Shooters Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Kdub,
I agree whole heartedly about seeds.
The bare root trees are a differnet story.
If they die, they are dead forever.
As a past landscape architect and contractor, I am basing my concerns on other bare root trees I have planted and temper my thoughts because i don't have specific expertise with persimmon trees.
Good part is that the stalks are still green under the bark, so not all is lost yet.
Bob Nisbet

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I was told sometimes you have to NOT water the bare root trees for a few weeks if they are still dormant after a few months planting. I had a Fuyu that took about 9 weeks to start leafing out, then it did quite well.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, another 3 weeks have gone by.
Four of the 20 bare root trees have leafed out and 6 others have buds that are bulging.
All still show good green when I scratch the bark.
I am still hopeful that I will get at least 15 of the 20 to leaf out.
I have each of the bare root trees in individual ground cloth holders, and all of them bedded in a special planter. By this fall, they should all be sturdy and akin to balled and burlaped. After they go dormant this coming fall, I will move them to my property in East Texas. Since threr are male and female, my plan is to plant in groups of four or five, depending on how many survive.
Bob Nisbet

·
Inactive account
380 Posts
Hmmmm, persimmon trees. Reminds me being very young and walking with my grandmother thru woods on my Dad's land in southern Arkansas. Did this a couple of times to help her gather persimmons, sassafras and other assorted things that grew wild on our land. Think her mother or grandmother was Cherokee.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This past winter I purchased 20 bare root persimmon trees. They were advertised as being 2 feet tall, but were actually 3+ tall.
I made some 14 inch deep planters for the trees and got them into potting soil the day they arrived. I was a bit concerned that 8 of them did not have any hair roots at all. The others had a goodly amount. I think the harvesters were too aggressive when they were dug up. (Note: Bare root trees tends to do better if the main stem height is cut back by between 30 and 50 percent. I cut mine back about one-third.)

It's now early May and 19 of them are leafed out, and I have hope for the last one too.
I will be coddling them till they go dormant next Fall, then will bring them to my property to plant. When I consider the male/female aspects, I think that I will plant in groups of 4, with groups being 300 feet perhaps 700 feet apart.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.