me this 50yrs ago,It has changed some over yrs. 1lb hamburger or ground venison cooked & drained 2 cans of cream of (your choice ) soup 1 Bag of tater-tots 1 can of peas or other veg (optional) cook meat add soup veg if wanted cover with tots, cover with lid for 15 mins eat up. Quick easy 1 pan clean up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts