Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Redfield Illuminator from the early 2000's that was made in Japan. I read that these were supposedly mid-upper end scopes. Mine is okay, but it didn't do well for me in a wet, cold day in Mississippi. Low light conditions killed me. I think the thing actually fogged up. Anyone have experience with these scopes? How can I test the scope to see if it actually fogged up?

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
It might have been tough to tell if it was poor low light performance or actual interior foggong of the lenses. If it were my scope, I'd take it off the rifle and place it inside the freezer for 10-12 hours. Then I'd remove it and see if the inside of the lenses seemed to fog up as the scope warms. They would more than likely stay fogged for a good while if they do fog up (after the outside condensation is gone). If not, I'd also go one step further and after the scope has warmed back up, I'd place the scope in a sink filled with warm water and see if there is any seepage of the gasses from inside (bubbles) and then after letting it sit there for an hour, take it out and see if it's fogged inside then. If the scope's seals seem compromised after those checks, I don't know of any inexpensive way to repair it and that Redfield company is no longer in business for any compensation.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.