Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull the ejector assembly from my 1951 39A to replace a broken ejector spring.

The two ejector mounting screws are out, but the ejector assembly itself won't budge. I thought I might be able to thread the screws into the wrong side of the ejector assembly and pry on them to remove the assembly, but I don't want to chew up the nice blued original screws, which look to be 3-48 UNC. I also don't want to strip the threads from the ejector assembly...

I've got the assembly soaking in Kroil right now and plan to give the oil plenty of time to penetrate. Anybody have any tricks for removing the ejector assembly without damaging it? I have the replacement spring, so once I get the ejector out of the rifle, I think I have a solution.

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
One of those screws only holds the ejector in place. The attaching screw comes out and the whole unit slip out.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,457 Posts
Sounds like it is just "glued" in with crud. Suspect the Kroil will do the trick. Patience is your friend. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: kdub

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Marlin tricked a LOT of home gun mechanics by putting a screw head on what is actually a 'latch'. The exposed screw inside below the bolt only turns about eigth of a turn to lock the ejector leaf down. The ejector housing is held in by two screws coming from the outside.
The brass ejector housing can get gummed-in with varnish. Loosen the two outside screws ONE turn and gently tap the screwdriver to break it loose. A drop of Kroil helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback! My biggest concern was avoiding maintenance-induced failure. I didn't want to be banging up the screws or stripping the threads out of the ejector assembly base.

All fixed and ready for the firing line.

Aye, that slotted rivet did give me pause. I had the advantage of not being ashamed to ask directions and downloaded the four-page instruction manual that must have originally come with the rifle. It showed how that ejector latch worked, so I was wise to that old Marlin trick ;). This is the very rifle my Dad used to teach me to shoot back in the 1960s, so I was glad to get it back in business. A very sweet little rifle, and definitely a keeper. Not sure whether Dad bought it new, but I have vivid memories of going to the gun club with him and putting hundreds of rounds down range with it.

The Kroil undoubtedly helped. I threaded the screws into the ejector assembly base (with full thread engagement) from inside the rifle receiver then used a small drift to push against the base of the screws through the screw holes from outside. With tender loving care of the Kroil soak, the ejector assembly slid right out with just a light push by hand. The now-two pieces of the original ejector spring were where Marlin put them 70 years ago. The new spring went right in, with only minor filing and some fussing to ensure the spring mounted against the shoulder on the ejector base rather than under it. Righty tighty, and the ejector assembly seated flush with the inside of the receiver. Mission accomplished!

Looking forward to getting it back on the range for some serious shooting.

Thanks again for the quick turn with the advice! I'll be back when I run into more questions...

All the best!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts