Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on long term use in a Glock, but figured I'd share my thoughts on it's use in an AR so far.
This was a rifle I assembled early this year shortly after the new year. Short of the original couple magazines to test and flesh out and issues(prior to first cleaning), the rifle has exclusively had Fluid Film as it's only source of lubrication.

According to my box count a moment ago, I've put a little over 700 rounds through it. Here are some pictures of the more worn portions of the bolt:

Finger Bumper Gas Electronic device Auto part

Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

If you compare that top photo with the one below, you'll have an idea of how much I use to lubricate it after cleaning. Just a dab, then wipe with finger to leave a thin film.

Bumper Automotive exterior Material property Bag Auto part

For my money, I'm completely happy with it so far. I'm going to continue using it, and will probably begin changing over my bolt guns as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Looks like a pretty economic lubricant.

Good to know. Thanks.

Cheers!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,861 Posts
How's it smell?

RJ

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm working on long term use in a Glock, but figured I'd share my thoughts on it's use in an AR so far.
This was a rifle I assembled early this year shortly after the new year. Short of the original couple magazines to test and flesh out and issues(prior to first cleaning), the rifle has exclusively had Fluid Film as it's only source of lubrication.

According to my box count a moment ago, I've put a little over 700 rounds through it. Here are some pictures of the more worn portions of the bolt:

View attachment 105642

View attachment 105641

If you compare that top photo with the one below, you'll have an idea of how much I use to lubricate it after cleaning. Just a dab, then wipe with finger to leave a thin film.

View attachment 105644

For my money, I'm completely happy with it so far. I'm going to continue using it, and will probably begin changing over my bolt guns as well.

Cheers

i don't have ARs, i played with the m16 enuff to last two lifetimes. i like dab of fluid film on the bolt carrier. i used military clp at the time and it was a dab and finger the clp on to bolt carrier. a dab will do ya!!!

i remember when the guys didn't have clp and they shot anyway.......for about 2 - 3 rounds, then the action was locked up and you had to find a dab of clp or motor oil to make shoot again. too much clp on the bolt carrier can cause problems too.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How's it smell?
A little like Dapper Dan. 🤣🤣🤣

Honestly for opening a gallon can, there is almost no smell at all. If you stick your face in the can, you'll know it's lanolin but it isn't egregious.

If you wanna try some, PM me an address and I'll send a little jar.

Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have it in both bulk can and spray can, having used the spray can more for things other than guns. The spray tends to release a little more odor into the air, it's a 'sweet (not sweat!) smell', but not offensive. It's great stuff with a bunch of uses.
BTW, the spray can can get a little messy and get on other things, in addition to what you intended, so the can and rag, toothpick, cotton swab, etc. may be your better application choice for firearms and any 'fine placement' requirements.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely agree, and also have used both.

I've actually been using the bulk as my FL sizing lube for a bit over a year now.

A very LITTLE wiped on, is all you need. And you don't have to worry about your dies rusting, if you live in such a terrible humid environment as that. 😉😆

Cheers

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
This is the same product that is used as a rust-preventing automobile undercoating?
If that is a question, the manufacturer lists that as an application, as it does for lawn mowers and other equipment such as snow plows, etc. It is a temporary coating though, not the typical permanent 'tar like' automobile undercoating that most of us 'old timers' grew up with.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the same product that is used as a rust-preventing automobile undercoating?
Yes, and the same product JD dealers use to keep tractors shiney on their lots. 😉

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I know that this might be a WAG, but do you think that this would work as a spray bullet lube. I plan on picking up a can today from Lowe's and am going to give it a try as a sizing lube, but also have some cast bullets that might need a tiny bit more spray lube which I am out of.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what cast bullet lube is, so this is pure speculation.
Fluid Film is not thick or dry, like classic grease is; and it doesn't dry out. I don't think that's what you want in a cast lube, but I'm guessing.

If Lowes sells non-aerosol cans, that's the one you want for case lube. The aerosol cans aren't a easily dosed affair, more of a splattering affair.

Cheers

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
JW, I don't think you will find FF to be a satisfactory bullet lube. My experience, in both areas (bullet lube and FF) puts me in agreement with Darkker, FF is way too messy (spray can for sure) and doesn't dry. Not only will you have it all over everything (if you spray bullets), I don't know how you could keep from contaminating the powder charge once you load them. If you try it, let us know your experience.
P.S. I do think you will love the stuff for many other applications!

P.P.S. To elaborate on Darkker's point. If you think of 'spray', in the traditional sense, as a fine mist (like spray paint), you'll find FF ain't that! I'd describe it as more of a 'spit and sputter' of large 'droplets'.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you think of 'spray', in the traditional sense, as a fine mist (like spray paint), you'll find FF ain't that! I'd describe it as more of a 'spit and sputter' of large 'droplets'.
Cottage cheese in a can!:LOL:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts